Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get damaged items from Amazon often?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-11-08, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if stuff you order from Amazon usually comes in good condition or if the packaging is slightly damaged?

Lately I have been getting some pretty roughed up packaging.

Late last summer a 2dvd set came with the plastic peeling off and cuts along it.

A few months ago another one had some long marks down the side and across the packaging.

Recently a metal case came with a whole line of doted scratch marks down the side.. it was plastic wrapped to 2 other dvds on a piece of cardboard and looks like it was done when they did that.

Just today a CD that was ordered for someone else (because they don't have access to the internet and wanted to give as a gift) came with 3 sharp cracked lines right on the front of the case... I'm waiting to find out if they want me to go ahead and get a replacement since its for a gift, I wouldn't personally gift anything damaged like that.

Not to mention the some other dvds with worn packaging and the spiderman 2 dvd set from black Friday that came as a floater that I could hear rattling around in the box before I opened it.

Normally I'm not too picky and with the exception on the CD I don't think they are really worth the extra effort trying to get a replacement and lots of stuff ordered comes looking just fine, but it really makes me think twice when I want to buy something especially a gift about ordering online. With some stuff I would rather buy in a local store even if it is a few buck extra + tax and gas just to guarantee I get packaging that at least looks like it is New.
Old 12-11-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered 4 DVDs and when I got them the packaging was fine but I could hear that the disc was loose inside one of the cases. I filled out the information for a replacement and by the next day they had already mailed me a new one.
Old 12-11-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
They are usually one of the best when it comes to packaging and shipping, but one time I ordered "The Singing Detective" and although it was brand new and shrinkwrapped, the box seemed pretty beat up. I guess you could call it shopworn, but it looked worse than some of the ones I've gotten at the dump bin at wal-mart. The discs were perfect and it wasn't worth shipping it back so I kept it. Everything else I've ordered from them has been in pristine condition though - even better than if I bought it locally.
Old 12-12-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon and it's all been in great condition except a recent order of Seinfeld Season 9. It wasn't terrible, but the outer slipcase was a little creased on the sides and bent up at the corners. Everything inside was OK.
Old 12-12-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by komsik
Late last summer a 2dvd set came with the plastic peeling off and cuts along it.
A few days ago I received a DVD set (Taken) with a long cut along the spine!

Amazon used to be the retailer I could count on with the best packaging, but I've really noticed their service going downhill the last year or so.
Old 12-12-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
I've only ordered a handful of things over the years from Amazon, but I can honestly say I haven't had any problems (so far). On Thanksgiving, I ordered a Waylon Jennings CD, "Psych: The Complete Second Season" and a Randy Travis DVD. The first two items shipped lickety-split together, and were shrinkwrapped together to prevent them from rattling around in the box. No floating discs, no cracks, nothin' wrong. The only complaint I had was that the Randy Travis DVD sat in Cincinnati awaiting shipment for an entire week--but that's between me and the USPS, not Amazon.
Old 12-12-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
I bought the SNL sets from them on Black Friday, and one of the season boxes wasn't in the best of shape (edges were rounded and whitened from abuse), but I've rarely gotten anything really "damaged".
Old 12-12-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I order from Amazon a bunch, and not just movies, and I can only recall one thing that arrived even the least bit damaged. When I ordered the Buffy full series collection, there was a crease at the top of the packaging. Not a big deal to me, though.

As for floaters, I don't think you can really blame Amazon for those. I'm sure that happens a lot when in transit.
Old 12-12-08, 08:54 PM

I've had mostly great experiences from Amazon. The only exception was one box set placed in a box a bit larger than itself. The only protection was one of those plastic bags of air sitting on top. The set had obviously been bouncing around all trip and was pretty dented. Everything inside was fine and I didn't feel like returning it just because of the damaged slipcover. All my other Amazon purchases have been packed well, so maybe I just caught them on "Bring your kid to work...and let him do your job" day.
Old 12-12-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never gotten any damaged items from Amazon. Everything has been packed very well.
Old 12-13-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAnonymous
All my other Amazon purchases have been packed well, so maybe I just caught them on "Bring your kid to work...and let him do your job" day.
lol
Old 12-13-08, 05:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've ordered a lot from Amazon, never had a problem with bad packaging.
Old 12-13-08, 06:28 PM

On occasion this happens. Usually happens with only with box sets. For example when someone in shipping decided to use a padded mailer to ship me the Dirty Harry Ultimate Collection instead of using a box. It arrived all beat to hell. Amazon then sent me a replacement and again some idiot used a padded mailer. I asked for a refund instead of another replacement and sent the damaged ones back to them...
Old 12-13-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
The only time I ever had any issues with Amazon was when I ordered a spindle of CD-Rs from them. They were packed in a box that was a bit too large so they wound up thrashing around in it quite a bit. The impact broke the spindle and made retrieving the discs without ruining any a pain in the ass. Aside from that, it's been good.
Old 12-14-08, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Normally, they come in great shape, but my Monk sets were a little beaten up.

Also, alot of people are complaining about the Blu-Ray Bonds being unsealed and the like.

I have not received mine, but we'll see. I'll send it back and have them replace it. There's no excuse for sending open packages.
Old 12-14-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
All my stuff from Amazon comes in pristine shape surprisingly. I really dont like their vacuum bad to a piece of carboard style of packing, but everything I get is in a box, and is in pristine shape.
Old 12-15-08, 01:51 PM
fwc

Amazon shipped me a DVD and a 100 pack CD-R spindle in an unusually large box with just some air packs thrown in there, so the CD-R spindle was able to bash against the DVD along the way causing significant damage.
Old 12-16-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
most of the time they arrive safely

I had to return a memorex compact dvd player since that player could not play any discs

deepdiscount.com is the worst

I ordered a CD and the jewel case was shattered into several fragments and I contacted them for a refund but they don't respond to e-mails

I will never do business with them no matter if the prices are cheap.
Old 12-17-08, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by komsik
Just wondering if stuff you order from Amazon usually comes in good condition or if the packaging is slightly damaged?

Lately I have been getting some pretty roughed up packaging.
If it is anime and/or paid for by gift card, then yes. My son had placed several orders with his gift card and all but two items were completely wrecked. My own orders paid by cc during the same time period arrived in pristine condition. This happened twice. I've since skipped the gift cards and just do the shopping myself.
Old 12-18-08, 10:57 AM

99% of my Amazon orders have been well packaged and arrived without issue. Once, I ordered a special gift edition of a book, and when I got it the cover was scratched. Looked like when they opened the case they nicked it with a box cutter. They replaced it with no problem and I didn't have to pay any return shipping. I personally find that Amazon is the best web retailer for getting my orders to me in good shape.

But because of their new policy on refunding the difference in the event of a price drop I no longer order from them very often.
Old 12-18-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by 4square
If it is anime and/or paid for by gift card, then yes. My son had placed several orders with his gift card and all but two items were completely wrecked. My own orders paid by cc during the same time period arrived in pristine condition. This happened twice. I've since skipped the gift cards and just do the shopping myself.
Was it anime in amaray cases or fancy packaging?
Old 12-18-08, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Was it anime in amaray cases or fancy packaging?
Both. He picked up some of the anime legends sets from bandai, box sets with singles (slim and full cases) and few a steelcases. It went from ripped shrinkwrap to pressure crushed sets and scratches over the steelcases. Worst shipment I had ever seen.
Old 01-04-09, 07:22 PM

I have ordered may items from Amazon over the years and every order was perfect.
Old 01-05-09, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered a handful or orders and I've only had one major problem. About a month ago I ordered How I Met Your Mother Season 3. Now, not only did the tracking information say it was delivered in Cleveland Ohio (I'm in OK and this is probably more USPS fault), but the package came in a white envelope that said "reconditioned". I opened it and it had the original label, torn to shreds, and the dvd that had the corner torn to bits, almost like a dog took a bite.

Luckily, their customer service sent a replacement the next day.

Last edited by pridesticks06; 01-05-09 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-07-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Anyone else get damaged items from Amazon often?

I know my mom and sister ordered my Blu-rays from Amazon. While they were not damaged, my "Spider-Man" and "Pirates" trilogies looked like the box may have been packed too tightly. It was a little squished.

Personally, I only had one problem with getting a damaged item from Amazon:

When I received this set, the discs in both the "Frankenstein" and the "Dracula" cases were loose and all scuffed up. I was not able to watch several of the movies in these sets because my DVD player kept freezing up. I ordered a replacement set through Amazon and guess what?!?!?! SAME THING! The "Frankenstein" and the "Dracula" set had loose, scuffed discs in them. Unfortunately, Amazon would not send me a third replacement. They said that they needed to check with Universal about the packaging. Funny that during this ordeal, they were still available for purchase on their site. A couple of months later, after I had received my full refund, I took a chance and ordered a third set separately... I figured third time's a charm, right? It arrived with all the discs in tact and without scratches. So far, so good.

I can't complain too much about Amazon though. When I'd call about the problem, they were always very polite about it. When they sent out the first replacement, it arrived in 1 day.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.