Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Freaks and Geeks Yearbook to be re-released?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 10:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

According to TVShowsOnDVD.com
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Freaks-...k-Edition/9881

Pretty damn pissed about this since it was promised to be only a certain run.
Old 06-19-08, 10:14 PM
Suspended

Here's the original thread for the yearbook
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....t=freaks+geeks

Way to piss on the fans that thought they were getting something special and unique.
Old 06-19-08, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not me. i for one hope this gets re-released. i got into the show after the yearbook was released. when i first heard about it i tried ebay, but there were either none or they were ridiculously expensive. bring it on Shout!
Old 06-19-08, 10:22 PM

i see your point though.

Please ignore this email if you have already gotten it. Paul wrote the name of a product that helps a certain male problem in our last one, and we were blocked by a lot of email programs. That's why we shouldn't work blue. We apologize for being so lame at this, but hopefully you find our lameness charming.

Hey, it's us, Paul and Judd,

Okay, here's the deal. We sent out a very exciting email last week telling you all about the release of the 8 disc DVD Special Limited Edition of "Freaks and Geeks," only to find out that the email was blocked by half the mail services due to issues our tech friends refer to with words like "mail records" and "authenticity checks." But, hopefully, you are now reading this email. (If you're not, then … oh, never mind.)

And if you did receive that old email, keep reading anyway, because there's new information in this one.

Like we said, there is a Special Limited Edition of the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD, available now for pre-order! It is a true limited edition and will only be sold through our website. We are making only 25,000 of them and then that's it. We'll never make them again. We'll break the mold, lock the door, and throw away the key. The Special Limited Edition will not show up on any discount web sites and it will never be sold at a discounted price. It is a true collectible. We swear to you.

Now, there will also be a 6-DVD version available at all the usual retail outlets on April 6th. That one has all the shows and a good amount of extra stuff. But the Special Limited Edition is really cool (and sort of insane, if you get right down to it). The 8-DVD set features everything on the regular version, plus two additional DVDs packed with more than seven hours of bonus material (pretty much everything we had that we considered to be good!). These two extra discs were created exclusively for our hardcore fans. On top of that, we've put it all inside an 80 page McKinley High yearbook that we personally created. It looks just like a yearbook from 1980 and it's packed with tons of behind the scenes photos, essays, and lots of goofy stuff that we know you'll really get a kick out of. It's been a lot of work (you don't know the half of it!), but it's really been a labor of love. Hey, this is our legacy and after making everyone wait so long for these DVDs, do you think we'd just give you something crappy looking?

So, anyway, there it is. It's definitely because of all of you that we were able to get these DVDs made and, because of that, we wanted to make something special for you. This Special Limited Edition is it. We hope you're able to get one and see what we've done. If you can't, no problem. It's definitely a bit pricey. And the regular edition rocks too. But the Special Limited Edition rocks quite a bit harder.

To all our international fans: we are currently unable to sell the DVD directly overseas, because the music is clear for use only in North America. To clear it worldwide would have cost too much money -- which we don't have. We are attempting to address the issue, so all international fans please email [email protected] with the quantity you want. If we are able to supply you, we will contact you very soon.

Thanks for all your continuing support for "Freaks and Geeks." If you want to spend a little more time in F&G land, take a look at this SAT quiz that was put together by one of our freaksandgeeks.com regulars, Kibbles the Rocker. Hey, you weren't looking to get back to work anyway, were you?

Enjoy and thanks!
Judd Apatow & Paul Feig
Old 06-19-08, 10:22 PM
Suspended

The yearbook was made for the fans that signed the petition and really worked their asses off to get the show on DVD. That's why it was made in a limited amount so fans that helped would get something special and unique.

If this is true, I'll sell mine on eBay before word gets out and re-purchase it when its re-released. Then I will make sure not to support Shout Factory! in any way. This reminds me of the Full Moon BS where they magically keep finding these rare DVD sets in a warehouse.

Like we said, there is a Special Limited Edition of the "Freaks and Geeks" DVD, available now for pre-order! It is a true limited edition and will only be sold through our website. We are making only 25,000 of them and then that's it. We'll never make them again. We'll break the mold, lock the door, and throw away the key. The Special Limited Edition will not show up on any discount web sites and it will never be sold at a discounted price. It is a true collectible. We swear to you.
Get ready for some pissed off fans looking for blood.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-19-08 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as it makes them money and they have the rights to distribution, nothing in the DVD market will be kept in limited release. The same happened to Cannibal Holocaust and many anchor Bay and Full Moon releases.
Old 06-19-08, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Were not talking about something that simply went out of print, were talking about something that was promised to only be made in certain quantity's and that is it. Never again.

This may just be an error or something different...but if its the yearbook I have on my shelf I will make it a point never to purchase a single Shout! DVD again.
Old 06-19-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since I missed out on the original yearbook, I would like to purchase the re-release but even after reading that e-mail that was put out about "being limited to 25,000"...it all comes down to making money
Old 06-20-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I can see why those who managed to get the yearbook edition would get pissed, I'm personally quite happy about it. I got into the show well after the initial limited run, and would love to upgrade my copy.
Old 06-20-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, since I missed out on it, I'll probably get it as well...
Old 06-20-08, 01:17 AM

Sweet, I was going to order the regular dvd set during the Deepdiscount 20%off sale, but now I will wait for this(I did get Undeclared however). I remember looking to purchase it about two years ago to no avail.
Old 06-20-08, 01:24 AM

I don't understand, why would you never buy a release from a DVD label ever again just because they're selling something you already own?
Old 06-20-08, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was a fan of this show when it first aired, but didn't really get into collecting DVDs until a few years back. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick up one of the coolest DVD releases in a long time...so personally, I am VERY happy that I may have a chance to get it again, as the few I ever see on eBay go for an excess of $400.

That being said, if I had purchased the initial release (and I suspect I would, had I been an avid DVD collector at the time) of this limited edition yearbook, I would be EXTREMELY pissed about the new release. But rest assured, people that purchased the initial run will probably be able to tell theirs from the new release (either by UPC, or some sort of minor change).

Wouldn't it be a bitch though, for all those that purchased the initial 8-disc release, if this new release contained everything from the previous release, and then more on top of it? lol
Old 06-20-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Awesome news. With the rerelease of this and Sports Night we are in for a great fall season on DVD.
Old 06-20-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait. I had to sell my original during tough times. I will make sure this one never leaves my possession.
Old 06-20-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I missed out on the yearbook edition the first time so I'm glad that they are thinking of re-releasing it again.
Old 06-20-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

If this is true, I'll sell mine on eBay before word gets out and re-purchase it when its re-released. Then I will make sure not to support Shout Factory! in any way. This reminds me of the Full Moon BS where they magically keep finding these rare DVD sets in a warehouse.

Get ready for some pissed off fans looking for blood.
So you are so pissed off about this re-release and shady business practice that you are going to buy it and help make it a success?
Old 06-20-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If they sell new ones I still have my original one. Doesn't change what I own. I have no plans on selling mine so I don't care if it's "value" goes down.

It's one of my most prized DVD sets, I watch it fequently. Is it annoying that Johnny come latelys can now get something those of us who were "with" the show from the start only had? Sure, a bit. Is it a huge deal? No.
Old 06-20-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yeah, since I missed out on it, I'll probably get it as well...
same here! This is exciting news - I'll be buying this right away.

I purchase my movies/dvd's because I enjoy the films - not because of some perceived value down the road.
Old 06-20-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm one of the original Yearbook buyers and I'm happy that more people get a chance to own what I consider to be the best DVD ever. Best $127.50 I've ever spent; well except for the time in Vegas with the Swedish Bikini Team twins.....

I can't blame them for re-releasing it since many of the actors are well known now.

To placate the pissed off people:

Old 06-20-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You already own it.. why get mad?
Old 06-20-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, how would those who purchased the "Yearbook" feel if this was the eight-disc set, without the "Yearbook" packaging? All I have wanted is the extra content you get with the other two discs, I could live without the packaging and it would both go far to placate those who were unable to get a shot at the "Yearbook" but wanted the additional content. Perhaps they downsize all the "Yearbook" images into a standard DVD booklet inside a digipak case, to still call it the "Yearbook" edition but you don't get it in the truly deluxe packaging.

Or perhaps this run, too, is limited. Maybe only another 10,000 copies?
Old 06-20-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
You already own it.. why get mad?

because that's what you do on the internet

Seriously. I am happy that they are re-releasing it. Now I can finally pick on up and not get screwed over on ebay. There are much more pressing things in this world to get mad about other than the re-release of a DVD set.
Old 06-20-08, 10:36 AM

Judd Apatow wasn't really JUDD APATOW when that first set came out either.

Seth Rogen is also enjoying a whole lot more popularity.

A lot of people that have just discovered the show would like to have a nice edition of this too and it makes sense from a business standpoint.
Old 06-20-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
If they sell new ones I still have my original one. Doesn't change what I own. I have no plans on selling mine so I don't care if it's "value" goes down.

It's one of my most prized DVD sets, I watch it fequently. Is it annoying that Johnny come latelys can now get something those of us who were "with" the show from the start only had? Sure, a bit. Is it a huge deal? No.
I take offense to that. I too was there with the show from the start, and watched the show in its original broadcast, but missed out on the DVD because I wasn't really on the internet or into collecting DVDs at the time. So for those of us that were big fans of the show from the get-go, this is very welcomed news.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.