Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy return, but not really?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-13-08, 06:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

I was wondering, if i buy something at Best Buy (in-store), today, let's say, then next week i get some gift cards, can i go back a week or so later and apply them to today's purchase?

in essence, just return and then rebuy with the gc's?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure you can...just return with your receipt and then tell them you want to buy it with your gift cards...pretty simple
Old 11-13-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I doubt you can do it if the item is on sale at time of purchase, though... you'd probably have to rebuy it at the current price. And wait, is it opened? While I can see a very, very lenient CSR allowing you to do that, I'm sure they'd rather encourage you to buy something else...
Old 11-13-08, 10:17 PM

i think it would be fine as well. it doesn't matter if it was opened or not or on sale or not, i don't have to bring it back at all. as long as i have the reciept within 30 days it would be just like a return and then rebuy at same price using gc's. also, just like if you bought it and then by chance went on sale next week you can get adjusted with reciept.
Old 11-14-08, 11:18 AM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most gift cards say they are not good on previous purchases, so if the CSR was being a pain, they could deny you. Also you would have trouble if it was on sale when you bought it. They give you $14.99 for the DVD, ring it up at $19.99 and you're out $5. They won't give you last week's sale price this week, receipt or not.
Old 11-14-08, 11:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I agree, if the price went up you're likely going to have to pay the higher price.

But if the price if the same, and they still deny you, simply repurchase with your giftcard, then immediately return the new purchase with the old receipt. I'd probably walk out to my car and then back in just in case you get a CS in a really bad mood.
Old 11-14-08, 11:56 AM

really on the above? i didn't think it would be a problem. yes, it is on sale this week, i was getting some gc's next week which means the price would go back to regular, then i wanted to do it. didn't think i couldn't with the original sale priced reciept. that sucks.
Old 11-14-08, 04:57 PM

also, couldn't be like a price match a week later?

i know at least a week or so you can go back to BB and get a price match with reciept, right?

so why not go back and use gc's even if release goes back to non-sale price and still get previous sale with gc?

has anyone actually done this successfully?
Old 11-14-08, 05:02 PM

For a price match, you have to do it during the sale period. YMMV of course, but technically you have to do it that week.

What's the rush to use the gift cards anyway? Do you plan to never shop at BB again? Unless i was boycotting them or flat broke, I'd not go thru the hassle and just use the gift cards the next time I wanted something at BB.
Old 11-14-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Another possibility: Go online and reserve the item for in-store pick-up. You'll have 8 days to go pick up the item, so in effect, you'll be locking in the sale price. Now this still may not work, since you have to enter your cc info when you go online. It seems like it would work to produce the gift cards when you pick the item up and indicate you'd like to pay using them.
Old 11-14-08, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Another possibility: Go online and reserve the item for in-store pick-up. You'll have 8 days to go pick up the item, so in effect, you'll be locking in the sale price. Now this still may not work, since you have to enter your cc info when you go online. It seems like it would work to produce the gift cards when you pick the item up and indicate you'd like to pay using them.
Good idea. Wait until Saturday to buy, giving you the longest window. Still might not work like cards said, but maybe.
Old 11-14-08, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
For a price match, you have to do it during the sale period. YMMV of course, but technically you have to do it that week.

What's the rush to use the gift cards anyway? Do you plan to never shop at BB again? Unless i was boycotting them or flat broke, I'd not go thru the hassle and just use the gift cards the next time I wanted something at BB.
no, no, i just wanted to get "The Sopranos"(Complete) at the sale price, then next week i know i am getting gc's (fri, sat) and wanted to use it for that so i can at least justify the purchase and not wait till DD gets it in again.

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
good idea, but i don't think i will be able to get it in that window.