Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

La Femme Publique (Andrzej Zulawski)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend from the Times, David Mackenzie, is working on a wonderful upcoming project:

Later this year, new DVD label Mondo Vision will be releasing its debut title, the first ever English-friendly release of Andrzej Zulawski's La Femme Publique ("The Public Woman")

Specifications for this release include:

- Digitally restored transfer mastered in high definition progressive video (1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen, dual layer)
- French Dolby Digital 2.0 dual mono audio
- First ever English-language subtitle translation (optional)
- Feature length audio commentary with Andrzej Zulawksi and biographer Daniel Bird (recorded specially for this release)
- Exclusive new interview with Andrzej Zulawski (recorded specially for this release)
- 1984 theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- DVD-ROM content (original screenplay and high resolution images)

In addition to the standard single-disc release, a limited edition will also be released featuring a bonus CD containing the film's original score, as well as a special commemorative booklet.

Two more Zulawski titles, L'important c'est d'aimer (1975, starring Romy Schneider, Fabio Testi and Klaus Kinski) and L'amour braque (1985, starring Sophie Marceau and Francis Huster), will also be released this year.
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-05-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Includes: Soundtrack CD, 10 Lobby Cards, 48pg commemorative Book, Special Case Limited to 2000 Numbered Copies

Wow, I can't wait to see what else Mondo Vision has in store!
Old 09-06-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Wow, I can't wait to see what else Mondo Vision has in store!
I have the rough-screener print at home (will have a complete-version screener review as soon as the disc arrives from the UK, it is in the mail). All I have to say about the rough-screener is that it is absolutely, hands-down, a 5 out of 5 transfer. Progressive, unfiltered, spectacular.

The amount of effort, detail, and care our friends from Mondo have put into this project may well crown them as the newcomer DVD-label of the year. This should include all-market regions.

This a very powerful statement indeed but thus far I have been nothing but utterly impressed.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-28-08, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this only available from Amazon? None of the other e-tailers seem to carry it, and I'd like to pick up the limited edition during the 20% off sale.
Old 09-28-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

NoirFan:

There is a slight delay with the manufacturer.

Pro-B
Old 10-18-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro-B, any news from David Mackenzie on this? Amazon is still listing the 30th of this month, yet it is still not listed at other e-tailers.

From what I've followed, Amazon has had the more expensive Limited Edition version priced at $44.99 the vast majority of the time. However, it was listed at $39.99 for a very brief time a few weeks ago, and again today it is listed at $39.99. I think I'll go ahead with a pre-order today to lock in that price (and also to ensure that I don't miss out on the Limited Edition).
Old 10-18-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i want to get this too but I want to see if it will be cheaper somewhere else. more news are needed.
Old 10-19-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
Pro-B, any news from David Mackenzie on this?
I have the SE with me. The transfer is absolutely beautiful - progressive, unfiltered. The packaging is also beautiful and very stylish. Dave informed me that there were some issues with the production/replication but these are being worked on and I believe that the two versions will be available shortly.

I strongly encourage anyone who has even the slightest of interest in Zulawski to consider this project.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-28-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon now says November 11th, and back up to $44.99 again.
Old 10-30-08, 10:27 PM

Aren't there more than one cut available of this movie? If so, which cut is this?
Old 11-10-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still wondering why this only seems to be available at Amazon and Target. Weird.

(And for that matter, why is this UK-produced title only sold sold over here?)
Old 11-10-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Gypo66
I'm still wondering why this only seems to be available at Amazon and Target. Weird.

(And for that matter, why is this UK-produced title only sold sold over here?)
A quick clarification: even though there are UK people involved with this project Mondo Vision is actually a US-based distrib. For the above reason I was also under the impression that Mondo Vision were based in the UK but they are actually based out of California.

Regardless, I could not be any more enthusiastic about their work and wish them the best of luck!

Pro-B
Old 11-10-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro-B, just read your DVD review for this title.

On a related note, I noticed you now have nothing listed in your profile as to "upcoming reviews". I take it that the LA FEMME PUBLIQUE DVD review - your 499th for DVDTalk - is going to be your final DVD review for this site?
Old 11-10-08, 02:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SPRBD
Aren't there more than one cut available of this movie? If so, which cut is this?
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like there were two cuts of the film.
Old 11-10-08, 03:04 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
A quick clarification: even though there are UK people involved with this project Mondo Vision is actually a US-based distrib. For the above reason I was also under the impression that Mondo Vision were based in the UK but they are actually based out of California.

Regardless, I could not be any more enthusiastic about their work and wish them the best of luck!

Pro-B
I second that emotion! A company engaging in serious and much wanted DVD-releases of a much maligned and neglected director like Zulawski deserves the highest of praise. We're damn lucky to finally get to see these obscure films in the best possible of transfers...
Old 11-10-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Pro-B, just read your DVD review for this title.

On a related note, I noticed you now have nothing listed in your profile as to "upcoming reviews". I take it that the LA FEMME PUBLIQUE DVD review - your 499th for DVDTalk - is going to be your final DVD review for this site?
Yes, Flix! This was my last review. I wanted to do it here as I thought that La femme publique is a very special project from true enthusiasts who I believe have put a great deal of effort into it hoping to please everyone.

Ciao,
Por-B
Old 11-10-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if this is your final review for this site i just want to thank you for all the help and hardwork that you've put in. I know I've appreciated it and and your help and info. many of us have enjoyed the hundred of reviews and recommendations you've brought forward.
Old 11-10-08, 04:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
ah man, we'll miss ya Pro-B
Old 11-10-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second BuddhaWake's comments. Your contributions will be missed. Will someone else be handling international DVD reviews?
Old 11-10-08, 07:30 PM

yes indeed - good luck pro-b.
Old 11-10-08, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like there were two cuts of the film.
So, there are two cuts of the filem, but only one on the DVD? If so, what are the differences between the 2?
Old 11-10-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
if this is your final review for this site i just want to thank you for all the help and hardwork that you've put in. I know I've appreciated it and and your help and info. many of us have enjoyed the hundred of reviews and recommendations you've brought forward.
Thank you for your kind words Angel. Indeed awhile ago I decided to leave the review panel. And while I've committed myself to a different site already I would certainly continue to share news and articles that come my way with all of you.

Originally Posted by Giles
ah man, we'll miss ya Pro-B
Thank you Giles! I would do my best to check the forum in the morning and provide some updates at least once a week.

I second BuddhaWake's comments. Your contributions will be missed. Will someone else be handling international DVD reviews?
Thank you as well NoirFan! Also, I would think that most of the international releases will be spread between the staff. Please keep in touch

Originally Posted by samper
yes indeed - good luck pro-b.
Thank you Samper. As I mentioned above though I would keep an eye on the International section.

Once again, thank you everyone!

Pro-B
Old 11-11-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro-B, thanks for all your help over the years and best wishes to you in your future endeavors!

Getting back to LA FEMME PUBLIQUE, following on the anticipation generated by the announced release date of November 11th, I was a little disappointed to see the notice of "usually ships in 1 to 2 months" when I checked Amazon earlier today. But when I went to check my actual order status, it does say that my order is being prepped for shipment and that it cannot be cancelled or changed...so I'm hopeful it will ship in the coming few days.
Old 11-11-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But when I went to check my actual order status, it does say that my order is being prepped for shipment and that it cannot be cancelled or changed...so I'm hopeful it will ship in the coming few days.
Keep us updated on your order. I asked for this for Xmas, so hopefully it won't get delayed for any extensive length of time, if at all.
Old 11-11-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep us updated on your order.
Sure thing. Right now it is showing November 17th as my estimated ship date.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.