Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon.com "Import Fees Deposit" for non-US purchases

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-21-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

If you haven't noticed it already, there is now an "Import Fees Deposit" on non-US Amazon.com orders, including Canada.

This started on orders placed after October 15th.

They also may be using DHL, rather than USPS and Canada Post for our deliveries.

This sounds like pretty bad news, especially combined with the Canadian Dollar nosediving, and also with the previous huge increase in shipping charges.
Old 10-22-08, 09:53 AM
Moi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF!? Thank you sooooo much for pointing this out, Andicus, because no, I did not know this and frankly, I don't know if I would have noticed! And here I was just thinking $8 S&H for a DVD seemed pretty high... and now they're adding another $3.65 on top? That's crazy!

Meanwhile, I was looking there because the DVD I wanted and was about to order has become "not available" anymore on Amazon.ca.
Old 10-22-08, 11:22 AM

This really sucks!

Does this include the "Brokerage Fee" as well or just the duty and/or taxes?

James
Old 10-22-08, 11:28 AM

I am not sure now that this applies to all orders. It's not very clear but it looks like it depends on the shipping method you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=596184

I hope I am right and it's not mandatory.

James
Old 10-22-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesDFarrow
I am not sure now that this applies to all orders. It's not very clear but it looks like it depends on the shipping method you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...&nodeId=596184

I hope I am right and it's not mandatory.

James
I wish you were right, too, and yeah, that's how it reads. However, if you try to checkout, you'll see that the fee is applicable for all orders. I think that is the old text, from when they used USPS/Canada Post for the cheapest delivery method, while they used various courier services for the quicker delivery methods.
Old 10-22-08, 06:10 PM

Yeah, found that on another page.

I e-mailed them about the "Brokerage Fee", as to whether the Import Fees Deposit" covers it (or just the duty and/or taxes) but all I got was a standard form letter reply.

They confirmed it (deposit) applies to all shipments to Canada but did not mention the brokerage fee (which I have seen cost $30.00 or more).

The other bugger part is if there is no one home to receive the package you have to have it re-directed to your work or wherever. That can be a real hassel as well.

James
Old 10-31-08, 01:20 AM

I was surprised and disappointed to see this additional charge when I tried to check out three James Bond Blu-rays... Not sure if I want "courier" delivery, as Canada Post worked out fine. I was getting deliveries in about four days.

Amazon applied a $5 discount to my order:

Items: $69.85
Shipping & Handling: $13.96
Best Value Savings: -$5.00

Total Before Tax: $78.81
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $8.70
Order Total: $87.51
So, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I really want these James Bond flicks and the bilingual packaging here, makes them look like shit. After exchange (the CDN dollar has strengthened a bit the past couple of days), it works out to be approx $8 more importing than buying locally. *shrugs*...

What if the actual Import Fees are more than the Import Fees Deposit I was charged?

For items sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc., you will not be charged any additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Merchants, please check the applicable Merchant's policies.
Although it's not clear, I would assume that by reading this, that if there are more charges applicable to my package, I will not be charged anymore than the $8.70 I already paid for the order?

I also emailed them about who they're using for shipping? It's not clear. All it says is "Standard International Shipping". If any of the courier companies are being used now for "normal mail", I'll be cancelling this order and will have to find another DVD/Blu-ray etailer. Their fees are ridiculous!

Last edited by ChristianB; 10-31-08 at 01:40 AM.
Old 10-31-08, 06:44 AM

They use DHL for shipping to Canada. Depending on what delivery option you choose, it goes by Regular DHL (couriered to your door) or DHL Global Mail (DHL takes it from Amazon to the border and turns it over to Canada Post for delivery by mail).

They still won't answer me though on whether or not the extra fees also cover the "Brokerage Fee" that DHL charges when they deliver it to your door. Or do you pay that at the door.

Really aggrevating.

James
Old 10-31-08, 10:12 PM

Wow. This stinks. I was buying from Amazon.com mainly because the bilingual covers here in Canada really tick me off. (Nothing against the French language, but as a serious movie collector I hate having the original cover artwork messed up).

Looks like I'm going to have to find alternate suppliers.
Old 11-01-08, 01:58 AM

Good question guys.

What other suppliers have you used and what was your experience like with them?

BTW, Amazon shipped my three James Bond Blu-ray discs today so I'll keep you posted on delivery next week.

Cheers,
Christian
Old 11-01-08, 11:32 AM

I've shopped bn.com a few times before and never been charged taxes/fees at the border, but I think I've probably just been lucky. Plus, their prices aren't that competitive.

dvdplanet.com should be having their 20% off sale in the next few weeks and that's good news. However, you will be charged taxes/fees at the border and their normal prices aren't usually competitive either.

Canadian consumer import laws suck. Anything coming over the border worth $20 or more gets dinged by CBSA with taxes and a $5 "administration" fee. I believe Americans have something like a $200 or $300 exemption per shipment.
Old 11-01-08, 03:01 PM

There aren't really any other good ALT US retailer for us cdn's to order from anymore now that amazon.com abandoned us.
Old 11-03-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts
What you really need is some kindly American to let you ship stuff to him, who will then relay stuff to you. Of course, that only works if the wait-twice-as-long-to-ship-it-twice method works for you, and if the shipping costs are less expensive that way than going direct to you from the US.
Old 11-03-08, 04:23 PM

I've been looking at a mail forwarding service. These are two companies I am considering:

bongous.com

usglobalmail.com

Amazon.com has free shipping within the U.S. over a certain threshold, and these companies appear to have competitve rates. However, I assume we Canucks would still get dinged with the taxes/fees at the border.
Old 11-10-08, 02:10 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, found that on another page.

I e-mailed them about the "Brokerage Fee", as to whether the Import Fees Deposit" covers it (or just the duty and/or taxes) but all I got was a standard form letter reply.

They confirmed it (deposit) applies to all shipments to Canada but did not mention the brokerage fee (which I have seen cost $30.00 or more).

The other bugger part is if there is no one home to receive the package you have to have it re-directed to your work or wherever. That can be a real hassel as well.

James
I found this forum yesterday.I just found out about Amazon.com policy re shipping to Canada and its not good about the new "import fee" charge, but that could be the Can. govt. making sure they get Customs tax. I emailed Amazon.com yesterday and asked if any brokers fee is charged by DHL Global Mail for Standard Intl. shipping but they just sent a form letter about Import tax, but didn't answer about if DHL Global Mail charge a brokers fee which was what I want to know the most. I emailed them again today and asked same question. Since its DHL Global MAIL, that should mean it goes by MAIL and not a courier, and doesn't that mean it will go to Canada Post at the border and be delivered to customers by Canada Post, so we should just have to pay the "Import fee" to Can. Post along with Canada Post usual "handling fee" ?.

I am interested to see what ChristianB says about the DVD's he was getting from Amazon.com any day, to see if DHL charged a brokers fee which can cost $25.00.

If Amazon.com want Canadian business, they should at least drop shipping fee on Can.orders from $8.00 to $5.00 instead of trying to get us to buy from Amazon.ca who a lot of times don't have the DVD you want or its $20.00 more than Amazon.com and should also make it very clear on their site if DHL Global Mail charges a brokers fee for delivery. Has anybody found out yet if Can. Post delivers the DVD or DHL?
Old 11-10-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
I refuse to buy from Amazon.com unless I'm desperate to buy a certain item and have no other option. The shipping rates to Canada are a ripoff and trying to get online customer service is like pulling teeth. Amazon's arrogance toward and contempt for potential customers have become breathtaking.
Old 11-10-08, 06:41 PM

I still stay this is a scheme to get us to buy from our countries own store, and pay their over inflated prices there. They first tried crazy shipping prices, and when that didn't work as well as they planed. They've now decided to try out crazy import fees.
Old 11-11-08, 12:08 PM

I picked up my three James Bond Blu-ray discs from the post office last night actually. There were no additional charges applicable to the package. It was NOT sent by "Courier". It's just regular parcel post. Actually, there's nothing to indicate that the package was shipped a different way. When comparing it to a couple of older Amazon.com boxes I had lying around my apartment, my latest order is *identical*. No mention of contents. No declaration of value.

So, in essence, the shipping method has not changed. The import fees seem to be an internal change - one which I've emailed Amazon about. There's no DHL phone number to contact nor can I track my package online at DHL's website to access an additional information related to the payment of these fees. The only proof I have of fees is when I placed my order - and this is a guess, nothing more. I suspect that realistically no fees have been paid period, just as all my other Amazon.com orders EVER MADE. I'm looking for a refund of these actually.

This whole matter just pisses me off simply because of all the extra running around that I suspect isn't necessary.

BTW, Deep Discount is having their 25% sale until November 23. I've used them twice in the past. Two orders. One was taxed, the other wasn't. So if you're planning to use them, it's a crapshoot whether you'll end up paying taxes plus the dreaded $5 handing fee. Also, orders are not nearly as fast as Amazon either - so patience is required...

Last edited by ChristianB; 11-11-08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 01:43 PM

If you order by the cheapest shipping option it is shipped "Global Mail" This is a DHL Service. They pick up at Amazon, take it to the border, customs clear the stuff, and then turn it over to Canada Post for delivery. So there is no additional fees (you don't even pay Canada Post's $5.00 fee that they used to charge for collecting the duty and/or taxes for Customs).

So the import fees should only be for what they estimate the duty and/or taxes are (if you have it shipped the cheapest way).

Now if you have ii shipped by DHL's regular courier service, they will customs clear it and they will deliver it. That's where we don't know it the import fees cover the "brokerage" or is that extra at the door.

Like someone else said, it looks like it's just to make sure the Canadian government gets their duty and/or taxes on every shipment. The USPS way sometimes you got lucky and there were no charges. It was just delivered by Canada Post.

The new way, you can't avoid paying the duty and/or taxes every time.

James
Old 11-11-08, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Calmuser
I still stay this is a scheme to get us to buy from our countries own store, and pay their over inflated prices there. They first tried crazy shipping prices, and when that didn't work as well as they planed. They've now decided to try out crazy import fees.
I've always thought the same thing. They ignore the fact that Amazon.com site has a lot more variety in DVD's than Amazon.ca. I don't mind ordering from Amazon.ca IF they have the DVD movie I want AND if the price at Amazon.ca price is not $10.00 or $20.00 more than Amazon.com but the problem is, that is sometimes the case. It doesn't bother me as much about the import fees. They seem to be close to 13% of the value of the item which we would have to pay Amazon.ca for the same DVD. Also, we would have to pay 13% tax (in most provinces) if we bought from a store in Canada. I strongly suspect that Canada Customs are taking action on Amazon.com sending packages to Canadian customers and they (Can. Customs) are not getting the 13% tax they should be getting if it werent for the fact that Amazon.com have always sent their Canadian customers packages to a warehouse in Canada before delivery. But I agree about the inflated prices on Amazon.ca and I am wondering why Amazon.com changed to DHL and I was told by Amazon.com in a reply I got today that DHL pick up shipments from Amazon.com fulfillment centres and USPS picks up shipments near the border and Canada Post picks them up and delivers to customer in Canada. I think that is probably what happens if you ask for Standard International mail, but if you ask for priority, seems you get UPS or another courier. But why are they using DHL if they also have USPS? I will post the reply they sent me today in another message.
Old 11-11-08, 08:22 PM
Cool New Member

If you order by the cheapest shipping option it is shipped "Global Mail" This is a DHL Service. They pick up at Amazon, take it to the border, customs clear the stuff, and then turn it over to Canada Post for delivery. So there is no additional fees (you don't even pay Canada Post's $5.00 fee that they used to charge for collecting the duty and/or taxes for Customs).

I agree with you James about the "import fee" being an estimate of Customs taxes which I suspect Canada Customs have decided to charge Amazon.com. By the way on DVD movies made in the US. or any item made in the U.S. there is no duty. Just Customs tax which is made up of Provincial and Federal taxes (GST and PST

So the import fees should only be for what they estimate the duty and/or taxes are (if you have it shipped the cheapest way).

Now if you have ii shipped by DHL's regular courier service, they will customs clear it and they will deliver it. That's where we don't know it the import fees cover the "brokerage" or is that extra at the door.

Like someone else said, it looks like it's just to make sure the Canadian government gets their duty and/or taxes on every shipment. The USPS way sometimes you got lucky and there were no charges. It was just delivered by Canada Post.

The new way, you can't avoid paying the duty and/or taxes every time.

James
Old 11-11-08, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

If you order by the cheapest shipping option it is shipped "Global Mail" This is a DHL Service. They pick up at Amazon, take it to the border, customs clear the stuff, and then turn it over to Canada Post for delivery.

I got an email from Amazon.com yesterday and they said something a bit different from you said above. They said DHL pick up the shipments at fulfillment centres and take it to USPS somewhere and UPS takes it to the border and Can. Post pick it up there and deliver it to customer. I'll post that portion of the email I got. I can't figure why they are using DHL AND USPS. Why wouldn't they just use USPS like they always did.

>So there is no additional fees (you don't even pay Canada Post's $5.00 fee that they used to charge for collecting the duty and/or taxes for Customs).

Did you receive a shipment under the new import fees procedute and have to pay the estimated import fees?

>So the import fees should only be for what they estimate the duty and/or taxes are (if you have it shipped the cheapest way).

I think you are right James. A bit picky, but when item is made in the U.S. there is no duty, only Customs taxes of 13% in Ontario (for example) and slightly different percentages in a few other provinces which is the same amount of GST and PST we pay when we buy items from stores in Canada for DVD's and books and most products. I think Amazon.com have to pay the tax to the Canadian govt. because Amazon.com have sent DVD movies/books to Canada for years and Can. Customs never had to pay the 13% tax, so now Can. Customs want it. The import estimate seems to be close in amount to what the Customs tax would be if the item was bought in Canada. I don't think Amazon.com get that fee. I think its the Can. govt.

>Now if you have ii shipped by DHL's regular courier service, they will customs clear it and they will deliver it. That's where we don't know it the import fees cover the "brokerage" or is that extra at the door.

I think that could be the procedure if you choose "priority" mail from the U.S. but on Amazon.com site they mention UPS and DHL, and Standard is DHL and USPS. These are the parts that are not as clear as they could be on Amazon.com website. If a U.S. courier have to clear Canada Customs at the border, you could end up having to pay $25.00 or maybe more for the courier to complete docs. I would never use UPS/Fedex or any courier from the US to Canada. You'll be ripped off.

>Like someone else said, it looks like it's just to make sure the Canadian government gets their duty and/or taxes on every shipment. The USPS way sometimes you got lucky and there were no charges. It was just delivered by Canada Post.

>The new way, you can't avoid paying the duty and/or taxes every time.

James
It was me who said that and I think it is true. Can. Customs have suddenly decided to crack down on Amazon.com shipments to Canadians. The new way will mean you pay the "import fee" every time. The $5.00 for Canada Post "handling" fee bugged me more than the tax. Last month I got a DVD from Amazon.UK, with a value of $20.57 Can.$ and I couldn't believe that Customs actually charged me duty and tax, because I was over my $20.00 exemption by .57 cents. It was $4.09 for Customs tax and $5.00 to the post office for their handling fee. The Post office handling fee was more than the tax.
Old 11-11-08, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ChristianB
I picked up my three James Bond Blu-ray discs from the post office last night actually. There were no additional charges applicable to the package. It was NOT sent by "Courier". It's just regular parcel post. Actually, there's nothing to indicate that the package was shipped a different way. When comparing it to a couple of older Amazon.com boxes I had lying around my apartment, my latest order is *identical*. No mention of contents. No declaration of value.

Maybe the person who sent me a reply from Amazon.com yesterday was close to the correct procedure. He told me that DHL pick up shipments from Amazon.com fulfillment center in the U.S. and take shipments close to U.S. border where USPS pick up shipments and deliver to Can. Post and Can. post deliver to the customer. But if thats the case, why would they need DHL at all? why not just USPS as its always been.
I checked an Amazon.com envelope I have from a few weeks ago, and there is a U.S address in the top left side of the package, and a Canadian address on the top right side, which I think is their Canadian warehouse address for Amazon.ca shipments. That way, Amazon.com could send shipments to Canadian customers via Canadian warehouse.
I'm surprised at your package having no declared value when value is over $20.00 Can.$. If that is the case, how could Canada Customs know how much tax to charge you unless they opened the package. If package is over $20.00 Amazon.com would be required to state it on the package somewhere.

>So, in essence, the shipping method has not changed. The import fees seem to be an internal change - one which I've emailed Amazon about.

The "import fees" is the estimate of duty and taxes owing to the Canadian govt. Amazon.com customer service reps who reply to you may not know all the details. I think Canadian govt. get the "import fees" not Amazon.com. They mention about duty and taxes being the "import fees" on one of their web pages.

>There's no DHL phone number to contact nor can I track my package online at DHL's website to access an additional information related to the payment of these fees. The only proof I have of fees is when I placed my order - and this is a guess, nothing more. I suspect that realistically no fees have been paid period, just as all my other Amazon.com orders EVER MADE. I'm looking for a refund of these actually.

I doubt you will get a refund of the fees. Amazon.com have stated they are an estimate of duty and tax to be paid to Customs, which they mean is Canada Customs tax.

>This whole matter just pisses me off simply because of all the extra running around that I suspect isn't necessary.

The confusion and the unclear way that Amazon.com states about why they changed to DHL and not using USPS gets to me. I have always used Standarad International shipping, so I don't know what happened about priority shipping to Canada before. Did priority always come by UPS?

BTW, Deep Discount is having their 25% sale until November 23. I've used them twice in the past. Two orders. One was taxed, the other wasn't. So if you're planning to use them, it's a crapshoot whether you'll end up paying taxes plus the dreaded $5 handing fee. Also, orders are not nearly as fast as Amazon either - so patience is required...
Who are Deep Discount? I agree the $5.00 Post office handling fee gets to me too.
Old 11-11-08, 09:17 PM
Cool New Member

They use DHL for shipping to Canada. Depending on what delivery option you choose, it goes by Regular DHL (couriered to your door) or DHL Global Mail (DHL takes it from Amazon to the border and turns it over to Canada Post for delivery by mail).

They still won't answer me though on whether or not the extra fees also cover the "Brokerage Fee" that DHL charges when they deliver it to your door. Or do you pay that at the door.

Really aggrevating.

James
Quoted below is part of reply I got yesterday from Amazon.com about mail/courier procedures. I was going to put it in a separate message on this same thread but don't know how to do that:

"Any customs or import duties owed on the value of the original shipment will be levied once the package reaches the destination country. We have no control over what these charges may be, since your country decides what taxes andduties will be levied on goods shipped to your country. You may want to contact your local customs office for more information on these charges.

Once the order is placed using priority international shipping method then the carrier charge an amount for the delivery of order. Charges also depends upon the carrier of the delivery. We now use Deutsche Post Global Mail exclusively to pick up Canadian WorldMail shipments from our U.S. fulfillment centers. Deutsche Post Global Mail clears the shipments across the border and final delivery is made by Canada Post. We believe that Deutsche Post will provide our customers with a more efficient delivery service. DHL has contracted the U.S. Postal Service to make the final delivery for @ Home packages. DHL takes these shipments from our fulfillment centers and delivers them to the local post office closest to the destination. Please note that while the U.S. Postal Service will make the ultimate delivery, the tracking information will reflect the package's progress from our door to yours."
Old 11-12-08, 08:16 AM

If the import fees are only 13% of the value then that's not a bad deal.
You are saving the $5.00 Canada Post fee. Of course you will never get "lucky" again when a shipment wasn't caught by Customs and you didn't pay anything.

Can anyone confirm it's exactly 13%?

James

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.