True Blood - "Burning House of Love" - 10/19/08

Old 10-19-08, 11:20 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
True Blood - "Burning House of Love" - 10/19/08

"Burning House of Love"
Spoiler:
Sookie's painful childhood revelation about her Uncle Bartlett spurs Bill into action. Despite her skepticism, Tara agrees to pay for an exorcism to purge a demon out of Lettie Mae. In search of V juice, Jason travels to Fangtasia, where he bonds with an adventurous young woman named Amy. A trio of rednecks decide to exact vigilante justice on a pack of vampires who crashed Merlotte's in search of their wayward mate, Bill.
Old 10-19-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Why would HBO decide to put this in the same time slot as Dexter? No chance that there might be some fan overlap between two series featuring one of the stars of Six Feet Under and that shows creator.
Old 10-19-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
They both reair so many times I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. I usally DVR both when they first air. Tonight I had to wait for the first Dexter reair because of the football overrun.
Old 10-19-08, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, what do you know another episode filled with characters that are written to be the biggest idiots on the face of the planet. And and episode full of, "Hey, a 2 year old could figure out what's happening here" moments that stump the characters. After a couple of weeks of decent eps the show has regressed to what it truly is, complete trash and utter stupidity with idiotic plots and twists that aren't really twists and don't really matter.
Old 10-19-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Thompson
Hey, what do you know another episode filled with characters that are written to be the biggest idiots on the face of the planet. And and episode full of, "Hey, a 2 year old could figure out what's happening here" moments that stump the characters. After a couple of weeks of decent eps the show has regressed to what it truly is, complete trash and utter stupidity with idiotic plots and twists that aren't really twists and don't really matter.
Why are you still watching?
Old 10-19-08, 11:54 PM

and tonight we saw Janis Ian's breasts

i'm still waiting for the full monty from Jason

i love the drama and acting on the show, but the constant nudity is the cherry on top!
Old 10-20-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, first it was Anna Paquin, and now Lizzy Caplan. This show is becoming the one stop titty shop. I like. I mean, that's not the only thing about the show I like, but it helps..
Old 10-20-08, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lizzy Caplan is nice!
Old 10-20-08, 01:07 AM

I, too, enjoyed the Lizzy Caplan nudity.

Aren't you the same guy that came in here for the series premiere thread and started crap with SFU fans? Aren't you also the guy who comes in here every single week and complains constantly? If you hate it so much just stop watching it.
Old 10-20-08, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Why are you still watching?
Because as I've said many times I do enjoy it for the train wreck factor. To watch TV that is actually this bad, that's why it was scaring me when it showed signs of improvements for the past few eps, but I knew I could count on these writers and this production team to start sucking it up again.

Originally Posted by John Slider
Aren't you the same guy that came in here for the series premiere thread and started crap with SFU fans? Aren't you also the guy who comes in here every single week and complains constantly? If you hate it so much just stop watching it.
I'm the guy who stated an opinion on SFU and all the SFU fans showed their inability to handle criticism of their show by flying into a tizzy. As for why I watch, I explained above, shows that are so bad that they are endlessly fun to take apart and still watch appeal to me. I haven't been privy to one in some years, but now True Blood is that show, it's so horrendously bad that it's fun.

Last edited by Bill Thompson; 10-20-08 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you complain when it gives you what you want and when it doesn't? Man, you've got all your bases covered.
Old 10-20-08, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
So you complain when it gives you what you want and when it doesn't? Man, you've got all your bases covered.
Nah, I generally don't have to complain all that much. Really, the only thing I've been complaining about with this show is the fact that the writers continue to write every character in the town to be complete and utter idiots. Outside of that I stopped complaining about everything else for the last four or so episodes and just enjoyed the train wreck for what it is.
Old 10-20-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Anyone else find it a little disturbing how Sookie is seemingly abused by so many of the men in her life?

Last week, Jason bitch-slapped her across a bed. A few weeks ago she had a creepy moment with Sam, and this week he tore a scarf off of her neck and publicly humiliated her.

At this point, I really can't stand Jason at all. I don't think his character is redeemable. He was a creepy asshole before he became a junkie.

Loved the spoon trick.

And yet another decent display of female flesh. Though I'm not sure why the Wiccan chick left her panties on.

Hoping that the exorcism was fake. Having an "alcohol demon" make an appearance would be traveling too far into Buffy territory.

I'm really starting to warm up to Tara. Her bitchiness is just a defense mechansim that she's put because she's been fucked around badly by the people around her.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-20-08 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 08:18 AM

The character of Tara has greatly improved, she was a one note stereotype when she was first introduced, but she's now quite the interesting character that isn't a stereotype in any way.
Old 10-20-08, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Anyone else find it a little disturbing how Sookie is seemingly abused by so many of the men in her life?

Last week, Jason bitch-slapped her across a bed. A few weeks ago she had a creepy moment with Sam, and this week he tore a scarf off of her neck and publicly humiliated her.

At this point, I really can't stand Jason at all. I don't think his character is redeemable. He was a creepy asshole before he became a junkie.
You have "the bible belt" as your location. Don't you know people just like Jason and the rednecks on this show? I know I do being from Texas and traveling to Louisiana many times. Yeah they are disgusting caricatures but not too far from the real thing at all.
I am enjoying Jason immensely. Very hot and stupid. Love this show.
Old 10-20-08, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like Sam is definately a werewolf after this episode.
Old 10-20-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget the revelation about her uncle. I'm a little disappointed that plot point seems to have been dealt with so quickly.
Old 10-20-08, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it just me or did Anna Paquin look way smoking hot in that first scene in the tub.

It's almost like the makeup / hair stylist for the show has been keeping her a little pale weird looking until now, and adds to the effect of her deflowering. Now that she's not a virgin she has color in her cheeks and looks way sexier... IMHO.
Old 10-20-08, 03:00 PM

I'm really starting to warm up to Tara. Her bitchiness is just a defense mechansim that she's put because she's been fucked around badly by the people around her.
I loves me some Tara!
Old 10-20-08, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Is it just me or did Anna Paquin look way smoking hot in that first scene in the tub.
No, you're not the only one!
Old 10-20-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The central mystery may have taken a backseat. Still I enjoyed not only the further exploration of the vampire mythology in this series, but the show ratcheting up a bit the camp factor.

Tara's "demon" has to be the f**ked-up mess trying to get a loan for the crazy exorcism/opossum drowning. The scene at the bank went from pathetic, hilarious ("There may be snow on the mountaintop but there fire in da valley!" ) to downright sad. I'm impressed with the development of the Tara character since the first two episodes.

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Looks like Sam is definately a werewolf after this episode.
He runs buck-naked the next morning after the rednecks noted a "full moon" out the prior nite - more hints of his werewolf tendencies.
Old 10-21-08, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by skatefan20
He runs buck-naked the next morning after the rednecks noted a "full moon" out the prior nite - more hints of his werewolf tendencies.
I loved the one dude's reaction: "I've done that."
Old 10-21-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The character of Tara has greatly improved, she was a one note stereotype when she was first introduced, but she's now quite the interesting character that isn't a stereotype in any way.
I agree. I actually really loved the character in the original pilot, but then hated her with the casting switch. But now she's actually my favorite character next to Sookie.

Am I the only one that actually loves watching this show? And thinks its good? (I'm not talking "Six Feet Under" good), but I don't think its as cheesey as a lot of people on this board are making it out to be.
Old 10-21-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love watching the show and I think it's good. It's no Mad Men or anything, but it is just a really addictive, fun show to watch. I can't wait to see the new episodes.

I just love this little world that the show has created.
Old 10-21-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I love watching the show and I think it's good as well. I don't see how the characters act stupid. How would you handle a situation where vampires are all of a sudden real? Not only that, they seem insanely strong.

I am curious about the demon bit. I don't think it was an "alcohol" demon. It's a demon. Maybe it manifests itself through addiction, or maybe it was just a scam perpetrated by the mother and the voodoo woman to scam Tara out of money. I'm interested either way.

Jason is stupid. Stupid people exist in this world. He acts like a good-looking stupid guy would.

I think Sookie, Tara, and Lafayette seem to have some smarts about them.

Also it was weird that the Simpsons and True Blood had the spoon trick on the same night.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.