International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Dobermann (BR/SDVD)

Old 08-11-08, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dobermann (BR/SDVD)

Universal-France are set to deliver a brand new set of releases for Jan Kounen's Dobermann on Blu-Ray and DVD this October 23. Extras from old set available.

Eyeforfilm:
If Mad Max went completely barmy and Bonnie & Clyde overdosed on bank jobs and Dirty Harry was dismissed from the force for being too clean, you would get the feel of Jan Kounen's debut film. He doesn't go over the top. He starts there.

Made in cartoon style, with the darkest, bitterest black humour, it tells of Yann (Vincent Cassel) and his gang of dangerous nutters, plus the beautiful, dumb'n'deadly Nat the Gypsy (Monica Bellucci), a sex object of uncompromising delight, and Sonia/Olivier, a law student at home and drag princess at night. It also depicts the insanity and vicious sadism of a fascist cop (Tcheky Karyo), who goes after them.

The spark of Kounen's imagination is offset by a level of violence that would have Quentin Tarantino whimpering like a scorched puppy. The use of guns in symbolic rape-and-pillage is a phallic message to politically correct feminists that guys are back on top and if chicks aren't tough enough, they'll become roadkill like the rest.

The humour bites your face. The popvid camera tricks are tempered by a storyline that demands attention. The performances are ridiculously exaggerated, or too cool to call. If youth equals rebellion equals no-holds-barred, be prepared to smile through gritted teeth. Dobermann makes Blade look like Looney Toons.

Kounen uses film with the patience of a runaway train. At a time when Hollywood sees fit to remake The Tender Trap, his ability to undermine convention is encouraging. Unfortunately, only the brave and emotionally cauterised will watch all the way through. Violence causes nausea when overindulged.
Pro-B
Old 08-11-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
this is another one of the few movies which would make me consider buying blu ray if this one had english subtitles.
Old 08-12-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pro-b,

is this film actually any good?
Old 08-12-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The odds of this having english subs are...

zero point zero. right?
Old 08-12-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nitin77
pro-b,

is this film actually any good?
I would not describe it as good, excessive is probably a better description. But I posted the news because the film seems to have a large following.

As to English subs, Universal-France have never provided such on any of their previous releases.

Pro-B
Old 08-12-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's good for its genre - a well-filmed, wacky, crazy characters, wild shoot-em-up film.
Old 08-14-08, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass,
this is another one of the few movies which would make me consider buying blu ray if this one had english subtitles.
Don't do it. The only thing the PS3 has done for my life is caused me to play video games again after taking a 10 year break from that form of entertainment. When MG4 came out I picked it up trying to justify owning a PS3 since Blu Ray titles are useless when it comes to International films. Yes, there is a thread with International titles, but let's get real. Many of the International Blu Ray titles;

1) Are Updated releases of well known/famous International films already on DVD
2) Don't have English support if smaller films
3) Suck

For someone like me (and you I assume) who spends more time in the International DVD section of DVDTALK, avoid Blu Ray like the plague right now. Now that I finished MGS4 (16 hours of my life I can't get back) the PS3 is back to being a dust collector, along with my A3...lol
Old 08-14-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't know if this post is meant to be a sarcastic attempt in originality or...something else. Whatever it is it is simply lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Pro-B
Old 08-15-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SPLATTI,
I agree with you - I'm perfectly happy with DVD quality. Sometimes I ponder getting Blu Ray, but then I just realize i'm just getting suckered into the whole "if everyone jumped off the cliff, would I jump as well?" technology marketing ploy, and thinking about updating all my technology drives me nuts.
Basically one has to narrow it down what one wants when watching a film. For me it's:
1. Clear and in focus (I don't care about scratches and grain)
2. Loud, clear dialogue/action with subwoofer (I don't care that much about 5.1 surround - but definitly have to have 2.1 sound)
3. No skipping/pixilation/ etc..
4. Large screen
5. I certainly don't care about dvd extras or being able to see even the far far background perfectly crisp (isn't this bad for our vision anyway? The far, far background isn't supposed to be crisp and clear - that's the way our eyes work. I'm not that interested in Blu Ray in which everything is equally in focus a la Speed Racer movie.)

If anything I've realized I probably most want a Projector, rather than pristine DVD/Blu Ray video/audio quality. I'm actually researching an Optoma or Epson Moviemate projector - projectors seem to be getting better in quality and cheaper. That will probably be my next investment, rather than a Blu Ray player, which anyway repeating DVD player nonsense with the Region coding.
Old 08-20-08, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I don't know if this post is meant to be a sarcastic attempt in originality or...something else. Whatever it is it is simply lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Pro-B
My post was my experience and opinion. If you don't agree, frankly that's fine as this is a forum.

As for the credibility comment, I guess you're upset that I suggest MGS4 was a waste of 16 hours. I didn't really like the game, but I guess others did so I'll admit maybe a was a bit harsh. lol. I think my BD comments were dead on.

thanks!

Last edited by splattii2; 08-20-08 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-20-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by splattii2
My post was my experience and opinion. If you don't agree, frankly that's fine as this is a forum.

As for the credibility comment, I guess you're upset that I suggest MGS4 was a waste of 16 hours. I didn't really like the game, but I guess others did so I'll admit maybe a was a bit harsh. lol. I think my BD comments were dead on.

thanks!
What I don't think you're understanding is that your original comments kinda came out of left-field. The PS3 debate and BD comments were mostly irrelevant to the thread at large. And while some of it may be true...I'm not sure how much place it has in a thread about a Dobermann re-release.
Old 03-25-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Dobermann (BR/SDVD)

BIG NEWS BIG NEWS BIG NEWS!!!!

ANAMORPHIC DVD, DD 5.1 FRENCH, ENGLISH-SUBTITLED DOBERMANN NOW AVAILABLE!

http://www.artpopdvd.com/DVD/48602.aspx

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-25-09 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This certainly is news...but very strange news. I highly doubt it the English subtitles have been authorized by the rights holders. Hopefully it is a good print.

(I am still opting for the French BD).

Pro-B
Old 03-25-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This certainly is news...but very strange news. I highly doubt it the English subtitles have been authorized by the rights holders. Hopefully it is a good print.

(I am still opting for the French BD).

Pro-B
The original Russian DVD had English subtitles listed on the DVD back cover, but didn't actually have them, so this time they fixed the problem.

And this dvd is sold from a respectable dvd store - www.artpopdvd.com - a site that doesn't sell bootlegs such as www.russiandvd.com.

Well you probably know how DVD releases work from Russia, China, Thailand, and Taiwan. For example - when a new dvd comes out, it's always a surprise, especially when they release European movies on their DVDs! Russia and Thailand DVD releases of European films have always been good for me, at least till an American DVD release comes half a decade later!

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-25-09 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't deal with the Russian distributors too much nowadays, so I am not familiar with the contractual limitations on this title for the Russian market, but I could assure you that aside from Tartan (and perhaps Palisades now) no one else was authorized to distribute an English-language version of the film (Thai disc) a few years ago. I doubt much has changed since then.

Pro-B
Old 03-25-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a question for Pro-bassoonist, i noticed in the other thread that you said that the US never aprooved a dvd version of this due to excessive violence, but i just looked it up on IMDB, and apparenlty this movie got an R rating for Perversive Strong Violence....ect, was the original version cut?
Old 03-26-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Rypro:

I am unaware what this R-rating was submitted for - this film did not get a US theatrical run or DVD release (one wasn't even planned AFAK).

Pro-B
Old 03-26-09, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rypro:

I am unaware what this R-rating was submitted for - this film did not get a US theatrical run or DVD release (one wasn't even planned AFAK).

Pro-B
eh, got this from filmratings.com
Title: Dobermann (2000)
Rating: R
Rating Reason: Rated R for pervasive strong violence and language, and for drug use and sexuality.
Distributor: Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Alternate Titles: Le Doberman

So in other words (if thats true) that disney or a variation of disney was/is the distributer right?
Old 03-26-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looks about right - Disney (Buena Vista) had the rights, but the film was never released on this side of the Atlantic. I suppose they got a rating for it anyway.

Pro-B
Old 03-26-09, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also wasnt' that the time (late 99/2000) when all of those school shootings happened? Maybe Disney/miramax didn't feel right releasing an ultra violent/movie that glorifies violence at that time, and i guess never got around to it.
Old 03-26-09, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also wasnt' that the time (late 99/2000) when all of those school shootings happened? Maybe Disney/miramax didn't feel right releasing an ultra violent/movie that glorifies violence at that time, and i guess never got around to it.
I think that's also the reason due to Japan's BATTLE ROYALE not getting released in the states....
Old 03-26-09, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
BIG NEWS BIG NEWS BIG NEWS!!!!

ANAMORPHIC DVD, DD 5.1 FRENCH, ENGLISH-SUBTITLED DOBERMANN NOW AVAILABLE!

http://www.artpopdvd.com/DVD/48602.aspx

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I almost want to check out the film based on how excited you seem about it toddly

I'm down for anything with Cassel or Bellucci in it.

Also I'm confused. Is this a LEGIT release?
Old 03-26-09, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Also I'm confused. Is this a LEGIT release?
Amalgama is a legit Russian DVD company and artpopdvd is known to have only official Russian dvd releases, so it's probably as legit as Russian dvds come...I noticed on the website that the last bunch of new dvds were Monica Bellucci movies as well (dvds from Italy and Russia)...

Last edited by toddly6666; 03-26-09 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-28-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I received the DVD today and reviewed it here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...ni-review.html
Old 04-09-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's sort of a mini-review at Twitchfilm of the DVD: http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/jan-...-a-decent-dvd/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.