Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Experiences with the new Borders.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 12:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in others experiences with the new Borders.com as mine has been terrible. I ordered a CD listed as shipping in 3 to 7 days using a gift card. The gift card amount was deducted immediately. When the CD did not ship after 7 days, I tried to call customer service. I gave up after being on hold for 15 minutes. I emailed customer service 4 times until I received a reply apologizing for a delayed response, but the email did not answer my question of when the CD would ship (and a reply to their email asking when it would ship has still gone unanswered). I called customer service again and was able to speak with an agent. I commented that the site still shows the CD as shipping in 3 to 7 days, and it had been 21 days and mine still had not shipped. The agent could provide no answers or help but only offered to cancel my order (and hope that their supplier would send me a new gift card to cover the amount that was already charged). I also commented to the agent that new release DVDs past the release date are still listed as "preorder" and the agent responded that it sometimes takes them 2 weeks to get stock of new releases!! I certainly miss the good old days of their partnership with amazon.com. I cannot see me doing much business on this site.
Old 07-03-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ordered 3 "ships in 24 hours" CDs. Two shipped in 24 hours. The third didn't. The product availability of the item switched after I ordered it to "ships in 3 to 7 days." Eventually, it returned to "ships in 24 hours," and it ultimately shipped nine days after I ordered. The price was good and shipping was free, so I didn't mind.
Old 07-03-08, 05:54 PM

I've placed 2 orders with them:

Order #1: 3 CDs. 1 in-stock, 2 back ordered. I placed it a few days after they opened the new store. After 8 or 9 days, I called to cancel the order. The CSR was having computer problems but said she would try to cancel it and call me back later in the day to let me know the result. No call. The next day I called back and asked if the order was canceled. Got a different CSR. She said the order was 'probably' canceled. A week or so later one of the backordered CDs shipped. I called to ask why this happened since the order was canceled. The CSR couldn't explain that. Got the CD fine and was charged the correct amount (including coupon discount.)

Order #2: Placed in the middle of June for 3 CDs. 2 shipped in a few days, the one that was supposed to be in stock shipped about 1-2 weeks later.

Note that they will pre-auth your CC several times as items ship. I don't know if this is common (or legit) or not. For example, they'll pre-auth your card for the order total when you place the order. If one item ships, they'll charge you for that item then pre-auth your card for the remaining balance. Strange.

So it seems like they're still working out the kinks. Not horrible service, but certainly not up to Amazon's yet.
Old 07-03-08, 09:04 PM
Banned

Ordered one boxset, shipped and arrived in a timely manner (free shipping too, fuck you DDD).
Old 07-03-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SFranke
I ordered 3 "ships in 24 hours" CDs. Two shipped in 24 hours. The third didn't. The product availability of the item switched after I ordered it to "ships in 3 to 7 days." Eventually, it returned to "ships in 24 hours," and it ultimately shipped nine days after I ordered. The price was good and shipping was free, so I didn't mind.
I had this same thing happen.
Old 07-04-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've placed two orders so far:

The first was for "High Noon" (DVD). I ordered it online since it was slightly cheaper than the in-store price after coupon. I did SHIP-TO-STORE for free shipping. I used the tracking number to find out when it got delivered to the store. No one ever called, so I called the store to verify delivery. They searched high and low, but could not find it. I called Borders Customer Care. To the CSR's credit, she tracked it down and determined that it had been returned back to their warehouse. She said they had been having that problem, but a new shipping label was being implemented to help prevent that. She arranged to have it shipped directly to me for the same price and did next day shipping!

The second was for a book that said "1 to 3 weeks". Again I did SHIP-TO-STORE. It did take nearly 3 weeks, but it was nice having an email with the tracking number so I could follow the progress. Again it showed that it was delivered to the store, but this time they actually had it! I still never received a phone call that it was in, so their notification process could use some work.
Old 07-11-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just placed an order with the 40% off CDs coupon. I entered a gift card number, but I forgot to click the "apply" button. Anyway, after about 15 minutes on hold, the CSR told me that not only could she not apply the GC after the fact, but she could not cancel the order at all! I must wait to receive the package and refuse it, and I can't use the coupon again.

The prices are great with the coupon, but the customer service is really lacking.

EDIT: I just called back because I thought a different CSR might be able to take care of the problem. I was right! The new CSR was able to successfully add the GC to the order. Still, I spent about forty minutes on the phone, so I'm not pleased about that.

Last edited by SFranke; 07-11-08 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-14-08, 10:00 PM

Very disappointed in the new borders.com. The page doesn't load properly, and the MSRP of the dvds are out of whack (Wire Season 5 has a MSRP $63.99).
Old 07-18-08, 08:22 AM

This feature is temporarily unavailable.

My, what a wonderful website! You can do a search, and once you find a product, just hover the mouse over the image, and you can click on add to cart to put it in your shopping cart without having to go to a detail page! Or you can click on reserve in store or get details to be taken to a page with the helpful message We're sorry. This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. After all, who wants to complicate their lives by reading details about a product before buying it? And who wants to spend money on gas to go pick it up in a store? [/puddle of sarcasm]

But seriously, is my browser just being difficult, or is the Borders site just not ready for prime time late night any time at all?

ETA: Never mind. My ranting on here like an idiot seems to have fixed it.

Last edited by WhovianZorker; 07-18-08 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-18-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

Maybe I need to rant so it'll work for me because as of right now, I can't do shit on the site. Nothing is working for me and I can't even log into my account because the site doesn't recognize my password.
Old 07-18-08, 04:14 PM

I placed an order that went through successfully, but since I didn't 'register for an account' first, I can't track the order.

Anyone know how to track an order if you don't have an account with them?
Old 07-18-08, 05:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The free shipping and coupons are nice, but looking at the prices and the buggy web site, I think I will stay away.
Old 07-18-08, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
I placed an order that went through successfully, but since I didn't 'register for an account' first, I can't track the order.

Anyone know how to track an order if you don't have an account with them?
According to the help section of the website, you can't. You can probably call them and speak to a CSR to see what the status is.
Old 07-19-08, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Funk
Note that they will pre-auth your CC several times as items ship. I don't know if this is common (or legit) or not. For example, they'll pre-auth your card for the order total when you place the order. If one item ships, they'll charge you for that item then pre-auth your card for the remaining balance. Strange.
Best Buy used to do this a lot. Haven't really purchased a lot there recently so I don't know if they still do. They'd authorize your card every few days until the item shipped.
Old 07-29-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For some items, the prices on the website are cheaper. So, I went to one store and they were willing to price match to the website, with really no problem. The next day, I went to another store to pick up another item that was cheaper on the website, and they wouldn't price match. They said that the policy, stated on the website, is that stores do not price match to the website. I told the manager that another store was willing to do it, but she said that "they were wrong" and would not budge.

So, I ended up ordering it online and having it shipped to the store for free. Not a huge deal as I will get it for the price I want, but I wish I could have taken it home while I was there. My biggest gripe is with the manager who would not do the price match. Obviously, since one store was willing to do it, it is at the discretion of the store. I guess she is too stupid to realize that if enough customers start ordering online, even though they may have it shipped to the store, the store doesn't get credit for the sale and there will be no use to keep the stores open.
Old 07-30-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
For some items, the prices on the website are cheaper. So, I went to one store and they were willing to price match to the website, with really no problem. The next day, I went to another store to pick up another item that was cheaper on the website, and they wouldn't price match. They said that the policy, stated on the website, is that stores do not price match to the website. I told the manager that another store was willing to do it, but she said that "they were wrong" and would not budge.

So, I ended up ordering it online and having it shipped to the store for free. Not a huge deal as I will get it for the price I want, but I wish I could have taken it home while I was there. My biggest gripe is with the manager who would not do the price match. Obviously, since one store was willing to do it, it is at the discretion of the store. I guess she is too stupid to realize that if enough customers start ordering online, even though they may have it shipped to the store, the store doesn't get credit for the sale and there will be no use to keep the stores open.
So pay full price in store, take it home and enjoy it, and when the cheaper one arrives at the store, just return that one with the more expensive receipt...
Old 07-30-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anybody tried to return an item bought at Borders.com to a Borders store? That would be a great thing to be able to do if the items arrived damaged. I'd be willing to pay a small premium to avoid dealing with an internet return. My mailman must really suck, as about every 8th disc I order (and I order a lot) arrives damaged.
Old 07-30-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
Has anybody tried to return an item bought at Borders.com to a Borders store? That would be a great thing to be able to do if the items arrived damaged. I'd be willing to pay a small premium to avoid dealing with an internet return. My mailman must really suck, as about every 8th disc I order (and I order a lot) arrives damaged.
I'll let you know this weekend. I just received an anime box set from Borders.com today that I paid $41 for with a gift card. However, FYE just started a sale where the same title can be had for $30(I also have mucho FYE gift cards from the recent brown bag trade-in promotion). Fortunately, I didn't open the shrinkwrap. I'm going to return it to my local Borders B&M this weekend and pick it up at FYE for less $$$. I'll post my experience with the return this weekend.
Old 07-31-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
I did. The item delivered had slight damage to the packaging, so I just went and got the same item off of the shelf and told them I was taking it. Didn't have to fill out anything.
Old 08-02-08, 11:32 AM

BN allows for returning online purchases to the store. I have done that there, no problems. Sometimes they will give store credit; sometimes refund.

I would expect Borders to do the same.
Old 08-02-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by forumsmy
BN allows for returning online purchases to the store. I have done that there, no problems. Sometimes they will give store credit; sometimes refund.

I would expect Borders to do the same.
According to Borders website, they'll give you a gift card if you return to a store. If you want your $$$, you have to mail it back to them.
Old 08-05-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had a good experience on both counts. I did a return without receipt on two DVDs a couple of weeks ago. I received full price on one and and 30% off list on the other... which was what they were selling it for during release week.

I pre-ordered Beastmaster: The Complete Collection for $23.99 plus shipping and tax after using a 40% off coupon. Came out to around $9 per season (some people will think even that is too much. ). I received a shipping notice on Saturday and according to the tracking number, it should get here tomorrow (only one day after release!).

So a good experience all around. I also have Supernatural Season 3 pre-ordered. With a coupon, their price was better than Amazon's... so using the gift card was a no-brainer.
Old 08-24-08, 06:00 AM

Borders.com is a bloated, painful website to use. It may look pretty but they have a ton of coding problems going on. As long as they keep coming out with 40% coupons, I will take advantage of them as long as I can.

Other than this, they can't offer me anything that Amazon doesn't already provide.

Although none of this may matter when they get sold:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080814?rpc=44
Old 08-29-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I created an account, but neither of the two orders I placed show up when I attempt to check order status. I hope this is normal, and the orders will ship as scheduled.
Old 09-20-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gift Card won't apply - too many digits

I have a $25 borders gift card that I got before borders.com changed to their new website, there are 16 numbers in the gift card number.

With the new borders.com, however, it will only allow me to put in 15 numbers in the "apply promotions" field in the shopping cart.

Anyone experience this? Suggestions?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.