View Single Post
Old 06-10-08, 06:10 PM   #2
Paul Mavis
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand your anger -- I don't like the studios doing this, either. But as I've written in numerous other reviews, it's a matter for each consumer to decide. I know it feels good to bitch out the studios for doing this (I do the same thing), but I also know this is a business -- pure and simple. TV always was. The writers who wrote the series, the directors who fashioned the episodes, and the actors who performed, all were paid by selling soap and cigarettes in the commercials. No one likes to think of it that way, but it's true.

And it's the same with DVD releases today. If a studio decides that they can't make enough money from a release of a show, versus the money they'd lay out for a music license fee, they're going to yank the cue. No viewer likes it, but it's a fact. Or maybe it isn't even a matter of money; maybe the rights to the music are entangled in legal complications beyond the studio's control. Regardless, you have to weigh your disappointment over what's missing, over what's there. With The Fugitive, Paramount did go to some trouble restoring the video image; perhaps it was beyond their means to get the music, too. All I can say is that I'm grateful that, so far (fingers crossed), they're going to release all the seasons. I'm still waiting on the rest of the seasons of the color Dragnets, and the rest of The Mary Tyler Moore Shows, and the rest of the Adam-12s, and so on. It's all a crap shoot.

I'm disappointed, too, but I'm not willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I'm going to enjoy the show.