Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

when will we get the ROLLING STONES TV appearances and music videos on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not even talkin' 'bout something extensive like The Beatles Anthology - although it isn't out of the realm of possibility, as I'm sure there's enough great footage to complement the Stones with such a production - but simply a 2-disc set of television appearances and music videos (if any).

I caught on Utube the performance they gave on The Ed Sullivan Show for their song, Let's Spend The Night Together (1967), where Mick had to change the lyrics to "Let's spend some time together" (and he rolled his eyes when he sang it). It's stuff like that, with footage of the late-great-Brian Jones, that deserve to be on DVD.

Any news?
Old 06-06-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of any dvd sets, but they do have a couple tv performances on at least one of the Hullabaloo discs. Unfortunately, those are all OOP.
Old 06-06-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
A Beatles Anthology style set would be great, but it would also cover some crap years.
Old 06-06-08, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there are many reasons it probably won't happen. One is that I don't think the Stones like competing with their younger selves, either for the good or bad. They are still touring, after all, and releasing new DVD's of those shows. There's also the fact that Allen Klein and ABKCO controls their early catalog, and the music rights for that period would have to be coordinated by the Klein family. So, you have two different organizations controlling the music rights -- the Kleins for the early years, the Stones themselves for the later ones. The Klein family did make the release of "Rock and Roll Circus" happen, so the ball might be in their court for the pre-'70s TV and concert appearances.

I think there are too many controversies in the band's past for them to want to do a comprehensive "Anthology" type of collection. They also don't have any old friends on their payroll that might want to make it happen, as Neil Aspinall did for the Beatles in getting the ball rolling for the Anthology project. There is a ton of stuff in the Stones archives, including official movies such as "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" and "Let's Spend the Night Together." But even those aren't being reissued, so I don't see them going into the TV archives to get that material released.
Old 06-06-08, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, just found this forum now. Looks very nice. Rolling stones channel would be very nice to have, they are the best.
Old 06-06-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I read somewhere that Mick may let Cocksucker's Blues be released. Altho I already have the bootleg of that one!