Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Movies you want but won't buy

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With Blu-Ray I expect nothing less than the best in video and audio quality. With that said, here are a few movies already out that I'd really want to buy but won't because they are less than stellar in the A/V dept.

Courage under Fire (poor video quality)
MI: 3 (only DD5.1)
Payback (only DD5.1)
Superman Returns (only DD5.1 & poor video quality)
Terminator 2 (only DTS & poor video quality)
Training Day (poor video quality & DD5.1)
The Polar Express (only DD5.1)
Unforgiven (only DD5.1 & poor video quality)
We Were Soldiers (only DD5.1 & poor video quality)

There are others that dissapoint but these are just the ones I would have purchased yesterday if the quality was better. I've learned my lesson with DVDs. I will wait until these get reissued.
Old 05-24-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Unforgiven was fantastic on HD DVD. It wasn't the same transfer on Blu-ray?

We Were Soldiers also looked pretty good. It was probably the "Grain Filter" used by the director, so it won't get any clearer.

The Polar Express looked great on HD DVD as well. Same transfer for Blu-ray, right?

DD5.1 is good enough for me in most cases. So, I'm gonna have to disagree with most of your list already.
Old 05-24-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MI: 3 (only DD5.1)

Have you heard this disc? MI: 3 is one of my favourite high def movies - I think the transfer is accurate and the audio ROCKS... skipping this one because of 'no lossless' is a HUGE MISTAKE IMO.
Old 05-24-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
I'm holding off on Terminator 2 because I want the extended cut.
Old 05-24-08, 10:39 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know reviews have said Courage Under Fire does not have great video quality, but I had no problem with it when we watched it. That was when we first got our BD player over a year ago so maybe my rating would change, but I don`t think so. Have you seen it or just gone by the reviews? Maybe on screens much larger than our 46" it has issues that don`t show up on ours.
Old 05-24-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
Unforgiven (only DD5.1 & poor video quality)
Perception of video quality is somewhat subjective, but if you really think Unforgiven had poor video quality then you disagree with pretty much every review of the disc I've seen online. Here are a sampling of scores that the image quality specifically on the BD has received:

DVD Verdict 91/100
HDD 4/5
DVD Beaver 9.5/10
DVD Talk 4/5
Blu-ray.com 4.5/5
DVD Town 8/10

To respond more generally to your post, I only avoid buying a movie that I want to own if the A/V quality is really terrible. I don't let something like audio specs or minor image blemishes prevent me from owning and enjoying a film that I love.
Old 05-24-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts
Unforgiven is on my list of Blu Rays to buy.
Old 05-24-08, 11:00 AM

Die Hard 4. Waiting for the unrated cut that SDVD got.
Old 05-24-08, 11:18 AM

Most of the Fox/MGM catalog titles because of the ridiculously high MSRP and lack of virtually every DVD extra.
Old 05-24-08, 11:23 AM

I'm not fully jumping into Blu-ray until the portable players come out. I end up watching the movies at home of the big screen, but most of the time I end up watching all the extras on my portable player. Also because any of the kids movies my daughter watches them at home, but when we go on road trips or plane flights we have the portable player for that too. So, I don't want to have to buy two versions of each movie.
Old 05-24-08, 11:24 AM

Wall Street...horrible picture quality.
Old 05-24-08, 11:31 AM
Banned

None. I buy everything i want!
Old 05-24-08, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by JustInsane
I'm not fully jumping into Blu-ray until the portable players come out. I end up watching the movies at home of the big screen, but most of the time I end up watching all the extras on my portable player. Also because any of the kids movies my daughter watches them at home, but when we go on road trips or plane flights we have the portable player for that too. So, I don't want to have to buy two versions of each movie.

You'd honestly be better off just buying DVDs if you're waiting on a portable blu-ray player. Aside from the cost of such players, the a/v improvement would be minimal at best on such a small screen/speakers.
Old 05-24-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Run Lola Run. $20 is too much for a movie I already own twice over.

Mostly cost things, I'm dirt broke right now
Old 05-24-08, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
Most of the Fox/MGM catalog titles because of the ridiculously high MSRP and lack of virtually every DVD extra.
Quoted for truth, this is my major gripe with those studios. At least it's gotten better but it doesn't help the tons of titles already released :/
Old 05-24-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You'd honestly be better off just buying DVDs if you're waiting on a portable blu-ray player. Aside from the cost of such players, the a/v improvement would be minimal at best on such a small screen/speakers.
That's not the point though. The point is that he could watch the movies on the "main" system with high quality A/V, but also be able to watch the same discs on a portable player. Of course the quality wouldn't be much better on the portable, but the idea is that the same discs would work for either scenario.

I'm waiting for the unrated LFODH of course, and new versions of Total Recall, Terminator 2, and perhaps Lord of War. Those were early Lionsgate titles that got mediocre reviews IIRC, and also had extras dropped. They've been cheap at times, and that makes me think that new editions could be coming.

The lack of lossless audio usually isn't a deterrent to me, but I'm certainly not in any hurry to buy titles like Phantom of the Opera on BD when the HD DVD I have has TrueHD but the BD does not.
Old 05-24-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto. A few that come to mind specifically (other studios mixed in and high prices are also an issue in general)..

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Cast Away
Eight Below (disappointed that a couple of the extras were removed.. would still purchase once the price gets reduced though)
The Fifth Element (want but will wait for a definitive release)
The Golden Compass (solely due to wanting to wait for a director's cut)
House of Flying Daggers
Ice Age
Kingdom of Heaven
Lord of War
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Memento
Rocky
Silent Hill
The Usual Suspects
Old 05-24-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Run Lola Run. $20 is too much for a movie I already own twice over.

Mostly cost things, I'm dirt broke right now
Sorry to hear about your financial woes, but RLR Blu-Ray smokes the SD version. You should pick it up when you have the spare scratch.
Old 05-24-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is just insane.

Blu-ray movies aren't going to look any better than DVD movies on tiny screens with little resolution.
Old 05-24-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
Sorry to hear about your financial woes, but RLR Blu-Ray smokes the SD version. You should pick it up when you have the spare scratch.
Yeah I've seen it Hoping Sony has a sale with it and Curse of the Golden Flower again.

Also wish Perfume didn't tank in the US, that DVD was in the $3 bin at lightning speed. Would pick Perfume and The Princess and the Warrior if they were rel'd.
Old 05-24-08, 06:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
X-Men 3: The Last Stand because you couldn't pay me to have that movie in my collection, or watch it ever again.
Old 05-24-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That is just insane.

Blu-ray movies aren't going to look any better than DVD movies on tiny screens with little resolution.
there's that 11-inch OLED for $2,500 that's supposed to be out soon,i think they can add a blu-ray player with it for future models although it'll probably be quite a challenge for the batteries to hold up.
Old 05-24-08, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Superman Returns did get re-issues with a TrueHD track on Blu-ray (previously only on the HD DVD version). It IS out there...you just have to look for it (or hit eBay since it was included with some Panasonic players for free).
Old 05-24-08, 06:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This won't happen for many years, if ever. Watching a BD on a 7 - 11 inch screen would make it look almost identical to the DVD. Small screens simply cannot produce a decent picture. Even if they did, expect to shell out at least a grand for them. This is one reason why I liked HD DVD combos...but I don't think BD will ever do anything like that.

However, many studios are now including digital copies to watch using an iPod or something.
Old 05-24-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
28 Weeks Later - quality
Crash - quality
Flightplan - $$$
Hitch - quality
ID4 - $$$
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - quality
Lost: Season 3 - $$$
Man on Fire - $$$
Me, Myself & Irene - $$$
Phone Booth - $$$
Predator - quality
Prison Break: Season 1 - $$$
Punisher - quality
Talladega Nights - quality, $$$

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.