Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else psyched about the Gamecube?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is anyone else psyched about the Gamecube?

Old 03-11-01, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am, definitely... I know the N64 didn;t really do half as well as Nintendo were hoping it would, but I'm still looking forward to the Gamecube. While Sony and MS seem to be concentrating on making the PS2 and X-Box multi-purpose machines (and, consequently, a bastard to develop for) Nintendo seem to be onto the right idea with the Gamecube; designing a games console that's targeted squarely at gamers, and is designed to make it as easy to develop for as is possible without sacrificing power. Even the controller looks sweeeeeet... And if the games turn out half as good as the demos they've been showing off, it's going to be really great...

Darn, I can hardly wait. The only problem is, it might be too single purposed to really succeed in the market
Old 03-11-01, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I am going to get the XboX instead, I just see alot of potential in Xbox and I believe it will the better of the two
Old 03-11-01, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In terms of being a bitch to progrm for: PS2 Yes it is. Xbox on the other hand is not bad at all.

In terms of being ready for it? I definitly am. Nothing surpasses Nintendo's quality of games. nothing.

About is being to concentrated. I don't think that would be it's demise in the upcoming game market. Alot of gamers have a DVD player. (I have 2 counting my PS2) So it's not vital for it to have one built in. (Also note that a DVD playing gamecube will be available from Panasonic a few months after release)

If the Gamecube fails its going to be because of being out marketed by Microsoft and Sony. And less of a cool factor with adults. I think its safe to say that Nintendo is preparing for both, and I know they won't fail because of poor games.
Old 03-11-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not even close after the N64....will wait and see what they finally produce before buying!!! They have not even come close to disclosing what will be available etc.....as Microsoft has done with the Xbox!!! Of course....if they release this system with a $199 price tag as rumoured....and prove in the beginning that they will be fully supporting this system....I may have to buy one of these babies....same with Xbox....but Microsoft needs to realize that few people will pay more than $300 for this system!!! With Sony more than likely reducing the PS2 down to $199....and Gamecube releasing at $199......Microsoft may even want to consider a price tag of no more than $249!!!
Old 03-11-01, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yah I'll be getting the gamecube. That make it the 5th nindendo gameing system for me. nes,snes,n64 and gameboy.
Old 03-11-01, 10:16 AM

Anything that has "Zelda" or "Metroid" attached to it, I will always buy
Old 03-11-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Crizzar
Anything that has "Zelda" or "Metroid" attached to it, I will always buy

Have not had a chance to play the newer Zelda....waiting for a price drop if I buy it at all....but I did like the first for the N64!!! It will be interesting to see the Zelda series on the Gamecube!!!
Old 03-11-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
I am, definitely... I know the N64 didn;t really do half as well as Nintendo were hoping it would, but I'm still looking forward to the Gamecube. While Sony and MS seem to be concentrating on making the PS2 and X-Box multi-purpose machines (and, consequently, a bastard to develop for) Nintendo seem to be onto the right idea with the Gamecube; designing a games console that's targeted squarely at gamers, and is designed to make it as easy to develop for as is possible without sacrificing power. Even the controller looks sweeeeeet... And if the games turn out half as good as the demos they've been showing off, it's going to be really great...

Darn, I can hardly wait. The only problem is, it might be too single purposed to really succeed in the market
With all due respect I think you are wrong about Microsoft. While Sony is touting their system as a multi purpose box, MS is is going in the opposite direction. From everything I have read and heard, MS knows that the best way to succeed is to focus on games playing first and formost. They have looked at past attempts to market and sell a multimedia box, e.g. 3DO, and more recently the PS2. In my mind they are marketing the X Box as a games machine, all be it DVD based. Not only that they have taken into consideration the potential of the online gaming market by including the ethernet adapter, and also addressed long load times and storage of new data, like new levels, add ons etc. by including a harddrive.They even require to buy a remote in order to use it as a standard DVD player. MS and Bill Gates are no fools. They know what they are getting into and what they need to do to compete against Sony and Nintendo. Personally I think that Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot by going with a proprietory media format, one that holds at most 1.5 gigs of data, with no mass storage device included in the system. Not to mention that the design looks like a Fisher Price toy - not something that is exactly going to attract gamers of all ages.
Old 03-11-01, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by djones6746
Not even close after the N64....will wait and see what they finally produce before buying!!! They have not even come close to disclosing what will be available etc.....as Microsoft has done with the Xbox!!! Of course....if they release this system with a $199 price tag as rumoured....and prove in the beginning that they will be fully supporting this system....I may have to buy one of these babies....same with Xbox....but Microsoft needs to realize that few people will pay more than $300 for this system!!! With Sony more than likely reducing the PS2 down to $199....and Gamecube releasing at $199......Microsoft may even want to consider a price tag of no more than $249!!!
I think you will find Nintendo fully "supporting" the game cube. There's little worry here.

As far as "disclosing" info on the system, Nintendo likes to keep things under wraps as long as possible so other manufactors can't copy their ideas before they hit the market. I think you may find several surprises at this years E3.
Old 03-11-01, 12:14 PM
Retired

I can't wait for it. I've always been a huge fan of Nintendo, and will buy this a soon as it comes out. The price is right, 199 is the most I'll pay for a system, and Nintendo makes the best games, period. Only Sega comes close. Having Rare as an exclusive helps as well. Unlike others, I don't regret buying my N64, I played more great games on it than I did on my Playstation. The Dreamcast kicked it's ass though. Still, I can't complain with great games like, Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, both Zelda's, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Wave Race, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, etc. etc. All it needed was third party support, which it looks like the Gamecube will have. Being easy to develop for should attract lots of companines, especially those bitching about how hard the PS2 is to develop for. Even EA is on board, and they shunned the Dreamcast.
Old 03-11-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
I think you will find Nintendo fully "supporting" the game cube. There's little worry here.

As far as "disclosing" info on the system, Nintendo likes to keep things under wraps as long as possible so other manufactors can't copy their ideas before they hit the market. I think you may find several surprises at this years E3.

Let's hope so.....because no matter what system has over another system.....it is all for the good of the gamer that each system available kick some serious arse!!!
Old 03-11-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The main reasons that the N64 turned out so poorly supported by third parties was that it was difficult to program for, and cartridges are expensive. Nintendo seem to have taken this on board and made the GC nice and easy to develop for (allegedly) and made the media pretty cheap to produce.

As far as the "limited" size of the media is concerned, 1.5 gigs should be plenty. Unless you're planning on having vast amounts of FMV in a game, you'd be hard pressed to need more space than that, and Nintendo's game design philosophy shies away from FMV anyway; most of the cut scenes in Nintendo games are generated using largely in-game graphics rendered on the fly anyway. Just look at the Zelda games for the N64; no FMV at all, it's all just the game characters with predefined movement patterns. It's not exactly a completely proprietary format anyway; it's essentially just miniature DVDs with a custom encryption code.
Old 03-11-01, 02:13 PM

I'm also looking forward to this system! I can't wait!
Old 03-11-01, 05:11 PM
Retired

As far as the "limited" size of the media is concerned, 1.5 gigs should be plenty. Unless you're planning on having vast amounts of FMV in a game, you'd be hard pressed to need more space than that, and Nintendo's game design philosophy shies away from FMV anyway; most of the cut scenes in Nintendo games are generated using largely in-game graphics rendered on the fly anyway.
Exactly, I mean Dreamcast GD-Roms only have a 1 gig capacity and that system has some of the best games ever. All massive disc space is used for is FMV, and FMV sucks. If I want FMV I'd watch a fricking movie. Cut scenes using in game graphics are much more immersive anyway. I mean characters always look much different in the FMV than in the games, so that's kind of distracting. If you're going to make a really long game, say an rpg, then just use multiple discs. 1.5 gigs is more than enough.
Old 03-11-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been with Nintendo since the 8-bit days (like a week after it came out) and have yet to be disappointed, despite owning every single system they've produced. Except, of course, for Virtual Boy, which was conceived shortly after their development team was let in on the wonders of crack-cocaine.

So, yes, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-11-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will be getting it. As with the Dreamcast I know it will at least have some great first party games. This is the one big problem with the Xbox and PS2. They have to rely on third parties to make their system a success.
Old 03-11-01, 06:35 PM

I'm sure I'll eventually pick up the Gamecube. They've got me hooked with Zelda. I need my fix.

--Jeff
Old 03-11-01, 06:42 PM

Microsoft may even want to consider a price tag of no more than $249!!!
There is no way even Microsoft could afford that. Those bad boys are gonna cost a lot to manufacture.
Old 03-11-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KoalSlaw
Microsoft may even want to consider a price tag of no more than $249!!!
There is no way even Microsoft could afford that. Those bad boys are gonna cost a lot to manufacture.

I know...just dreaming....but seriously....anything over $300 may kill their chances from the start for any success!!!

Here is the scenario in the fall....

PS2 $199
GC $199
Xbox $???

Which system are people going to buy that is affordable for most?????
Old 03-12-01, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely am. As long as Rare, Factor 5, and Nintendo makes games for the system I'm there. With Sega and other jumping on board I'll gladly support Nintendo as I have been all my life.
Old 03-12-01, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by joshhinkle

As far as the "limited" size of the media is concerned, 1.5 gigs should be plenty. Unless you're planning on having vast amounts of FMV in a game, you'd be hard pressed to need more space than that, and Nintendo's game design philosophy shies away from FMV anyway; most of the cut scenes in Nintendo games are generated using largely in-game graphics rendered on the fly anyway.
Exactly, I mean Dreamcast GD-Roms only have a 1 gig capacity and that system has some of the best games ever. All massive disc space is used for is FMV, and FMV sucks. If I want FMV I'd watch a fricking movie. Cut scenes using in game graphics are much more immersive anyway. I mean characters always look much different in the FMV than in the games, so that's kind of distracting. If you're going to make a really long game, say an rpg, then just use multiple discs. 1.5 gigs is more than enough.
Yes. I also think that everyone out there that feels 1.5 gigs is to small to look at their PS2's. Most games that come out for that are on regualar CD's, not DVD's. So 650-700 megs... Yeah hows that? The point is there is plently of room in 1.5 gigs. Not to mention there is this beautiful thing with DVD's... Multi layering... Yep, they can do that.
Old 03-13-01, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You guys seem to forget several points WRT DVD's

1)DVD's offer constant streaming and therefore shorter load times.

2)Dolby surround and even possibly 5.1 surround sound is possible.

3)Several of the recent PC games, in particular RPG's have been on multiple CD's and not because of the inclusion of FMV's. Baldurs Gate is being developed for the PS2 and would be better on one DVD then four or five CD's.
Old 03-13-01, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cloud
You guys seem to forget several points WRT DVD's

1)DVD's offer constant streaming and therefore shorter load times.

2)Dolby surround and even possibly 5.1 surround sound is possible.

3)Several of the recent PC games, in particular RPG's have been on multiple CD's and not because of the inclusion of FMV's. Baldurs Gate is being developed for the PS2 and would be better on one DVD then four or five CD's.
1) There is no reason you can't stream off a CD. It's all a matter of making commonly accessed data contiguous, unless I'm misunderstanding something about the format.

2) The media type has nothing to do with sound quality. Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, even has 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound in a cartridge.

3) There were FMVs in BG. And when you figure that much of the data is repeated from disc to disc, and consoles work with lower quality graphics due to their lower resolution, a format 3 times as large as a CD should be more than enough to hold the largest non-FMV games. I mean, c'mon, look at all the kickass games N64 has had, with that miniscule amount of space.
Old 03-13-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will eventually probably get Gamecube. But first up is X-box and gameboy advanced. There are a bunch of games on these systems which i have seen previews for that are MUST HAVE. Nintendo hasnt said much of anything yet. Also i have N64 which i got by trading my PSX and i have never regreted it. N64 has some of my fav games of all time.

Capt
Old 03-13-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
can't wait for this, either. some of the best games in the world have been made by nintendo. i've always supported them, and i always will. now that they are become more adult friendly, i can't wait to see sequels to conker's and perfect dark.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.