Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

WALMART return policy on tvs???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

WALMART return policy on tvs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WALMART Customer Service Sucks...

Allright, so my brother and I bought my parents an hd tv for Christmas and it just started acting up with pixilation problems the other day. I just got home from college today and decided to try and go exchange it at walmart. However, my brother seems to have misplaced the receipt so i called them before hand to ask if they could simply find the transaction in their computer since it was via credit card. They say they can, so I go there with the tv and go to customer service and tell them i want to exhchange it for the exact same model.
The service rep asks me when I purchased it, and i tell her two days before Christmas. She then proceeds to tell me that its been past 90 days and I can't exchange it. I correct her, saying that its only been roughly 70 days and its therefore still eligible for the store warranty. This goes on for 5 minutes as her reasoning is simply that since its march, and I bought it in December, 90 days must have passed. I tell her shes on crack (yeah i actually said it) and ask to speak with a manager. The manager comes over, tells me I'm out of line and they wont take it because it doesnt have the box. (are my parents really still supposed to have the box 2 months after christmas?) They don't even attempt to look it up in the system and tell me to leave. I say whatever, I'm calling corporate, call the manager an idiot and leave. So I just got off the phone with corporate and they gave me the electronic payment services contact info, who is supposed to be able to find and reprint any reciept. I'm hoping they can just email me a copy and i can do an exchange. Any thoughts of anything else i can do? This is bullshit.

Last edited by jmu878; 03-02-08 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that you would probably already have the new TV if you used your words more carefully. I've been in situations where customer service was "difficult" too, but I've always found that I have been more likely to get my way by being calm, polite, and firm. If that phone route does not work, you should have your parents try to go back to the store (without you there) and calmly and politely explain the situation. I'm sure they could keep the new box or something like that, but they won't want to budge if you are being disrespectful to them.
Old 03-02-08, 08:19 PM

if you have yr cc statement, you can use that as proof of purchase, i believe...
Old 03-02-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wouldn't it be covered by a warranty? Most electronics have at least a 90 day parts and labor warranty.
Old 03-02-08, 10:37 PM

Do you mean the warranty by the store or the supplier? The answer is yes to both, a 90 day from walmart and 1 year by the manufacturer, but taking the tv back to walmart SEEMED like a far easier solution than mailing it back to the manufacturer and waiting for the replacement.
Yes, maybe I was a bit rude, but I have a real low tolerance for incompetence, especially considering it was basic math. I'll also def check into that statement idea as well if the phone services doesn't come through. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-02-08, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmu878
Do you mean the warranty by the store or the supplier? The answer is yes to both, a 90 day from walmart and 1 year by the manufacturer, but taking the tv back to walmart SEEMED like a far easier solution than mailing it back to the manufacturer and waiting for the replacement.
Yes, maybe I was a bit rude, but I have a real low tolerance for incompetence, especially considering it was basic math. I'll also def check into that statement idea as well if the phone services doesn't come through. Thanks for the input.

Well, if they new math they wouldn't be working at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-02-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmu878
. . . and 1 year by the manufacturer, but taking the tv back to walmart SEEMED like a far easier solution than mailing it back to the manufacturer and waiting for the replacement.
Wouldn't the manufacturer just allow you to carry it in to a local authorized repair facility? But your are correct, you are still within your 90 days after purchase.

Last edited by Xbox69; 03-02-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-02-08, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You lost the receipt and did not keep the box...I don't blame Wal-Mart. I always keep my receipts for well over 90 days and hold onto any and all boxes in case of the above mentioned issue. If you paid in your cash your screwed, if with a credit card they can look it up.
Old 03-03-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to Jah-Wren Ryel, they will take the TV back anytime no matter what the circumstances are, because they say "satisfaction guaranteed."
Old 03-03-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
When I worked in electronics a few years ago, it was 90 days with a receipt. If you came in without a receipt and we didn't even sell the model anymore, it was a no. Go pawn it somewhere else!

Box doesn't matter, but by the point they just wanted you out of there, for not choosing your words wisely.