Comes out April 23. I can't wait!
Old 02-05-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Nice shootin', Tex Fett"
Old 02-05-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm ... I don't like it. I was hoping for something similar to the cover from the Episode I novelization. They'd just look better together on the shelf as a complete set ...
Old 02-05-02, 04:42 PM
Banned

I like the clone armor. They kinda look like stormtroopers with hare lips or a robot version of arse face from The Preacher.

Too bad they put Dawson and Felicity as the central component in the composition. Their lame story will probably take up most of the movie as well. Oh well. It sells I guess.
Old 02-06-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this cover looks great. However, the new 25th annivesary of the original trilogy looks even better.

http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2001...s20011206.html
Old 02-07-02, 02:22 PM
Retired

I like the art and I had no idea that R.A. Salvatore was writing the book! He's one of my favorite authors. His dark elf series of Forgotten Realms books is one of my faves and his previous Star Wars Novel "Vector Prime" was great as well. He did a great job with
Spoiler:
the death of chewbacca
in it.

Last edited by benedict; 02-07-02 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-08-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tend to prefer this cover art myself:

Old 02-12-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the cover art for the novelization and the art of AOTC is incredible. I am especially excited that Salvatore was chosen to write the novelization. He actually worked with Lucas to expand upon the character's back stories for stronger character development. One of my biggest thrills was meeting R.A. Salvatore at the Star Wars Celebration in Denver three years ago. My wife and I actually got to chat with him for like two minutes and I got his autograph. Pretty cool.
Old 02-12-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never really cared for the character portrait covers for The Phantom Menace book. However, The limited edition of the TPM novelization had a great cover. It came in a slip case rather than a dust jacket, and the cover was black stamped with red foil to form Darth Maul's face. It also included an authentic autograph by Terry Brooks. Only 5000 were made. So cool I had to buy two. At 80 bucks a piece it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.
Old 02-23-02, 05:17 AM
Cool New Member

Sweet!!!!
Old 02-23-02, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
At least they didn't get Terry Brooks to do the novel this time. I really like TB in general, but his Phantom Menace was horrible.

I suspect it went something like this:

1. Get huge check.
2. Read Script/See movie.
3. Write book.

It shows.
Old 02-24-02, 11:54 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

I'll be checking this one out... I love RA Salvatore! I've never read any of the Starwars books though, so i'm sure i've missed out on some great stuff.

todd
Old 02-25-02, 12:00 AM

Ok, Starwars fan seeking good Starwars books...

Ok, So i've only seen the movies, and read the book for Episode 1. I'm curious about some of the books that are out though... can anyone recommend some to me? Preferably in chronological order since i wouldnt know what was going on in later books probably. Thanks!

todd
Old 02-25-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Eh. You probably shouldn't bother. At least don't feel like you have to read every single Star Wars novel.

The problem with the Star Wars books -- much like the Star Trek books -- is that they aren't canon. They're essentially derivitive merchandise. George Lucas can contradict anything in any of the books at any time in the movies. It generally only serves to confuse the issues, rather than clarify anything.

The only sci-fi franchise that I'm aware of that doesn't do this would be the Babylon 5 universe. JMS has so far made a pretty good attempt to keep all of the B5 books and comics as canonical as possible.

That said, if you really want to read some Star Wars books, I'd suggest that you give Timothy Zahn's "Heir to the Empire" trilogy a shot. It originally came out about ten years ago when there was a drought of Star Wars material. The books themselves are decent reads, too.
Old 02-25-02, 01:17 AM

I have heard these are good books. I read the comic books sometimes too, I don't care if it's solid info on the world that Lucas creates or not. Lucas is too pompous to realize his own ego that he's destroying his creation. I really like the fan fiction stuff, written for the fans to give them what they want.

todd
Old 02-25-02, 03:14 AM
Uber Member

Timothy Zahn wrote two books (Heir to the Empire & Dark Force Rising) that I liked quite a bit. I believe there's a third book, but I can't remember if I read that one.

But the first two were excellent.

-David
Old 02-25-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've enjoyed almost all of them, but I refuse to read the "new jedi order" ones that are the current ones.
Spoiler:
heard they killed chewie in them
Old 02-25-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I recommend:
Timothy Zahn's original trilogy (he wrote another 2-book storyline a year or two ago that I'd stay away from)
Kevin Anderson's Jedi Academy Trilogy

It's all downhill from there.
Old 02-25-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also reccommend the original Zahn triology of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command. Some of the Anthologies aren't bad either.
Old 02-25-02, 09:58 PM

I'll have to throw in my support for Zahn's trilogy. Haven't read the other two books he wrote though. Also, I really enjoyed Stackpole's X-wing/Rogue Squadron books (well, of the ones I read, which are the first four).
Old 02-26-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I vote for the Zahn Trilogy and for the Han solo Trilogy (A.C. Crispin)

I also have a complete powerpoint presentation that has all the books and authors in chronological order. Is there a place that I can post it on the web where people can download it?
Old 03-01-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also recommend "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry. It is an excellent novel that takes place between the events of "The Empire Strikes Back" and "The Return of the Jedi". I really enjoyed this book and it was the basis for the popular N64 video game and a line of action figures from Hasbro.
Old 03-01-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a comprehensive timeline listing the books in chronological order. This list is from the publisher's website. I've read all of them except the last few in the New Jedi Order series (haven't had enough time). Some are better than others, but all are good reads. There is very little that has been contradicted in later books or by Lucas himself, and all of the books are interconnected. What happens in one book may have consequences three books later so they all kind of blend into one big story. If I had to choose a favorite, I'd probably go with Timothy Zahn's trilogy. Here's the link. The timeline runs from the bottom of the page to the top.
http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/st.../timeline.html
Old 03-01-02, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I read quite a few of those, and outside of Zahn's books I started to tire of them fairly quickly.

I always wondered how an author could write a good book when he has to base it upon the work of 5 other authors.

At least with the Star Trek books there are more to chose from, and some of the episode books are quite good (alot more stinkers too). For the most part, the crossovers suck.
Old 05-18-02, 06:34 PM

Star Wars Expanded Universe Books

After just seeing AOTCs and getting my Star Wars kicks, I got curious after reading a message board where people were talking about the book series if any of those books are worth reading for some light summer fun.

Anybody read many of those? I'd probably want to start at the beginning of one of the series, I'd guess.

It had been years since I'd read any Sci-Fi/Fantasy books, but after rereading LoTR last year, I've read a few along the way for changes of pace. Just thinking about maybe looking at some of these if they are good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.