Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Techtronics.com any good? They have a mod for Toshiba 5109!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Techtronics.com any good? They have a mod for Toshiba 5109!

Old 03-06-01, 03:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know anything about this company? They claim to have supplied NASA with the region free player for the International Space Station.

I want to modify my Toshiba 5109 and they have a modkit that can do it at a cost of about $160 U.S. dollars. Here is the page:

http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/5...d-player.html#

Of course, I am VERY nervous about sending my player across the Atlantic for this. I sent an e-mail to them, but have had no response yet. Anyone deal with them or know someone that's dealt with them before? $160 to modify the player I love is a lot better than dropping over $500 for a low end player with fewer features that is region free.

Thanks much!

(By the way, I have an Apex that is firmware upgraded. It still sucks, so please no responses telling me to get one
Old 03-07-01, 02:00 AM

I have used them in the past, both to purchase players (three in fact) and to have an existing player modified, and have nothing but the highest praise for the company. Their service was faultless from the off with me, and while some people have not had the best experiences, I speak as I find, and IMO they are pretty superb!

Hope this helps

Old 03-07-01, 03:07 AM

Although Techtronics do have good things said about them (NASA amongst others) they've also annoyed (and threatened) customers: http://www.thedvdforums.com/ubb/Foru...ML/000019.html

If they are your only option then you've no choice. Have you tried http://www.dvdcity.com?

Old 03-08-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have any info on this player that dvdcity has listed?

http://www.dvdcity.com/codefree/smc-dvd3300.html

It is code free which I am looking for and it also plays both PAL and NTSC discs on my NTSC tv, atleast that's what I gather from the information given. Anybody have any contradictory information? What are your opinions on this player? Is it a good buy or does the warranty stink? Keep in mind, this is going to be a DVD player solely for codefree use, I already have a Toshiba 5109 and 1200.
Old 03-09-01, 07:43 AM

The best way to judge a retailer is how they deal with you when your machine goes wrong.

Me, and a great many other people have had LOUSY service from them with faulty machines returned to them, many just a couple of months after purchase.

I'd ask Welshlad whether he's ever had to return anything to the for repair, because my experiance with them is that they are the worst retailer I've EVER had to deal with. also read on thedvdforums that their management had threatened the forum with legal action over the customer complain thread.

AVOID
Old 03-09-01, 02:49 PM

<quote> Me, and a great many other people have had LOUSY service from them with faulty machines returned to them, many just a couple of months after purchase. </quote>

Are you referring to DVD City or Techtronics?
Old 03-09-01, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by palace
<quote> Me, and a great many other people have had LOUSY service from them with faulty machines returned to them, many just a couple of months after purchase. </quote>

Are you referring to DVD City or Techtronics?
Old 03-10-01, 07:06 AM

Sorry for the misunderstanding Palace

Techtronics - They REALLY Suck.
Old 03-11-01, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Bingo Bongo
...I'd ask Welshlad whether he's ever had to return anything to the for repair, because my experiance with them is that they are the worst retailer I've EVER had to deal with. also read on thedvdforums that their management had threatened the forum with legal action over the customer complain thread.
AVOID
Personally, NO, thankfully I have not. However, a friend of mine has had to recently return an LG3350 DVD player he bought from there due to pixellation problems, and so far they have been superb with him. They collected the player the day after he phoned, and are taking out the mod, sending it back to LG, who will replace the machine with a brand new one, which they will re-chip and send him back, obviously at no cost to him.
Like I say, I know people have had problems with them, I’m not denying that, but I always like to speak as I find, and personally, having bought a few players from them, and bought from them for family and friends, I have (and still have) nothing but praise for them and their service.
Old 03-12-01, 07:37 AM

Welshlad, I hear what you're saying, and that if they've lways been good for you and youre family then can undestand you're views.

But last October I bought a Panny HT-80 for my dad from Techtronics, which went wrong 5 weeks later, and I'm only getting the refund on my card NOW speaks volumes.

As with your friend they tried to lay off the problem with a 3rd party (the manufacturer), rather than replacing it themselves. Therefore as a consumer you're caught between two organisations, both playing the other off.

Whether through being overoptimistic or not, they would set deadlines (e.g. "Panasonic say they'll return it in 3 weeks"), and then constantly break them. Although the manufacturer must shoulder some blame, techtronics is the company I transacted with and therefore legally have overall responsibility, and yet they seem to constantly rely on the manufacturer to solve problems.

Its for this reason that I would suggest that anyone ABSOLUTELY AVOID using them. I suggest your friend keeps close tabs on them. Let me know how you get on.