Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New TV and Receiver purchase...help needed

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-17-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I am new to this section of DVDTalk so bear with me if this has been asked a thousand times already.

I am in the market for a new TV and receiver for my home theater. I had purchased a 720p plasma a few years back and decided to give it to my parents who were in need of a TV. I also gave them the receiver so they can have the benefits of HDTV.

Well, after some improvements (which included a lot of new dry wall), I am getting ready to buy the new equipment. But I am totally clueless on what to buy at this point.

Here are some facts to help with recommendations:

TV Size - 42" and up is fine
1080p a must (Want to get those Hi-def DVD players)
More than 2 HDMI inputs
CableCard optional

And for the receiver:

7.1 surround (I have 7 speakers)
HDMI switching
XM Radio (I would like this, but not required)

Lastly, I might be able to do a projector, since I have room for it. But again I am clueless on what to look for. My price range is around $3500 max. So if anyone can assist me, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

even though you said 1080p is a must, I will try and assist you, nice i am also from North Jersey (and REALLY in Soprano Country - Essex County).

how far are you sitting from your TV?

How large is the room?

Why do you need more than 2 HDMI inputs if your receiver has HDMI switching? You only need 1.

What speakers are you using?

Sub?
Old 12-17-07, 08:15 PM

Nice Morris County in the house here....to answer:

1. it is about 6 feet away

2. Not sure on the exact dimensions, but would say 12 X 12

3. I assumed you needed multiple inputs on the TV and switching on the receiver. So if it is just the receiver then fine.

4. Klipsch Sinergy series (6 in total)

5. Yes Klipsch Sinergy sub

Hope that helps
Old 12-17-07, 08:37 PM

The Onkyo 605 is a must for the reciever. It will help with your requirements.
Old 12-18-07, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by insanecollector
The Onkyo 605 is a must for the reciever. It will help with your requirements.
This one does look like a good choice....but I did read this on the Cnet review:

The bad: Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI; HDMI video quality converted from analog sources may not satisfy videophiles; Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding cannot be used with current crop of high-definition video players.

Now does that mean if you try to run like an upconvert DVD player or something like that, it will reduce the signal or does it mean something else?
Old 12-18-07, 09:19 AM

Now does that mean if you try to run like an upconvert DVD player or something like that, it will reduce the signal or does it mean something else?
If the original signal is 1080P, then you will get 1080P. I have the A-3 and the Panasonic DMP30 hooked up via HDMI and no issues with down convert. I also have no issues with Dolby True HD or DTS HD. It sounds great.
Old 12-18-07, 10:32 AM

if 1080p is a must (which i never understand), then go with a 46" Samsung LCD. the black levels are a big improvement over prior models and its 1080p. 46" will at least get you to a point where you may be able to see the resolution differences between 1080p and 720p.

the onkyo is a good choice only if you are staying with the 605. the 7/805 have a few issues.

i would also look at the new yamahas that are out. they have the XM radio built in as well and I love Yamahas. klipsh are horns (i think) and may go well with the yamaha.

go to 6th avenue Electronics and take a look at some tvs and listen to some receivers.

you only need one HDMI input on your tv since your receiver will be a switch. the Onkyo 605 has 2 HDMI inputs and doesnt upconvert over component. if you have more than 2 sources that are HDMI you will need a switch from monoprice.

get all of your cables from monoprice. order them in advance so you dont wait for them.

The Samsung 1080p is on sale at Circuit City right now and also at amazon with a free harmony remote. here is the fatwallet link.....

Link

that tv for around $1500 is a great price. get it soon.

everyone here loves the onkyo 605. it is a great budget receiver. if you have the extra money you can look at some other models as well.

Yamaha RX-v1800 is a SICK receiver. 130wpc, 4 hdmi in, video upconverting, xm-ready.

retail is $1300 but you can get it for under 1k if you try. NOT a budget receiver and worth every penny.
Old 12-18-07, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
if 1080p is a must (which i never understand), then go with a 46" Samsung LCD. the black levels are a big improvement over prior models and its 1080p. 46" will at least get you to a point where you may be able to see the resolution differences between 1080p and 720p.

the onkyo is a good choice only if you are staying with the 605. the 7/805 have a few issues.

i would also look at the new yamahas that are out. they have the XM radio built in as well and I love Yamahas. klipsh are horns (i think) and may go well with the yamaha.

go to 6th avenue Electronics and take a look at some tvs and listen to some receivers.

you only need one HDMI input on your tv since your receiver will be a switch. the Onkyo 605 has 2 HDMI inputs and doesnt upconvert over component. if you have more than 2 sources that are HDMI you will need a switch from monoprice.

get all of your cables from monoprice. order them in advance so you dont wait for them.

The Samsung 1080p is on sale at Circuit City right now and also at amazon with a free harmony remote. here is the fatwallet link.....

Link

that tv for around $1500 is a great price. get it soon.

everyone here loves the onkyo 605. it is a great budget receiver. if you have the extra money you can look at some other models as well.

Yamaha RX-v1800 is a SICK receiver. 130wpc, 4 hdmi in, video upconverting, xm-ready.

retail is $1300 but you can get it for under 1k if you try. NOT a budget receiver and worth every penny.
1080p is me future proofing. Only reason I want it. I can do $1300 for a receiver, then I probably won't have buy another one for quite sometime. Does the Yamaha have Dolby True HD or DTS HD? Again for future proof.
Old 12-18-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by macnorton
This one does look like a good choice....but I did read this on the Cnet review:

The bad: Downconverts 1080i component video signals to 720p when outputting over HDMI; HDMI video quality converted from analog sources may not satisfy videophiles; Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding cannot be used with current crop of high-definition video players.

Wait, so the receiver does NOT do TrueHD and DTS-HD? I'm confused now as I was looking at the Onkyo 605.
Old 12-18-07, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Wait, so the receiver does NOT do TrueHD and DTS-HD? I'm confused now as I was looking at the Onkyo 605.
Yes it does, I was asking if the other one did.
Old 12-18-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
1080p is me future proofing. .
Do you plan on getting eye implants in the future??

Sorry...couldn't help myself. What your hearing is some of do not see the benefit of 1080p in the size set you are looking at. It is not an issue of "future" technology, but your eyes. You simply will not be able to see all that resolution at that size of a set, regardless of what your are feeding that set (except a computer).

In addition, it is widely accepted that resolution is about the fourth most important factor is overall picture quality. Meaning if having the best picture possible is the most important factor, your skipping three factors that are MORE important.

For example, one of the best images I have ever seen (and consistently see) is from the Panasonic 42" and 50" plasma's that are 720p. I truely believe they have a better image then the 1080p Samsung LCD's.

Having said all that, the 46" LCD 1080p models have really come down. I actually have on my short list the Samsung LNT4661 which is $1,350 at CC after AAA discount (if you have AAA). But I'm looking at because LCD generally do better in a bright room then plasma. I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger, as I might just want to get better light control in the room and then have a noticeable better picture from the 50" Panasonic Plasma.

So I personally would not consider 1080p a need. However, if it doesn't cost any more, then I don't mind having it. And there may be other features or benefits to the set that might make it worth spending a little more for.
Old 12-18-07, 04:24 PM

1080p is me future proofing. Only reason I want it. I can do $1300 for a receiver, then I probably won't have buy another one for quite sometime. Does the Yamaha have Dolby True HD or DTS HD? Again for future proof.

it does. here is the product page.

Link

I am tempted to sell my 1700 to get the 1800, but there are just so few differences.
Old 01-25-08, 11:11 AM

Wanted to bump this one for a question I had about the Yamaha RX-V1800. I read this on Crutchfield from an owner...can someone explain this:

I bought this unit a while ago, but was so disappointed with one "feature" that I had to write and warn others. The HDMI video pass-through degrades the video noticeably. The only reason I paid the significant upcharge for so many extra HDMI ports was to be able to use a single remote control ... but no such luck! The professional installers who came to hook it up with my new 46" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD even warned me, but I found it hard to believe that a $1,000 component would have any problems with pass-through video. So, we did a blind test and hooked up the video cables directly to the TV and then through the Yamaha. Wow! It was a significant AND noticeable difference. Not even close. Needless to say, I connected all video cables directly to the TV and only use the Yamaha for audio.

Even worse : I later added an XBOX360 and needed one more HDMI port on my TV. I bought a Pure-AV HDMI switch-box for about $100. Guess what? It did a flawless job of video pass through and had no degradation of quality whatsoever.

I would have thought this was just my bad luck, but a relative had the EXACT same problem with another Yamaha AV receiver. They did the same test and agreed; the Yamaha just degraded the clean HDMI video too much to bear. They bypassed their Yamaha for video and went directly to the TV with their DVD and cable box video.

Last edited by macnorton; 01-25-08 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
For example, one of the best images I have ever seen (and consistently see) is from the Panasonic 42" and 50" plasma's that are 720p. I truely believe they have a better image then the 1080p Samsung LCD's.

I love my 50" Panny 720p.
SD DVDs look absolutely stunning via an upconverting player, and the HD-DVD titles are beyond that.
Old 01-26-08, 06:36 PM
Banned

$2000 for Pioneer PDP-5080HD
$1500 for either Denon AVR 3808CI or Yamaha RX-V3800

Done.
Old 01-28-08, 12:38 PM

Ok after some research, the Yamaha RX-v1800 seems to be my best receiver bet. Still trying to figure out which TV to go with.

If I recall correctly, Panasonic makes an excellent plasma and Sharp makes an excellent LCD. Any specific models I should take a look at?
Old 01-28-08, 01:04 PM
Suspended

What issues are you referring to? I have had the 805 for a few months now, with absolutely no issues.
Old 01-28-08, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
What issues are you referring to? I have had the 805 for a few months now, with absolutely no issues.

you' would have to ask a few people who have done some more research than I have regarding the Onkyo. i know there were threads on here that mentioned it specifically.
Old 01-28-08, 01:47 PM

Ok after some research, the Yamaha RX-v1800 seems to be my best receiver bet. Still trying to figure out which TV to go with.

If I recall correctly, Panasonic makes an excellent plasma and Sharp makes an excellent LCD. Any specific models I should take a look at?

Panasonic 50PX75u

6th Avenue has it this week for $1300 which seems to be the general current bottom price for this tv.
Old 01-29-08, 10:12 AM

The reviews look solid for 50PX75u...might buy two of them (my parents need a second one for their bed room).
Old 01-29-08, 10:20 AM

The reviews look solid for 50PX75u...might buy two of them (my parents need a second one for their bed room).

best bang for your buck TV on the market. the pioneer is about 5% better a TV at 60% more expensive.
Old 01-29-08, 01:09 PM
Suspended

you' would have to ask a few people who have done some more research than I have regarding the Onkyo. i know there were threads on here that mentioned it specifically.
I haven't had any issues with mine. The 605/705 have overheating issues, as well as popping issues IIRC.
Old 01-30-08, 12:35 AM
Banned

best bang for your buck TV on the market. the pioneer is about 5% better a TV at 60% more expensive.
No, stop spreading bullshit.
Old 01-30-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
That wasn't actually a criticism of the receiver. What they were saying is that the players out at that time (May or June of 2007) did not pass the new codecs as bitstream. Of the HD DVD players available then, I believe only the XA2 eventually would get it through a firmware update. I don't think any BD players did either, but I really haven't followed the standalones, so maybe someone else can chime in. The PS3 still cannot, and the word is that it never will due to the chip they used. (It will still decode and pass PCM though, just like the other players, but not DTS-HD MA yet.)
Old 01-30-08, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
No, stop spreading bullshit.

excuse me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.