Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Breaking Bad on AMC starring Bryan Cranston. Anyone hear any "buzz" about this show?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad on AMC starring Bryan Cranston. Anyone hear any "buzz" about this show?

Old 01-13-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Saw a blurb in EW from a week or so ago and this show caught my eye, specifically since it has Bryan Cranston. He was the reason why I watched Malcolm in the Middle on a regular basis. Looks like the Pilot episode is on 01/20.

Here's the synopsis of the show from TV.com:

Bryan Cranston (Malcolm in the Middle) stars in this drama focused on a mid-life crisis gone bad for a high school chemistry teacher who becomes a drug dealer after he discovers that he has lung cancer.
Old 01-14-08, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard of it, but it sounds interesting.
Old 01-14-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read a great review in EW.

After the awesomeness that is Mad Men, I will definitely give a new show on AMC a chance.
Old 01-14-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw the pilot episode, and I really liked it.

It's a lot different than Mad Men, and Bryan Cranston goes all out.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/
Old 01-14-08, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Love Cranston, so I'll check it out, plus after all the critical (and fans here) acclaim Mad Men is getting, I'll have to check it out as well.
Old 01-21-08, 12:40 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I thought it was pretty good and will tune in again.

Cranston was great

I did spend the first half hour trying to remember where I had seen his wife before and then it dawned on me that she was Martha Bullock on Deadwood.
Old 01-21-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you can believe it, AMC is worse than TNT when it comes to incessantly promoting their shows. Before tonight's premiere even aired, I had been sick of it for weeks.

das
Old 01-21-08, 01:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I had only seen a few promos for it. Too me it was nowhere near what they did for Mad Men or what TNT does for The Closer or Saving Grace.
Old 01-21-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was a pretty good pilot. I am very interested to see how Walt is going to keep his moonlighting from family, friends and coworkers.

I thought it was odd that they shot/edited into the show scenes that had to obviously be censored in the final cut (breasts, the f word). I guess muting out the f-word is more realistic than saying something with less dramatic effect...
Old 01-21-08, 08:55 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed it. Love Cranston.

Reminded me a lot of Little Miss Sunshine as far as it being centered around a family that isn't in great shape financially and is looked down upon. Plus the lead is a teacher/professor.
Old 01-21-08, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by conscience
I thought it was odd that they shot/edited into the show scenes that had to obviously be censored in the final cut (breasts, the f word). I guess muting out the f-word is more realistic than saying something with less dramatic effect...
that was the one thing that pissed me off. why censor a show you are promoting??? from what I saw, this was an AMC original. was this shopped around to HBO/Showtime?
Old 01-21-08, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great pilot. I'm a big fan of Cranston, and I like how this character is different than what we're used to seeing in Malcolm in the Middle. Are all the episodes going to be commercial free?
Old 01-21-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Loved it. Nice to have a great new show starting while this !)@#* strike goes on and on.
Old 01-21-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched this last night and liked it.

However - who ever shot the show did it with those soft lenses. The show looked like I was watching it through wax paper.

I hope the next episode is sharper.

Did anyone else notice this?
Old 01-21-08, 12:37 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it, too; I'm definitely going to be back next week.

Originally Posted by DocBrass
that was the one thing that pissed me off. why censor a show you are promoting??? from what I saw, this was an AMC original. was this shopped around to HBO/Showtime?
Yeah, I assumed it was made with HBO/Showtime in mind and then AMC picked it up, based on the censoring (and commercial-free 60 minute runtime). I'm guessing the actual series after the pilot will be made with AMC content levels in mind (or maybe they'll keep it at the same level as the pilot and use "Uncensored" as a selling point for the eventual DVD release).

I find it incredibly silly that in a show about a guy who cooks meth, AMC is worried about offending people with a 5 second tit shot and a few uses of "the f word" (gasp!), but that's another discussion.

Last edited by sb5; 01-21-08 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I watched this last night and liked it.

However - who ever shot the show did it with those soft lenses. The show looked like I was watching it through wax paper.

I hope the next episode is sharper.

Did anyone else notice this?
Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. It was distracting at times...
Old 01-22-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
watched this show last night with my folks, we all enjoyed it said we would at least watch episode 2. The cursing and nudity being censored didn't bother me but seemed put in for the eventual unrated DVD.

I was not expecting that 3 minute hand job sequence. I don't recommend sitting between your mom and dad when watching this episode, it was very awkward and seemed to go on forever.
Old 01-22-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Thought this was very good. Either Bryan Cranston loves walking around in his tighty-whitey undies or they just love writing that in the scrips. I think they had him do that about twice a season on Malcolm in the Middle.

So far, this is a good premise.
Old 01-25-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I watched this on demand last night and rather enjoyed it. I was curious to see how Bryan Cranston would do in a more dramatic role and thought he handled it well. I felt TERRIBLE for him when his punk ass student took a picture of him washing the kid's car.

The creator/writer/director is from Richmond, VA, so it's nice to see a hometown boy do good.

I missed out on "Mad Men" and was hoping AMC would offer it on demand, too, but no dice. Maybe they'll put it up closer to when the second season premieres.

Originally Posted by conscience
It didn't take me out of the show, but I found it odd, too. "Shit" was allowed, but "God damn" was muted. And according to posts on the IMDB board for this show, different airings had different scenes with the topless woman (one with blurred out boobies, one where she wears a black bra). Weird.
Old 01-25-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DJLinus
And according to posts on the IMDB board for this show, different airings had different scenes with the topless woman (one with blurred out boobies, one where she wears a black bra). Weird.
I watched the HD On Deamand version and it was blurred. I wonder what version had her wearing a bra? is this gonna be the norm with different versions in every episode?
Old 09-27-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad on AMC starring Bryan Cranston. Anyone hear any "buzz" about this s

to go from 20 comments with praise to what it's become now, almost shocking.
Old 09-27-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad on AMC starring Bryan Cranston. Anyone hear any "buzz" about this s

It was a pilot with near universal praise, pretty rare.
Old 09-27-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

In on the ground floor, mother fuckers!
Old 09-27-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice resurrection !
Old 09-27-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Nope, no idea. What's it about?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.