Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I sell my Xbox 360?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-11-08, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about selling my Xbox 360 because I have a ton of books I haven't read yet and movies I haven't watched that I would like to see. I also have a wife and 2 kids (3 and under) so any time I have to do these things is very limited, hence I feel sometimes I should be enriching my life by reading or watching a movie, not playing the same levels (multiplayer) over and over in Call of Duty or Halo 3.

In addition to the Xbox 360 I have a Nintendo Wii and I hardly ever play the Wii because I'm always playing COD4. I still would have video games to play if I ever wanted to on the Wii.

You'd think it wouldn't bother me too much to just have an Xbox and not play it but I flip flop between wanting to sell it and do other things (read, movies) or keep it and play it whenever I have down time so I figure if I sell it, that will help me out some. I do flip flop though.

Anybody feel this way about playing video games if you have limited time? All replies are welcome but guys with families that reply are especially helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-11-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. You should. Your desire to read and spend time with family sickens me.
Old 01-11-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you need the money? Having it there as an option is fine too, unless you really can't control yourself.
Old 01-11-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm... I have a 360, Wii, PS3, DS, HD-DVD player, tons of unwatched movies, unread books, a wife, live in NYC, work 40+ hours a week, workout 6-7 days a week, train clients, a dog that needs time, and I wouldnt sell my 360. I dont know, I like having options
Old 01-11-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yes. You should. Your desire to read and spend time with family sickens me.
QFT
Old 01-11-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sell it to me...for five dollars!!! MUHAHEHAHWHWHWHHAAHAWW!!!!
Old 01-11-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sell it and spend in on a nice night out on the town with your wife. That's a rare evening of lovin' most married people don't ever get.
Old 01-11-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
I'm confused. Why would you keep the Wii, which you state you never play, and get rid of the 360, which you say you play all the time??? That really makes no sense at all.

I have a wife and kid, Netflix, cable/DVR, books, etc. and a 360. I personally never play my 360 when my kid is at home. I play with him and spend time with him and the wife. This may change as he gets older and learns to play but right now, he gets my attention the majority of the time.

I only play Xbox when I have a day off or when the kid goes to bed. My wife wants to do her own thing after 9pm and that's when I play Xbox. 9pm until whenever. I also work out of my home so sometimes I get to steal some time during the day when they aren't here and work is caught up. But that is also my time to read, watch, or exercise.

It's all about priorities and what you personally enjoy doing. I just got my 360 back in September when Halo3 came out. I had just ended a self-imposed year and a half Xbox sabbatical. I felt I was playing to much Xbox, sold it and the games and went back to watching movies and reading. I had a DS to keep me company but it wasn't nearly as fun as the Xbox so I really didn't play it that much.

And I regret it. I missed a lot of good games and a lot of time that I could have been playing them with friends on Live or alone.

You just have to make time to do other things and not let the 360 rule your life, even if you have to make a shcedule. Play 360 one night, read a book the next, catch up on movies the next and then repeat. It just takes self-control and some discipline.

But if you really can't put the 360 down in favor of reading a book...then to me you really don't want to read the book that much. Do what you enjoy. Life's to short to worry with things you think you should do versus things you want to do.
Old 01-11-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Because, life is too short to enjoy.
Old 01-11-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep it! You'll want to play it when you do have time.

I have a wife, 2 kids (2yr old and 3mo old), 2 dogs, 1.5 jobs, a never ending "Honey-Do" list, read, watch movies and work-out. I love my XB360 and play it whenever I find the time after the more important priorities are taken care of first. Granted, sometimes I am able to go through stretches where I play it for an hour or two every other day after the family is in bed and sometimes I don't get to play it for weeks or months at a time. I am fine with that as I know it will always be there waiting for when I do have the time. It is all about balancing what is important to you in life and what makes you happy.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
If you can get a decent price for the setup, then I say go for it and sell it. Take the money and take the wife out for a nice evening, take the kids to an amusement park. If you find yourself some time down the road wanting to get back into the 360 scene, you'll be better off buying a new console (with hopefully better quality) at a lower price.
Old 01-11-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts
I sold mine last year and made it about 3 months before buying another one. Not having it for a while helped me get in the habit of making more time for other things, i.e. books, working out, friends, etc., but I just enjoy it too much to not have one around at all. If you're wasting too much time on it, why not just pack it up and make yourself go a couple months without. It's probably less of a hassle than selling it and rebuying.
Old 01-11-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Keep it. If you enjoy it and love playing COD4 on it, I don't see why you should get rid of it just to force yourself to do other things.

If you really wanted to read or watch more movies, you'd do it regardless of the 360. Keep doing the things you enjoy. Nothing wrong with it!
Old 01-11-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Why sell it? Just don't play it and do other things. Then when you have some time, fire that bitch up.

My Wii is starting to collect dust because I just stopped playing it. That's because of the 3 Wii games I have only one, RE4, was a hit with me. The other 2, Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid 3 are both tedious boring games to me. Looking at the list of shit being released on the Wii also makes me yawn.

But you know what? I'm not going to sell my Wii.

Keep your 360
Old 01-11-08, 03:18 PM

just stick it in the basement for 6 months then when you really wanna use it bring it back up.

i do this on occasion when i have 4-5 other things i need to do/complete and feel overwhelmed
Old 01-11-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just start gaming after the family goes to bed. That's what I do. Trade off gaming one night and movies the other. And really, what's a book?
Old 01-11-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You could dip into more of the story driven experiences of a single player game. Also, COD4 or Halo 3 are not appropriate, but you should consider trying out some gams that are kid friendly, maybe even ones you can convince the wife to take turns with you or play coop. This could make your 360 time more enriching. Also, there's no reason why you can't also spend more family gaming time on the Wii as well.
Old 01-11-08, 07:00 PM

You should ask your wife.
Old 01-12-08, 06:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Wrap it up as a Christmas present, label it to yourself from Santa, and put it where ever you keep your Christmas tree/decorations.

This coming Christmas, you'll likely have forgotten what you did and have a pleasant surprise!
Old 01-12-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I'm confused. Why would you keep the Wii, which you state you never play, and get rid of the 360, which you say you play all the time??? That really makes no sense at all.

Because if he had the 360 around, he would not spend time with his wife and kids or read books and watch dvds.

If he had the Wii around, he doesnt have that temptation.
Old 01-12-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not get your kids/wife into the Wii. Your wife might not be into COD4 or Halo 3, but she might like raving rabbids and Mario party.
Old 01-12-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Why can't you fuck your wife*, play with your kids, read a book and play games? I'm sure lots of us around here juggle the same things.

*disclaimer - no offense intended, I'm not familiar with your user name.
Old 01-12-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Because if he had the 360 around, he would not spend time with his wife and kids or read books and watch dvds.

If he had the Wii around, he doesnt have that temptation.
In that case, I'd suggest a PS3
Old 01-12-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Hmmmm....well I'd say go with your gut feeling. I mean everyone has a lot going on with their live, family, work, friends,etc...I know friends who go out and get all sorts of new stuff only to slowly get bored or have no time be it golf, boating, cycles, sports or whatever. There's only so much time and you can spread yourself so thin as to get that feeling of you're not getting enough out of it.

Ask yourself what is it that makes you happy or feel relaxed and go with it. My wife understands the "gaming" thing as it's a relief for me instead of hanging out at some bar spending loads of money. If the kids play to then that's good as long as it's not hours on end. Bottom line..family is first and cannot be replaced while material stuff can.

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper
Old 01-12-08, 04:15 PM
Suspended

Sell your wife. Your lack of gaming interest sickens me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.