Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got an XBox 360, won't display correctly with component HD, will with HDMI?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just got an XBox 360, won't display correctly with component HD, will with HDMI?

Old 12-29-07, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really confused as to what's going on. Today I just picked up an XBox 360 (the newer "Go Pro" bundle which is supposed to have the newest motherboards and 65nm chips to run cooler). My TV is a less than year old Westinghouse LTV-32w6.

When I hooked it up using the included Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable per the instructions, I immediately noticed something amiss. The display was terribly washed out, to the point where I could hardly see anything, and the only visible color was pink. Thinking it may have been the component connections I plugged into, I tried the second available ports, with the same result. However, when I unplugged the component cable and tried the HDMI one that I normally use for my DVD player, that displayed and worked just fine.

Did I get a bunk cable or something? I was able to access my calibration menus and such from my TV remote, that part showed up fine (the direct TV menu access), but anything being put out by the XBox was unusable.

Anyone have any ideas? I could take some pictures if that might help.

Edit -- Oh and I just realized, this should probably go in Video Game Talk. Sorry.
Old 12-29-07, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's display setting in Xbox menu. Maybe if you make some change and it should work??
Old 12-29-07, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
There's display setting in Xbox menu. Maybe if you make some change and it should work??
I tried that, too. I was able to squint and strain my way into the proper menus, switched the setting from its default of 480p to 1080i and set the reference colors to expanded, but there was no change really. Kind of makes me think something was broken out of the box, but I don't really want to return it unless I absolutely have to.
Old 12-29-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Then I guess there's something wrong with either AV cable or your 360 video port.
Old 12-30-07, 01:07 PM

Alright so I took some pictures with my BlackBerry...any ideas?

Here's the 360 running on HDMI...

And here it is running on the included component HD...

Old 12-30-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
How about trying the Composite connection to see if that works too? That might help to see if the AV port or the cable is working properly. You had the HD switch on the AV cable enabled, right?
Old 12-30-07, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
How about trying the Composite connection to see if that works too? That might help to see if the AV port or the cable is working properly. You had the HD switch on the AV cable enabled, right?
Hmm, interesting. I tried that (thanks!) and it did work properly, albeit in non-widescreen 480i which is to be expected.

So, since that's the case, it would seem the XBox's video card outputs are fine, but perhaps both of my TV's component inputs are bad? That pretty well sucks. Now I'll need to get a second HDMI cable and switching box to be able to use the XBox and my DVD player on the same inputs.
Old 12-30-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by prp2
Hmm, interesting. I tried that (thanks!) and it did work properly, albeit in non-widescreen 480i which is to be expected.

So, since that's the case, it would seem the XBox's video card outputs are fine, but perhaps both of my TV's component inputs are bad? That pretty well sucks. Now I'll need to get a second HDMI cable and switching box to be able to use the XBox and my DVD player on the same inputs.
Have you tried hooking your DVD player (or anything else) up to the component inputs, today or in the past?
Old 12-30-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Have you tried hooking your DVD player (or anything else) up to the component inputs, today or in the past?
Also, see if there's another TV you can try, like a neighbor or friend that you can test your XBox on too.
Old 12-30-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
My sister's 360 was doing the exact same thing except it was making everything green instead of pink.

The solution: she rechecked her component connections and had made a mistake on the red connection (she either had put it in the wrong input or had missed it completely...don't know which as I was coaching her on the phone). She redid the connections and surprise...it worked perfectly.
Old 12-30-07, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
If your cables are all plugged into the right colors, then you probably got a bad cable. I got a bad cable on my first 360. The component cables don't seem to have particularly solid construction. Thankfully I'm using HDMI now.
Old 12-30-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ah, perfect chance to ask a question...

sorry, while i don't have the answer to your question prp2 (other than bad component connectors), i do have a question for you...

when you connect your X360 via HDMI, what's the resolution? Is it higher than 720p? thanks...
Old 12-30-07, 05:25 PM

It's probably your tv. I've had that same problem with component input with progressive scan dvd players as well. When trying the player on a different tv, it always works fine. It could be the cable as well, so try on another tv first.
Old 12-30-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Are you sure you have the component cable set to HD? I think default out of the box setting is SD. There is a little switch on the connector that plugs into the back of the 360 on the component cable.

What you are getting isn't a typical result of that problem, but I didn't see it mentioned and may be at least worth checking.
Old 12-30-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you sure that you don't have the blue and green cables transposed by accident?
Old 12-30-07, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
ah, perfect chance to ask a question...

sorry, while i don't have the answer to your question prp2 (other than bad component connectors), i do have a question for you...

when you connect your X360 via HDMI, what's the resolution? Is it higher than 720p? thanks...
I'm pretty sure it defaulted to 720p, but I adjusted it to 1080i in the setup menu (which is the highest my TV will support).
Old 12-30-07, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Are you sure you have the component cable set to HD? I think default out of the box setting is SD. There is a little switch on the connector that plugs into the back of the 360 on the component cable.

What you are getting isn't a typical result of that problem, but I didn't see it mentioned and may be at least worth checking.
Yup, that was the first thing I checked, too. It's not such a huge deal I guess, being that HDMI works fine I just have to switch it back and forth from my DVD player. Just was a bit disconcerting to have it display all crazily the first time I attempted to hook it up.
Old 12-30-07, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Are you sure that you don't have the blue and green cables transposed by accident?
I am, though I guess it's not out of the question that they could be mis-labeled on my TV. I'm going to try playing around with them.
Old 12-30-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I am, though I guess it's not out of the question that they could be mis-labeled on my TV. I'm going to try playing around with them.
Yep. That's worth a shot. The cables could be wrong also.
Old 12-30-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
That definitely looks like "wrong color in wrong port", so I'd do a lot of process of elimination tests.
Old 01-02-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure it defaulted to 720p, but I adjusted it to 1080i in the setup menu (which is the highest my TV will support).
thanks... it seems that if you connect directly to the TV, 1080's are there via HDMI. However, connecting through receivers is another matter and that's the source of my problem.