Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Lumet, 2007) — Hoffman/Hawke/Finney/Tomei

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-31-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMDB | DVD Talk Review | RT: 85%

<hr>

This movie looks awesome. It's getting a lot of good reviews. In limited release now but I'm hoping there's an expansion soon.
Old 10-31-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking forward to a wide release. The DVD talk review got me excited.
Old 10-31-07, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saw this at Toronto Film Festival. Very good, great performances. Plot is intentionally over the top. Very enjoyable. 8/10
Old 10-31-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait!... for the DVD.
Old 10-31-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll Netflix this one for sure.
Old 11-01-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Caught this at the NY Film Festival with Lumet present for a Q&A. It's an over-the-top melodrama that is pitch-perfect - terrific movie!
Old 11-01-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
I just saw Dog Day Afternoon a few weeks ago (I went an HD renting spree), and was wondering what Lumet was up to (or more directly, if he was still alive). Was a fantastic movie (amazing performances that you just don't seem to get these days, and its amazing how much Robert Downey Jr. looks like 70s Al Pacino) and I have some high hopes for this one, really want to see it.

Alas, we get Wristcutters this weekend (local actor is in it, though it may just be going wide-ish) but no Devil Knows You're Dead.
Old 11-01-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heard great things, and love PSH as an actor. I'm so there.
Old 11-03-07, 12:40 PM

A great little theater here in Nashville will have this film on the 16th, so I'll be catching it then.
Old 11-04-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's not Dustin Hoffman!!

I can understand putting last names in thread titles but perhaps we should be a bit more clear about it.
Old 11-04-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That's not Dustin Hoffman!!

I can understand putting last names in thread titles but perhaps we should be a bit more clear about it.
Thread titles can only be so long. Plus, I put P.S. Hoffman's picture first in the thread.
Old 11-18-07, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone had a chance to see this? It was in my local theater for about a week and then it disappeared all the way to a tiny 4 screen theater 10 miles from me when I went to see it. I'm sure it'll be gone by the end of the week.

I thought it was superb. Amazing acting all around. Ethan Hawke was as good as I've ever seen him, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman rocked the house. The rest of the cast was great, and WOW is Marissa Tomei looking fine! Anyone who's a fan of her can rest easy, we see practically every inch of her.

I would compare this movie's mood as very Shakespearian. Everything is just a downward spiral from the opening moments to the very last frame. You know things are going to go from bad to worse, but you can't help but watch this train wreck in motion.
Old 11-24-07, 10:43 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
I saw this last night - exceptional film.

Regarding the point CKMorpheus makes, it is a downward spiral, but what makes it different from other movies is that the aftermath is so compelling and well-constructed.

Surprised that more are not going to see this -- go see it before it's too late.
Old 11-24-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. P.S. Hoffman gave an amazing performance. He's just a joy to watch. I was kinda worried because one of the first scenes in the movie (the robbery) had some fucking terrible acting but after that the movie picks up.

And yeah Tomei is smokin hot.
Old 11-24-07, 03:43 PM

Caught this a couple weeks ago in Los Feliz. Excellent performances as stated by others. Great twist at the beginning of the movie.
Old 11-27-07, 02:55 AM

Just saw this today. Awesome movie. I love the way the dread and intensity builds and builds. The last 15 minutes floored me. And probably one of the best performances by Hoffman, which is saying a LOT. He's truly amazing.

Not a very unique post, I know.
Old 11-30-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I had to suspend disbelief for a couple of times (
Spoiler:
the nurse and the heart monitor comments - remind me to never go to that hospital...
), I still felt the movie was strong and the entire cast excellent.

I agree with RyoHazuki - Hoffman is a force as an actor. His performance (especially in the last third of the film) is truly amazing and that scene in the car on the side of the road almost made me tear up. Finney is his usual strong self.

The score was another strong aspect of the film. That particular piece that is played numerous times sounds like something from a Hitchcock film. Very vintage.

A really good, tense film.

Spoiler:
I guess I was the only one: but at the beginning when I found out Hoffman's character's name was Andy I thought it was him that was shot by the mother (Hank yells out Andy while driving off frantically). I know, I know - Hoffman is a little heavier than Bobby but I was caught off guard there thinking Hoffman's character ended up being killed until the reveal about Bobby.
Old 12-01-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was able to see this last night and loved it. Hoffman gave yet another solid performance. Finney and Hawke also gave strong supporting help. The Editing was terrific as well. Definitely enjoyed the way the film was pieced together. And as mentioned before, the last 15-20 minutes of the film is crazy.
Old 12-02-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't offer much outside of echoing everyone else: I loved it-a lot actually, probably damn near my fav of 07, so far, with only a few to possibly top it.

Just great all around, endlessly engaging, and I really like the editing from one scene to the next, that jarring, alomst DJing of the film.
Old 12-21-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Fantastic movie. Bumped Zodiac down to no. 2 of the year for me.
I'm now convinced that PSH is the greatest actor working right now.
Old 12-21-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No love from the GG? Idiots...
Old 12-22-07, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. This is an incredible film. It reminded me of the Departed (my favourite film from last year) in the way the tension and paranoia just continues to snowball for each of the main characters until it reaches a chilling, suspenseful climax that resonates with so much tragedy, due for the most part to the way it is so inevitable -- there is no other real way the situation could possibly resolve. The performances are stunning, Hoffman in particular, but that's been said and said enough. Just one of the very best films of the year.
Old 12-29-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just got done watching this and WOW. lumet has still got it. the last 20 minutes were really intense and i loved the ending.
Old 12-30-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great movie. I loved how all of the events played out.
Old 01-01-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Liked it a bunch, reminded me of Fargo, Marisa is still a hottie*.

*Oh and did I mention that I was in the same class as Marisa Tomei way back in J.H.S. , yeah she was a hottie back then .

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.