Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Shop : 80's metal radio show

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-30-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

m-m-m-m-m-m-m-metal shop!

anyone remember listening to this radio show? Hosted by "The Butcher" Charlie Kendal. It had alot of classic interviews and old school metal news.

I have started collecting the old radio records of it. It's bringing back alot of memories of how great the 80's metal scene used to be. I think it ended in the early 90's (when grunge hit of course), anyone know an web site or have an info on the show... how long it aired, when did it go from being an hour to two hours? and most importantly, where can I find more copies of the show?

I'm listening to a show of it right now. For the record the Top 3 "metal"s of the week of Aug. 2, 1985 are...

3 - AC/DC "Danger"
2 - Scorpions "Big City Nights"
1 - Ratt "Lay It Down"

oh... and the "Fresh Metal" of the week is Pile Diver "Metal Inquisition", Ozzy Osbourne is the feature interview of the week and Steve Grimmet from Grim Reaper picked Ratt "Round and Round" for his Desert Island song.
Old 07-30-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Yeah, I remember that show. I listened to it religiously every week back in the late '80s. It was on that show where I first heard G'NR's "Welcome to the Jungle", right when Appetite for Destruction first came out (it was probably the "Fresh Metal" for that week). The next day I ran out and bought the album. Actually, the show introduced me to a bunch of new bands.

Sorry, can't help you out with any of your questions, though.
Old 07-30-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember it Muh Mu Muh Metalshop ...

I used to listen to that show...great memories.
Old 12-20-07, 01:42 PM

I remember them too...................I taped a few of the shows which I transferred to CDR's. I'm wondering if these are available on CD commercially. That would be incredible.......................My favorite show from that time period.
Old 12-20-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup! Used to listen all the time.
Old 12-20-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I had that album Piledriver- Metal Inqusition. It was ok, not great though.

Grim Reaper's cd- Rock You to Hell is incredible. I've been trying to find it on cd but I think it's out of print.
Old 12-20-07, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Yep, I remember it well.

http://www.charliekendall.com/
Old 12-21-07, 09:10 AM

I remember it well too. I listened to it countless times on my local Rock station.

Last edited by Tenacious D; 12-21-07 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-21-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts
Hell yeah....I think it was on WNEW out of NY, when I was in high school in NJ.

If memory serves, it was a Sunday night ritual.
Old 12-21-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
I don't know which show came first, but 101.5 KGB in San Diego started a Metal Shop program back in March of 1983 - and it was even better than the nationally syndicated show.

I actually modeled my own internet show on the KGB Metal Shop (and called it Erik's Metal Shop as a tribute to Ron Garrett, Pat Martin, and Bryan Schock - the hosts of the show over the years).

I did get to listen to the national show a few times, and it was pretty darned good, but the local KGB show just had more personality and was more fun to listen to.
Old 12-21-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah! Very much remember tuning into that show every Thursday night when it got syndicated to our area back in '84. My friends and I would all gather together to listen each week. Back then, in the still early days of MTV and no computers and internet, something like that was an "event". It was our first introduction to a lot of great bands.
Old 01-14-08, 11:54 PM

Wow I remember this, I'd love to get a copy of any of these shows on CD or MP3, I have tons of Rare stuff for trade.
Old 01-15-08, 08:55 AM

Me and a friend were just talking about this a few months back.I'm not sure if it was called Metal Shop but it sounds like the same thing.It used to air here on C-Fox in Vancouver every sunday night back in the early 80's and they used to play a lot of rare live recordings of metal bands.Two that i recall having taped were AC/DC (which does appear on the Bonfire box set as Live From The Atlantic Studios)and a live recording of Krokus which was one of the best things ever.I've never been able to track down the Krokus recording but remeber it opening with Heatstrokes and including Rock City,Bedside Radio,Long Stick and a few others.I don't recall anything off Headhunter so i'm sure it was a One Vice At A Time tour.
Can anyone help me with this or tell me if this was the same radio show?
Old 01-15-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Leather Face
Me and a friend were just talking about this a few months back.I'm not sure if it was called Metal Shop but it sounds like the same thing.It used to air here on C-Fox in Vancouver every sunday night back in the early 80's and they used to play a lot of rare live recordings of metal bands.Two that i recall having taped were AC/DC (which does appear on the Bonfire box set as Live From The Atlantic Studios)and a live recording of Krokus which was one of the best things ever.I've never been able to track down the Krokus recording but remeber it opening with Heatstrokes and including Rock City,Bedside Radio,Long Stick and a few others.I don't recall anything off Headhunter so i'm sure it was a One Vice At A Time tour.
Can anyone help me with this or tell me if this was the same radio show?
Probably not the same show.
Old 01-16-08, 06:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I actually modeled my own internet show on the KGB Metal Shop (and called it Erik's Metal Shop as a tribute to Ron Garrett, Pat Martin, and Bryan Schock - the hosts of the show over the years).
I opened this thread thinking it'd be about your show!
Old 01-16-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
I opened this thread thinking it'd be about your show!
Thanks! I wish I still had time to do the show, but I haven't done it for a year. Old archived shows are still up at hitekradio.com, but that's it. It was fun, but once I moved and found myself with 3 hours of commuting daily I didn't have the time or energy to put into putting the show together on a regular basis.

Now if I had gotten paid more than some free CD's, well....

I'm surprised, though, that none of the San Diego contingent on DVD Talk has commented on the 101.5 KGB Metal Shop show (which, I believe, pre-dated the nationally syndicated show).
Old 01-26-08, 10:08 PM

Give this radio show a try. It sounds alot like the old Metalshop show.

http://www.youtube.com/ragingmetalarchives
Old 01-27-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Found an episode here. Pretty sure I heard this back in the day heh.

http://www.rightsideout.net/MetalSho...oads/index.htm
Old 11-16-08, 07:40 PM

Hell ya! every Sunday I listened to Metal Shop! The show TURBOROBB was listening to when he posted, I remember listening to that show like it was yesterday. That's the first time I heard the band Piledriver. The only thing I have left on cass. tape from them days is the press release voice overed by Charlie Kendall of when Cliff Burton was killed in '86. I used to tape every show but lost them all over the years except the tape with that small clip about Cliff. I love the chainsaw guitar sound they used for the intro by the band Steeler.. Malmsteen on guitar. Anyway I miss the hell out of them days and i'm still as much into metal today as I was back then, mostly oldschool metal... PILEDRIVER, POSSESSED, KREATOR, SLAYER, ONSLAUGHT, EXCITER, DEATH, VENOM, BATHORY and stuff like, DEMOLITION HAMMER, SUFFOCATION, DEICIDE, CANNIBAL CORPSE, GRAVE, MARDUK... Anyway i'm just glad to see some of us still remember the METAL SHOP!!!!
Old 01-20-09, 09:17 AM

Metal Shop RULED back in the day!

I've been dicking around for a while now on here, registering and checking shit out, and I forget why I even Googled "Metal Shop", but it sent me here. That was such a great show. I forget what channel it was on here in Cleveland (probably WRQK, GoodRock 107 in Canton), but I listened to it on KKRX, 98.1 FM in Lawton, OK when I was in the Army. Like the bro "cultshock" above, that's where I heard "Welcome to the Jungle" for the first time, was blown away by it, and immediately went out and bought the record, and played it TO DEATH. (Then came the summer of '88, and "Sweet Child O' Mine" every 2 minutes, which kinda killed GNR for me for a while)

My point is, Metal Shop opened a lot of doors to us metalheads, who loved metal ANYHOW, but exposed us to newer bands that we may not have found on our own.

Remember Z-Rock? (WCZR 107.3 in Cleveland, KZRK 94.5 Dallas) I guess that's another thread, but remember these DJ's? Rockin' Randy Davis, Wild Bill Scott, Boobie Bondage, Killer Kilpatrick, Shelly Steele, Tracy Barnes, Madd Maxx Hammer? Fuck Pop Music. METAL RULES!!
Old 01-22-09, 03:48 PM

Re: Metal Shop : 80's metal radio show

I loved this show, and have been looking for a song I heard on there for years now. It was about looking for heaven through the bottom of a glass (it is not by whiskeytown, or any of the other groups google brings up. Anyone have any idea who it might have been by?
Old 01-23-09, 04:28 AM

growing up here in san diego.. I would listen to it on kgb with my boom box and and a blank tape ready to record.. bryan shock introduced me to many great bands.. i would look forward to his show.
Old 06-15-09, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jjbrown19
I loved this show, and have been looking for a song I heard on there for years now. It was about looking for heaven through the bottom of a glass (it is not by whiskeytown, or any of the other groups google brings up. Anyone have any idea who it might have been by?

Sounds to me like you could be thinking about Helix's "Long Way to Heaven". I know Metal Shop is where I first heard it!

What a great show that was, with ole Charlie Kendall. Used to listen to it every Sunday night on WRNO (rock of New Orleans) back in the mid-80's. Man that was some good music.

Cheers!