Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

[CORRECTED] PS3 Saturday Walmart deal: $499 for the 80GB model + 15 FREE MOVIES

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-22-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-22-07, 11:44 PM
Banned

So you already know you're gonna get 3 shit titles out of the 10....
Old 11-23-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I stand corrected. I read the fine print on the ad and it does say 10 movies + 5 free by mail. My mistake...sorry all!
Old 11-23-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
This is an incredible deal. I paid $599 for my PS3 release week and got nothing extra with it. 15 Blu-rays extra is a very nice bonus for anyone looking to jump into Blu-ray with the most full featured player on the BD side. And this is not even including the fact that it plays games.
Old 11-23-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
I have read the alleged details of this deal on a lot of different forums and I don't think that this means you HAVE to get those three "shit" titles. The ad is vague but I read that they are among the titles you "may" choose. Doesn't mean you have to select those.
Old 11-23-07, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, I haven't seen an individual BD (or HD DVD for that matter) at WM for more than $30. Obviously this wouldn't include boxed sets, but any movie should qualify.
Old 11-23-07, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What worries me is the madhouse scene of dozens of people pushing and grabbing at the very limited supply of Blu-Ray discs at my local Wallymart in anticipation of scoring one of the PS3s on sale. If Walmart was smart about it, they would have a closed area with Blu-Ray discs (or even behind the register) and only allow those who managed to purchase a sale PS3 into that area. Even then you might end up having to buy multiple copies of a crap movie because that was all that was left.

So I'm on the fence about making a go of it Saturday morning, although for sheer entertainment value it might be worth a trip.
Old 11-23-07, 05:33 AM

I'm still debating. I bought AN 80 GIG 3 days ago. Does anyone think if i bring in my receipt, they'll honor it?
Old 11-23-07, 05:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
For basically $299 ($399 up front however) you can get a 40gig PS3 from sonystyle.com, with Spiderman 3 bluray, and an extra wireless controller (provided you apply and get approved for their sony visa card, which will ultimately give you $100 back on your next purchase)
Old 11-23-07, 06:35 AM

I was just @ my local walmart and they are clueless. So I'm beginning to think this may not happen. It's a crazy deal 10 disks. These releases go for $30 a piece i'd love to jump on it but the fact that no one knows about it is just odd. I'm going to call another walmart and get another opinion.
Old 11-23-07, 07:27 AM

I just got off the phone and the manager confirmed it so we're good to go! 10 dvd's i forgot to ask him the time but i'll go @ 8 like stated in the ad. They're even honoring the ps3 i bought 3 days ago so in the end this system will have cost me $200.
Old 11-23-07, 07:46 AM

For me new releases aren't worth $30. $15-20 is my range and that's for a title I really want. Otherwise I can rent for $5 and wait to own it later. I'm not convinced I'll get 10 I want, but 10*$15 is $150, so a $350 ps3. There's nothing to the 80gb that makes it worth more to me than the 40gb, so the $299 sonstyle ps3 is still a better deal for me. I'll check WalMart for $15 titles today. I'll watch out for 2 for 1s. Eventually I think I can beat those 10 titles using $200 and avoid any scramble in the early AM.

But if you luck out and get some good titles, this is still a good deal.

And I have no idea why the thread title is allowed to continue. The thread starts with 2 posts that are either poor in reading comprehension or just plain biased.
Old 11-23-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Looks like a great deal to me!
Old 11-23-07, 10:50 AM

Would be a great deal except for the fact that every Wal-Mart I've ever been in has a grand total of maybe 25 BR titles. The selection to choose from is crappo muy grande.
Old 11-23-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by dharding
Would be a great deal except for the fact that every Wal-Mart I've ever been in has a grand total of maybe 25 BR titles. The selection to choose from is crappo muy grande.
Better than the selection of HD-DVDs if mine is any indication.

As for this deal, it's great but I've spent far too much between HD-DVD players and the DD/DVDP's 20% off sale.
Old 11-23-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by pricdews
And I have no idea why the thread title is allowed to continue. The thread starts with 2 posts that are either poor in reading comprehension or just plain biased.
Biased? They were criticizing the movies themselves, not bashing the format.
Old 11-23-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great way to start a BD collection right off the bat. I really envy new adopters to BD as they are getting one hell of a deal.
Old 11-23-07, 11:26 AM

Ya I'm totally jumping on it.
Old 11-23-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mike2
I just got off the phone and the manager confirmed it so we're good to go! 10 dvd's i forgot to ask him the time but i'll go @ 8 like stated in the ad. They're even honoring the ps3 i bought 3 days ago so in the end this system will have cost me $200.
As always with WM, YMMV... but I'd make sure to be there quite a bit earlier than 8. I got an A2 for a gift last 'secret sale' & showed up at 7:45... was about the 20th person in line outside the video department. Unlike that sale, I haven't heard of any TV advertising this week, but IMO this deal crushes the A2 deal (not price-wise, but most definitely value-wise)... add in the gamer crowd, & I think there will be high demand. As far as BD selection: if it's like the A2 sale, there will be a table put out & filled with BD titles.
Old 11-23-07, 01:25 PM

We'll see what happens. I'll definitely get there early. I'm also not sure how many 80 gig's they got in the back so that can determine how many people will show up as well.
Old 11-23-07, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Biased? They were criticizing the movies themselves, not bashing the format.
No. The title of the thread includes "no deal at all". Since when do we have opinion threads with titles like that? Clearly there are free movies. It's a deal. Maybe a bad deal, but a deal nonetheless.

That first post was followed by a post that was factually incorrect. Those 3 titles in the ad are not mandatory. The poster later realized his mistake.

This forum is unbelievable sometimes.
Old 11-23-07, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer99
As always with WM, YMMV... but I'd make sure to be there quite a bit earlier than 8. I got an A2 for a gift last 'secret sale' & showed up at 7:45... was about the 20th person in line outside the video department. Unlike that sale, I haven't heard of any TV advertising this week, but IMO this deal crushes the A2 deal (not price-wise, but most definitely value-wise)... add in the gamer crowd, & I think there will be high demand. As far as BD selection: if it's like the A2 sale, there will be a table put out & filled with BD titles.
That's a good plan. Just FYI, I stopped by a few Wal Marts this Black Friday morning to check some sales out, and they had tons of Blu-ray titles and discs (I didn't see any HD-DVDs for some reason). If your store is anything like these stores, there should be a good selection to choose from.
Old 11-23-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pricdews
No. The title of the thread includes "no deal at all". Since when do we have opinion threads with titles like that? Clearly there are free movies. It's a deal. Maybe a bad deal, but a deal nonetheless.

That first post was followed by a post that was factually incorrect. Those 3 titles in the ad are not mandatory. The poster later realized his mistake.

This forum is unbelievable sometimes.
So the guy corrected his mistake, and discussion continued. "Unbelievable," indeed.

FWIW, my Walmart (Riverhead, NY) had a massive HDM display with at least 40 titles from both formats. The electronics section was a mad house, and that particular display was being dutifully ignored. The $29 Magnavox DVD players were flying around like leaves.
Old 11-23-07, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
So the guy corrected his mistake, and discussion continued. "Unbelievable," indeed.

FWIW, my Walmart (Riverhead, NY) had a massive HDM display with at least 40 titles from both formats. The electronics section was a mad house, and that particular display was being dutifully ignored. The $29 Magnavox DVD players were flying around like leaves.
I'd bet a thread about an HD-DVD sale wouldn't still be sitting here with 2 such posts leading it off. After the correction, what was the point of this thread remaining?
Old 11-23-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cmon guys, let's leave the format bickering out of this. Just appreciate today as a day of deals from both sides.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.