Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which for standard DVDs - A3 (HD-DVD) or PS3 (BR)?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won a PS3 at work today. Which is better to view standard DVDs on? Is there any difference?
Old 11-19-07, 03:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
I have both and honestly, it makes no difference. I've seen both good and bad, just depends on the DVD you're watching. I think they both superior DVD upconverting machines. I'm sure many others opinion will differ. But i say since you have both (damn, i wish I won my PS3), I say just grab a good DVD and play a few minutes on both and let your eyes make the decision.
Old 11-19-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
PS3. I'm not saying the difference is huge, but the PS3 is the better upscaler in my experience with the latest firmware.
Old 11-19-07, 04:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
A3 to me is a better up converter and it does not have that weird HDCP "handshake" issue that my PS3 has with my TV. Still trying to get rid of that odd "snow and pop" thing that happens.

If you have an HD DVD Combo disc and the same movie on DVD also, do a A/B test. I did that between a few of my Combo HD DVD titles and the normal DVD (same edition of the movie) and the A3 looked a bit sharper.
Old 11-19-07, 04:58 PM

I started watching Seinfeld Season 9 on my new A3 over the weekend and to me, it looked terrible. Given, Seinfeld isn't ideal source material, but I didn't think it looked very good at all. I then popped it in my PS3 and it looked much, much better. For HD content, I'd pretty much call it a draw between the A3 and PS3, but for SD content, I say PS3 hands down.
Old 11-19-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know about quality, but if it's comparable I'd use the HD DVD player. It will be cheaper to eventually replace when it's worn out, and using it for DVD balances the disc drive usage better (since I also use the PS3 for games).
Old 11-19-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
I have both and honestly, it makes no difference. I've seen both good and bad, just depends on the DVD you're watching. I think they [are] both superior DVD upconverting machines. I'm sure many others opinion will differ. But i say since you have both (damn, i wish I won my PS3), I say just grab a good DVD and play a few minutes on both and let your eyes make the decision.
Bolded for emphasis.

Oh, and congrats abrg923 on winning a PS3. If you don't have Ratatouille already, I highly recommend it on Blu-ray. Currently, that's my favorite Blu-ray movie.
Old 11-19-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have any Blu-Rays yet, but the primary thing my wife wants are the Disney movies in BR, so Ratatouille will be one of my first purchases.