Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Steelbooks - what's the big deal?

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 11-16-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one of these - The Departed. What's the big deal about these? To me, the packaging isn't anything impressive at all. Is there something I'm not quite seeing here? People seem to go crazy for these things.
Old 11-16-07, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like them, but I don't run out and buy titles I'm not incredibly interested in, or re-buy too many titles I already have (exception: Texas Chainsaw Massacre) just because they're steelbooks. I like 'em, but I hope they don't get scratched on the outside evevtually, just sitting on the shelf.
Old 11-16-07, 09:42 PM

i know in certain cases, the steelbooks are exclusive/limited, which definitely ups their appeal by that fact alone.

for me, the steelbooks are cool because they're something different, and it feels like perhaps the studios are putting a bit more effort into a dvd release. in these days when all you get is an amaray case, an ad for an insert, and (more often than not) a gray-faced dvd or no disc artwork at all, paying $15-20 on release day often leads to a "that's it?" kinda feeling. as a dvd collector, packaging/design/presentation is just as important to me as the content that's on the disc. i could easily download/burn a copy of a dvd for free, but i don't. i should be at least rewarded with a dvd set that looks like SOME time and effort went into it.

granted, the abundance of steelbooks now is kinda killing the trend a bit. and a lot of times, the artwork i've seen for the futureshop steelbooks is kinda bland (see: the jungle book, fantastic four: ROTSS). in the past, the steelbook artwork has been WAY better than the conventional versions, the departed being one of them. that's the main reason i initially purchased the departed steelbook, having never heard of a "steelbook" before or knowing what a phenomenon it would become. but yea, pretty much every new movie gets a steelbook at future shop. oversaturation = blah.
Old 11-16-07, 10:21 PM

steelbooks are meh to me. only one i have is robocop.
Old 11-16-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
shyguy1083 makes some good points. It's all in the packaging, and studios are finally getting the hint we will pay more if the packaging is solid and some intellect went into making it which makes it unique from a typical release. And thats the big difference. It's not typical packaging which is like other releases.
Old 11-16-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
To me, the packaging isn't anything impressive at all. Is there something I'm not quite seeing here?
To me, it is. Different strokes for different folks. Stop worrying about what other people enjoy.
Old 11-16-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow...could you be any more rude? I'm simply asking what makes them so appealing...no need for comments like that.

Interested to see the replies thus far.
Old 11-16-07, 11:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shyguy1083
i know in certain cases, the steelbooks are exclusive/limited, which definitely ups their appeal by that fact alone.

for me, the steelbooks are cool because they're something different, and it feels like perhaps the studios are putting a bit more effort into a dvd release. in these days when all you get is an amaray case, an ad for an insert, and (more often than not) a gray-faced dvd or no disc artwork at all, paying $15-20 on release day often leads to a "that's it?" kinda feeling. as a dvd collector, packaging/design/presentation is just as important to me as the content that's on the disc. i could easily download/burn a copy of a dvd for free, but i don't. i should be at least rewarded with a dvd set that looks like SOME time and effort went into it.

granted, the abundance of steelbooks now is kinda killing the trend a bit. and a lot of times, the artwork i've seen for the futureshop steelbooks is kinda bland (see: the jungle book, fantastic four: ROTSS). in the past, the steelbook artwork has been WAY better than the conventional versions, the departed being one of them. that's the main reason i initially purchased the departed steelbook, having never heard of a "steelbook" before or knowing what a phenomenon it would become. but yea, pretty much every new movie gets a steelbook at future shop. oversaturation = blah.
My thoughts exactly! Personally i love steelbooks but yeah i won't re-buy something i already own only because it's now in steelbook form (i'm looking at you Die Hard trilogy!). I'm a collector of pretty and nice packaging and steelbooks are pretty nice! Of course i won't buy a steelbook of a movie i don't like (for example Fantastic 4 2).

But like shyguy said steelbooks are becoming a little too common now, mostly with futureshop here in Canada so it takes away the 'specialness' of steelbooks. But i still love em and will continue to buy them over the normal editions of a movie i'm going to buy anyways.
Old 11-16-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uncle-frank
steelbooks are meh to me. only one i have is robocop.

Exactly. That's the only one I have. I'll buy one if that's the only way it's packaged and I want that particular title. Other than that I'll save a few bucks and stay with the keepcase version.
Old 11-16-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a book. Made of steel. What else do you need to know?
Old 11-16-07, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
I've got one of these - The Departed. What's the big deal about these? To me, the packaging isn't anything impressive at all. Is there something I'm not quite seeing here? People seem to go crazy for these things.
I think its not a big deal at all given that the main example you are referring too (the Departed Steelbook) was released 9 months ago. Oh,not unless you just got it or bought it right now? or this is the very first time you touched, feel or saw in person an opened steelbook?

If you are specific to the Departed steelbook, you can give your further thoughts or questions at this thread: The Departed - 2/13/07

Or if your main concern are seeking further answers about steelbooks you can refer to these threads found here in DVDTalk

Definitive List of DVD's with "Steelbook" cases?

Steelbooks

steelbook pictures

Steel Question

If you are still not contented and you want an answer from the manufacturer or designer of steelbook itself go to their website:

www.steelbook.com

And for the other members, some of your responses were basically shared on the threads mentioned above, check it out.
Old 11-17-07, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
i have the steelbook for terminator 2. Thought it was preety impressive design:

Old 11-17-07, 03:19 AM

I'd be more likely to buy them if they didn't end up scratched on the store shelves. I have a few and the printed design is worn away near the corners. Sure, the defects are only 5 mm long at most but I'm picky about my DVDs' packaging.
Old 11-17-07, 04:24 AM

Sometimes you just get tired of amarays and snap cases, you get tired of humdrum. So anything else is great - steelbooks, digipacks, tin boxes and special cases... Anything.
Old 11-17-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
It's a book. Made of steel. What else do you need to know?
QFE. Who doesn't want steel books when given the chance?
Old 11-17-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by izatright
QFE. Who doesn't want steel books when given the chance?
If it's the same price, I might buy one, but I don't see myself paying extra for a box.
Old 11-17-07, 09:31 AM

They're neat! That's why we love them.
Old 11-17-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I like the steelbook design. Saw the ad for the Departed steelbook, and got it. Liked the transformers steelbooks, so i got those. When looking at the options for Die Hard 4, knew I wanted the unrated. I already own the 4 star collection of the first 3, so I wasnt going to get the boxset, so I decided to get the steelbook. Basically I only buy steelbooks of movies I dont already own, that I would have gotten anyway regardless of whether there was a steelbook available or not.. They are pretty cool, but I really cant justify rebuying something I already own just for a different package.
Old 11-17-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they are ugly and pointless.
Old 11-17-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
i have the steelbook for terminator 2. Thought it was preety impressive design:

That's not a steelbook, it's simply a metal wraparound.
Old 11-17-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
they are ugly and pointless.
Well, that's just like, your opinion man [/lebowski]. For example, the Appleseed steelbook was really well-designed, The Departed had a simple and classy cover, and all steelbooks are just as "pointless" as any other type of alternative case, however, they're a whole lot durable than digipaks and other cardboard cases, and they're the exact same size as the standard keepcase so they don't look out of place on the shelf sitting next to everything else.

Last edited by canaryfarmer; 11-17-07 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Well, that's just like, your opinion man. For example, the Appleseed steelbook was really well-designed, The Departed had a simple and classy cover, and all steelbooks are just as "pointless" as any other type of alternative case, however, they're a whole lot durable than digipaks and other cardboard cases, and they're the exact same size as the standard keepcase so they don't look out of place on the shelf sitting next to everything else.

Of course its my opinion..
Old 11-17-07, 10:56 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
i just like that in case of a fire they might be the only dvd's salvaged!
Old 11-17-07, 11:08 AM

I dislike them precisely because they are different. They are not interchangeable with easily bought 15cent amaray cases, so if it gets damaged, you are stuck. With a regular release, if it gets scratched up, you can usually replace the amaray case and you are as good as new.

Similarly, if I ever move to a compact storage system that dumps the cases and just keeps the discs and the paper parts, the steelbooks won't be able to fit in with all the other titles.
Old 11-17-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're just cool, and Superman would like them...being that he's the Man of Steel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.