Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ridicule - Best Version

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Ridicule - Best Version

Old 11-03-07, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ridicule - Best Version

I need to pick up a copy of Ridicule, which I want to show to my Brit Lit survey class so they can increase their understanding of the cultural landscape in the 18th century.

I see that the Region 1 version is fullscreen only. Amazon.co.uk has an anamorphic version for 7.97GBP. Can anyone speak to the quality of this transfer? Is there a better one that is English-friendly?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 11-03-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your note above is incorrect. The Miramax R1 disc is not full screen, it is in the proper aspect ratio and of very good quality. The SE French disc is the one to get if you don't need English subtitles otherwise I would recommend that you get the R1-US disc. The R2 is essentially of the same caliber.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-03-07, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Your note above is incorrect. The Miramax R1 disc is not full screen, it is in the proper aspect ratio and of very good quality. The SE French disc is the one to get if you don't need English subtitles otherwise I would recommend that you get the R1-US disc. The R2 is essentially of the same caliber.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Really? DeepDiscount lists it as fullscreen. I was going to buy it there, as the 20% off sale should be soon enough for it to arrive in time to show it in class.

I will need the English subtitles, since most of students don't understand much French.
Old 11-04-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ron G
Really? DeepDiscount lists it as fullscreen.
Well, they are wrong...Feel free to ignore what I have written but I stand by my previous post. I pretty much own everything Leconte has done so I won't come in here and play with you

By the way the English subs on the Miramax disc are somewhat problematic as they don't exactly depict what is spoken by the main protagonists. If not fluent in French however a lot of the literary references will simply be a non-issue.

Regardless, as I mentioned above Ridicule is presented in the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, enhanced for widescreen TVs, progressive, etc.

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Also, since you are planning to show this to your class keep in mind that the penis-shot is all in tact on the R1 and there are no cuts with this specific scene.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-04-07 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Well, they are wrong...Feel free to ignore what I have written but I stand by my previous post. I pretty much own everything Leconte has done so I won't come in here and play with you

By the way the English subs on the Miramax disc are somewhat problematic as they don't exactly depict what is spoken by the main protagonists. If not fluent in French however a lot of the literary references will simply be a non-issue.

Regardless, as I mentioned above Ridicule is presented in the original aspect ratio of 2.35:1, enhanced for widescreen TVs, progressive, etc.

Ok, Ciao,
Pro-B

ps
Also, since you are planning to show this to your class keep in mind that the penis-shot is all in tact on the R1 and there are no cuts with this specific scene.
Oh, I trust your word, and I was hoping you'd be one of the people to reply, since you know your foreign films on DVD so well.

Is the Miramax version the only one that's been released to DVD? I just want to be sure DeepDiscount isn't selling some older transfer. If so, I have the film on LD and there are still a couple of classrooms with LD players in them. Whether they actually work is another matter . . .

As for the penis shot, they're college students, so I'm going to assume they can handle seeing a penis.

Are the subs better on the UK version, do you know?
Old 11-04-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ron G
Is the Miramax version the only one that's been released to DVD? I just want to be sure DeepDiscount isn't selling some older transfer.
There has been only one release for the US market by Miramax. Hence, it is a certainty that if you order this film from DDD you shall receive the disc I described above.

As to the British disc, they copied the old French disc, which was not that bad. I don't own the disc in my collection anymore but there were indeed some notable differences in the translation. This being said, the newer 2DVD Special Edition in France offers a sightly better version of the film (pic quality) with plenty of extras but I don't believe it will work for you since it is not English-friendly.

Hope this helps,

Pro-B