Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB Power Pros - Wii

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MLB Power Pros - Wii

Has anyone read or seen anything about this game? It is supposed to be released this week. It looks like it could be really interesting with the Wii controls... like a souped up, baseball-geekier version of Wii Sports Baseball. The series is hugely successful in Japan and by looking at the screenshots on Gamespot, it's clear that it'll likely never go beyond a niche title here.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/j...ml?sid=6178496

"Power Pros' season mode has an absolutely staggering amount of details when it comes to team management. Just as you'd expect from a more serious baseball sim, season mode in Power Pros will let you check and change your daily rosters, keep up with trade and free agent acquisitions, and give you access to detailed team balance sheets. Moreover, there's a practice mode that will give you the chance to keep your players improving in nearly every aspect of their game. Think Derrek Lee needs more work on his running stamina or that Barry Zito needs to work on his control on the mound? Put them to work in practice and watch as their skills improve. You can even convert players to different positions and add pitches to your bullpen's arsenal."

You can also import your Miis to create an entire team based on your creations. This is the type of thing I hoped we'd see more frequently for the Wii. The description had me intrigued to the point I was ready to go partake of a $40 absolutely blind buy should I find it in stores this week. I'm also a sucker for anything that remotely reminds me of Baseball Stars -- so that would explain some of my interest.

I hope 2K gave this game some attention.
Old 10-02-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shane from 1Up Yours has had a lot of good things to say about this... and he even thinks the Wii version is the one to own.
Old 10-02-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody seen this in stores yet?
Old 10-02-07, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked it up from Best Buy yesterday.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to play later.
Old 10-03-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I played this game (old Import version) with my friend & i likes it. Finally, it reach US & i can't wait to get it.
Old 10-03-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I'll stop over at Best Buy on my way home. I've got a bunch of RZ certificates I can use.
Old 10-03-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the Japanese 'big head" baseball games.. well, I did back in the NES/SNES days. My friend and I still occasionally play games of Super Famista 5 on the SNES.. I was disappointed when the Famista team was brought on to make Mario baseball and the game ended up being so slow paced.
Old 10-03-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody get some time to play this tonight?
Old 10-03-07, 10:50 PM

Had a chance to play for about 15min. Mind you I haven't read the manual, it was pretty easy to just pick up and play. From my initial impressions, you can only use wii sports controls(remote to swing/pitch) for the homerun derby and I think exhibition games. For full seasons, it's either remote/nunchuk or classic controller.

Also, I wasn't able to figure out how to make a custom team using created miis, but there was an option for a random set of miis from your wii/remote to form a team. It was pretty cool having my team of miis vs the Yankees.

I'm still a little iffy about keeping this, I was hoping for full out wiimote controls for everything. If anything, something that would make Wii Sports baseball seem like a demo. Again though, I haven't really gone through all the options or read the manual, so there may be some things I'm missing that would secure a keeper, for me anyway.
Old 10-04-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Gamespot preview seemed to imply that full wiimote controls were possible but it wasn't particularly clear about it. Without those controls, we've just got another half-assed port. And that would be a bummer. Do let us know if you figure things out. I'll probably wait until I hear more about the controls.

Despite the lack of full Wii controls the chatter on the Gamespot forum is pretty positive...

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/j...ag=tabs;forums

Edit: full Wii controls are not available in anything other than exhibition and HR Derby as mentioned... but few people seem to care. Many have called it the deepest baseball game available as far as stats and season/career modes. I'm just getting the thing.

Last edited by jdpatri; 10-04-07 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-04-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks if it's not been ported well, but it's still a Power Pros game in the US.. and I'm still interested, I've never gotten to try Konami's "big head" baseball games as I've always been a fan of Namco's stuff. This will probably go into my GameFly queue once I'm done with MySims.
Old 10-05-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I caved after reading the gamer reviews. I didn't get a chance to play but after reading the manual, I'm pretty confident this is the closest thing to Baseball Stars you're likely to find. I don't think the lack of full Wiimote controls are going to be an issue... just because it reduces the game to timing rather than timing and aim. I hope the game gets enough support even if it's only worthy of a 6/10 or 7/10 because decent sales are the only way we're going to get more of these types of games brought over.
Old 10-05-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, 2k & Konami should take extra times to make it full WII control but they're too rush to put the game out. Kinda $uck ... maybe, i get PS2 version instead.
Old 10-09-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone is still interested... IGN put up their review today.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/825/825828p1.html

And for what its worth, I'm really enjoying the game.
Old 10-09-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm I may have to pick this up. I've been searching for a great baseball game ever since MVP Baseball fell apart.
Old 10-09-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, I had one of the Power Pro games for N64 on import, and I loved that game. I don't really see the comparison to Baseball Stars, but I really liked the Power Pro game. I will probably pick this one up once it hits $20.
Old 10-09-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's mostly just because the game has some RPG aspects, like Baseball Stars. I agree it certainly has nothing to do with gameplay.
Old 10-09-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Jtnguyen12
Well, 2k & Konami should take extra times to make it full WII control but they're too rush to put the game out. Kinda $uck ... maybe, i get PS2 version instead.
Well, even rushing it out, they couldn't get it out until the MLB playoffs started? A little late for a baseball game... I'll probably pick it up when it gets a pricedrop after the season ends.
Old 10-10-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really think this game is meant for anyone whose play cycles revolve around the baseball season. They probably just wanted to get it out in the general vicinity. I don't think this game was rushed -- this game is HUUUGE -- you'll never reach the end of the customization options. It is what it is... a Japanese port to test the American market. This was destined to be nothing more than a niche title.

But that said, I have something to admit.

Me <---- MLB Power Pro "Success" Mode addict.

It's like a Japanese text-based RPG about baseball mixed with the quirky fun of Animal Crossing. I don't know how else to describe it. I played this thing for three-hours straight last night without interrupting. That hasn't happened since I first opened Metroid Prime. And this isn't even, technically, the main gameplay mode.

If you're at all interested by the description of this game, get it. I don't think its ever going to drop in price; its likely to just disappear before that happens.
Old 10-25-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I rented this from Gamefly, and let me say it is awesome. Very fun. I am definitely keeping it. The stadiums are very detailed, even on the Wii. The amount of customization is incredible.

I am on vacation right now and I can't wait to get back home to play some more
Old 10-25-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, this sounds great. I wish Gamefly wasn't so horrifyingly slow so I could try it myself.
Old 10-25-07, 12:45 PM

Although graphics hounds may have a tough time getting past the super-deformed characters, this game is great. There are a TON of stats, the players have their own styles (Watch Kevin Youkilis' batting stance, for example), the Success Mode is an interesting take on the usual Create-A-Player mode, and the game is fun to play... simple yet effective.
Old 10-25-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I got this and really like it.

Hitting seems a little too easy but that's OK.

Love the player characteristics.

Jim Thome has his usual "bat-pointing" thing as he gets ready. Cool stuff. The parks look great too.
Old 11-25-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DamingR
FWIW, I had one of the Power Pro games for N64 on import, and I loved that game. I don't really see the comparison to Baseball Stars, but I really liked the Power Pro game. I will probably pick this one up once it hits $20.
Originally Posted by jdpatri
If you're at all interested by the description of this game, get it. I don't think its ever going to drop in price; its likely to just disappear before that happens.

Now it's down to $20

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1186007073686
Old 11-25-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
No brainer at that price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.