Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

BUTTMUNKER'S BACK, ALRIGHT! oh, and so are THE BACKSTREET BOYS!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-16-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the boys from the backstreet have reunited, and, well, they're back.

Better than ever? Dunno. Personally - between me and twenty thousand you's - I loved I Want It That Way. It was one cleanly produced, catchy tune, and it was everywhere in the summer of 1999. At the public pool I went to, it was played about four times a day - it was like the Anthem of the Summer. Even that commercial on M-TV featured their song - the hillbilly family who were in their country shack, were tapping their feet to the song. Totally hysterical.

I honestly did not care for any of their other hits. I Want It That Way was a "one-shot" for me, in regards to that type of music. N'Sync had two songs I digged, too, but I'm going to talk about it.

They're back. Should we give a crap?
Old 09-16-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice to see these guys didn't let ego get in the way of them as a functioning unit. As opposed to Justin Timberlake letting four other guys become hasbeens (ok, Joey is now a game show host, and Lance is famous for being out of the closet, but Chris and JC are definately over) because of his ego
Old 09-16-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by nothingfails
nice to see these guys didn't let ego get in the way of them as a functioning unit. As opposed to Justin Timberlake letting four other guys become hasbeens (ok, Joey is now a game show host, and Lance is famous for being out of the closet, but Chris and JC are definately over) because of his ego
I'm sure they are really hurting, what with the millions the band made during their years of success.
Old 09-16-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I'm sure they are really hurting, what with the millions the band made during their years of success.
well, Chris Kirkpatrick did do the VH1 reality show ManBand where he was crying about how he misses the fame and everything. I saw him and Jeff Timmons from 98 Degrees (Nick Lachey's former group) on a talk show promoting the reality series and when they kept talking about how they hate the doors that are slammed in their faces now, I wanted the interviewer to point blank ask them "do you resent Justin Timberlake/Nick Lachey for ditching you like you didn't exist the moment he realized he can sell albums on his own?" I would've loved to see the answer, because I'm sure there is some strong resentment that Chris can't even get people to return his calls, while his former boybandmate is one of the biggest superstars in music right now, and everyone returns his calls.
Old 09-16-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
You make it sound like it's Justin Timberlake's fault for becoming famous/not taking the other guys with him.
Old 09-16-07, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
well, Chris Kirkpatrick did do the VH1 reality show ManBand where he was crying about how he misses the fame and everything. I saw him and Jeff Timmons from 98 Degrees (Nick Lachey's former group) on a talk show promoting the reality series and when they kept talking about how they hate the doors that are slammed in their faces now, I wanted the interviewer to point blank ask them "do you resent Justin Timberlake/Nick Lachey for ditching you like you didn't exist the moment he realized he can sell albums on his own?" I would've loved to see the answer, because I'm sure there is some strong resentment that Chris can't even get people to return his calls, while his former boybandmate is one of the biggest superstars in music right now, and everyone returns his calls.
No, I'm sorry, it's not the fault of the people who went on to become famous. It's their own fault for joining a purposefully disposable boy band. Justin Timberlake was lucky to be able to make it on his own. He didn't do it to spite the others. When you're in a group like that, one that's only made to last two or three years, you take whatever you can get and run. If Kirkpatrick was too stupid to realize that, and thought that the band would be BFF, then he deserves to have doors slammed in his face.

I don't see why you're taking this personally. Boy bands are made as a business venture, not a musical one. Timberlake was savvy enough to use that to his advantage. The others weren't. Do you resent Michael Jackson for the break-up of the Jackson 5, as well?
Old 09-16-07, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
No, I'm sorry, it's not the fault of the people who went on to become famous. It's their own fault for joining a purposefully disposable boy band. Justin Timberlake was lucky to be able to make it on his own. He didn't do it to spite the others. When you're in a group like that, one that's only made to last two or three years, you take whatever you can get and run. If Kirkpatrick was too stupid to realize that, and thought that the band would be BFF, then he deserves to have doors slammed in his face.

I don't see why you're taking this personally. Boy bands are made as a business venture, not a musical one. Timberlake was savvy enough to use that to his advantage. The others weren't. Do you resent Michael Jackson for the break-up of the Jackson 5, as well?
Michael Jackson stayed with his brothers until well after Thriller. He stayed with them for 15 years and was already well into his solo career before he finally decided he no longer wanted to be under his dad's control anymore. When he left for good, he had paid his dues and he still gave his brothers one major farewell tour AFTER the success of Thriller. Beyonce's debut solo album outsold "Justified" and she still went back to Destiny's Child for one last album and a massive farewell tour for the fans.

Justin swore up and down that the solo album in 2002 was a one-shot deal, but then the album became a hit and all of a sudden, he loved the success on his own that he spat on his former bandmates and quit instead of doing the Michael Jackson and Beyonce thing and going back for one last album/tour with the group that made him famous for starters.

It's one thing when we're discussing a band like The Beatles where all four members had the individual talent that the end of the band wasn't the death of their career, but with N'Sync, the guys were promised at least one more album and then Justin decided if he can do four million on his own, he will not share the stage with four other guys.

I don't want you to get me wrong. Justin is far better as a solo artist in my book than N'Sync ever were, but I do think he could've given the guys a better farewell shakeoff than "I'll be back in N'Sync working on a new album after this album dies off" and then "screw N'Sync, I'm staying solo" six months later. Genesis lasted YEARS into Phil Collins' solo career, he could balance out a solo album and Genesis album every other album. Same goes with Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. Even Gwen Stefani is going back into the studio with No Doubt after two solo albums. They were able to balance out selling their own albums and being in groups, so what's the difference with Justin?
Old 09-16-07, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

The difference is that N*SYNC is a completely artificial packaged product. Genesis, No Doubt, Fleetwood Mac were all honest to goodness bands, where the music was created by the members of the group, instead of dictated to them by managers and songwriters. Also, I'd argue that the solo careers of Phil Collins, Gwen Stefani, Stevie Nicks, and Michael Jackson all sounded different than the work they did with their respective bands, whereas Timberlake's music was the same, only more interesting. Why should he go back and get a portion of the fame, the money, and the attention for people who were hired to sing together, not lifelong friends or brothers in arms?

Again, I don't see why you're so personally bothered by this. Timberlake saw a chance for his career to last longer than 15 minutes, and he took it. More power to him.
Old 09-16-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks they are doing this album with out the help of Kevin Richardson (tall, thick eye browed dark hair one). It seems he just had a kid a few months ago and wants to focus on his family right now, respectable. The boys said no prob and that the doors are always open for him to return.
Well its obvious that boy bands get tortured alot by virtually everyone. But i really dig the Backstreet Boys. They harmonize very well and are still putting music out there despite knowing that they've past thier time of fame. Always tought they were more mature then the other boy bands.
I think they should drop the Boys from thier name and just be Backstreet.
Old 09-16-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not "personally bothered" by it. You make it out like I'm going to do a "GO BACK TO N'SYNC AND GIVE THEIR CAREERS ANOTHER SHOT!!!" video on YouTube where I bawl and cry about the respective toilets the careers of the other four NSyncer's have gone through. I just thought he kept going on and on in interviews about how he would return to the group fold after his solo debut that he should've kept his word instead of getting greedy in the process. It's not hard to go back and do one or two tracks for a Greatest Hits type album and embark on a farewell tour and then leave them behind like Beyonce did with Destiny's Child. She said she'd do one more DC album after her debut album, and she did. She gave DC's fans the farewell they wanted and deserved, because while she is a star and draw on her own, she knows that Destiny's Child put her where she is now and she doesn't forget it. N'Sync was kinda just left hanging in mid-air when I think the fans would've loved the chance to say goodbye to them.
Old 09-16-07, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

That presumes that a large number of N'Sync fans didn't just migrate over to being Timberlake fans, which I think they did.
Old 09-16-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Don't forget, the last NSYNC album was a disappointment sales-wise., so for Timberlake to want to reunite with the guys after his own debut solo album was a smashing success just wouldn't make any sense for him at all. I think if NSYNC's last album was a hit, and boy bands were still succeeding at the time, he would have easily rejoined the group for one last run.
Celebrity actually outsold Justin's two solo efforts, it's just that 5 million following a 12 million seller was a huge disappointment.
Old 09-16-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That presumes that a large number of N'Sync fans didn't just migrate over to being Timberlake fans, which I think they did.
well, same thing happened with Beyonce tho
Old 09-17-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
But, but, but...Timberlake is talented!!!!11!!!1

as long as he works with the right "people"..
Old 09-17-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
But, but, but...Timberlake is talented!!!!11!!!1

as long as he works with the right "people"..
No-ooo
Old 09-17-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
No-ooo
this is 2007, N'Sync were big in 1998-2001, it's almost the same at this point as refusing to take Jodie Foster seriously as an adult actress because of the Disney movies she did as a child
Old 09-17-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I remember working at Best Buy and we got all these copies of Celebrity and had to send most of them back in a return because noone would buy it. I was right about it being a disappointment, whereas Justin's solo album was imo a surprise since it seemed like the boy bands and anyone associated with them would fade away.
true, plus album sales are far lower in 2007 than 2001. Justin's album is at 3.6 million and is one of the top blockbusters of the past year or so, it's a lot harder to sell 3.6 million today than it would've been when Celebrity came out. So if we were probably to inflate today's sales in terms of sales from 6 years ago, FS/LS would probably be more in the 7-8 million range, which is very good for someone whose a decade into his career and is part of an era of music that is already seen as dated and passe as disco and hair bands.
Old 09-17-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I like I Want It That Way too. I also get into Larger Than Life and Bye Bye Bye, but I'm not sure which group did those two, if it was BB or N*Sync.
Old 09-18-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this is 2007, N'Sync were big in 1998-2001, it's almost the same at this point as refusing to take Jodie Foster seriously as an adult actress because of the Disney movies she did as a child
Jodi had talent from the beginning though. You need to watch Taxi Driver.
Old 09-21-07, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I like I Want It That Way too. I also get into Larger Than Life and Bye Bye Bye, but I'm not sure which group did those two, if it was BB or N*Sync.
Larger than Life - Backstreet Boys
Bye Bye Bye - Nsync

Both those bands have songs that I dig, but buying a whole album by them doesn't excite me like buying an album by a band who play and, especially, WRITE their own music.

Still, a good song is a good song for me.

I didn't like Larger than Life, though. Bye Bye Bye wasn't that bad.
Old 09-21-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Jodi had talent from the beginning though. You need to watch Taxi Driver.
how do you know if I have or haven't? Yes, she did Taxi Driver, but she also did Foxes and The Hotel New Hampshire and lots of Disney fluff before "The Accused" officially cemented her as a serious talented adult actress.

By comparison, you could hear glimpses of "this guy will be a star long after this group splits" in N'Sync songs, hell, he even still performs "Gone" on tour. But for every gone, there were three "Pop" and "Space Cowboy" songs.