Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Having problems playing back BD special features on PS3

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-14-07, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a PS3 and am having problems playing back the special features on all the BD discs I have tried so far [The Fountain and Lives of Others]. The main feature plays beautifully, but for some reason the [lower resolution] features don't play and are just scrambled. The odd thing is that if I switch to various Wide Mode settings, the features play fine. They seem to work with all of them except when set to Normal. The set is usually set to Normal so that it defaults to the OAR. Also, if I use Twin Mode (pushed it out of curiousity but don't really know what it does) the features play fine in one frame while the other one is just black. Weird. I have tried various settings on the PS3, but nothing seems to fix it. Can anybody help me out?

Oh yeah, I don't know if it matters, but my TV only supports up to 1080i. I don't think that has anything to do with it though since the features are 480i/p

Thank you in advance. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated....

Last edited by AmonTwin; 09-14-07 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 10:50 PM

Have you tried downloading / installing the latest system firmware? (I think they're up to v 1.92.)

I haven't encountered the exact problems you describe... but I had to update my launch-day PS3 when I picked up The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy. With the original firmware... there were irregular bands of color all across the screen.
Old 09-14-07, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by obispo21
Have you tried downloading / installing the latest system firmware? (I think they're up to v 1.92.)

I haven't encountered the exact problems you describe... but I had to update my launch-day PS3 when I picked up The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy. With the original firmware... there were irregular bands of color all across the screen.
I think so. I just got it yesterday (9/13) and updated it. It was v1.9 something or other. Will check it again...

Update: Nope. It's updated.

Last edited by AmonTwin; 09-14-07 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-15-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by AmonTwin
I think so. I just got it yesterday (9/13) and updated it. It was v1.9 something or other. Will check it again...

Update: Nope. It's updated.
Are you still having the same problems?
Old 09-15-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait, they don't play or are scrambled? Is the sound still going? It sounds like your TV doesn't like the switch between 1080 and 480 or something....that or your output settings in the blu-ray/dvd playback menu's are screwy....
Old 09-15-07, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wait, they don't play or are scrambled? Is the sound still going? It sounds like your TV doesn't like the switch between 1080 and 480 or something....that or your output settings in the blu-ray/dvd playback menu's are screwy....
The features play but are really scrambled. There is still audio though. Yes, it seems as if it is just some simple setting on my TV or PS3 that is not correct, but I have tried a number of different settings on both the PS3 and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to do about it. There must be a setting somewhere that allows the default resolution to work but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but if the extras are in standard definition, is it possible that you're trying to watch NTSC footage on a PAL display (or vice versa)? I'm not sure if that'd be an issue or not.

Do you have the PS3 connected over HDMI? Could it be that your TV can't take in 480i/480p over HDMI for some reason? Does it work if you use the composite video cables that come with the console?
Old 09-16-07, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
This may be a dumb question, but if the extras are in standard definition, is it possible that you're trying to watch NTSC footage on a PAL display (or vice versa)? I'm not sure if that'd be an issue or not.

Do you have the PS3 connected over HDMI? Could it be that your TV can't take in 480i/480p over HDMI for some reason? Does it work if you use the composite video cables that come with the console?
No. I have an NTSC TV. Also, the PS3 is connected over an HDMI to DVI cable with the audio connected through the composite cables that were provided with the console. I tried connecting with the composite as well and the same problem occurs. When connected with the HDMI/DVI it plays SD DVDs just fine, special features and all so it doesn't seem as if the TV can't accept 480i/480p over HDMI. I have tried many various settings and nothing seems to fix it. Am at a total loss what is wrong. As I mentioned in my original post, the features play fine in Twin Mode and if I pick various Wide Modes on the TV. Weird.

Okay. I tried the one special feature from Kingdom of Heaven BD [a trailer in HD I believe] and it plays fine. So it is obviously like Adam said in that somewhere the TV is not able to take a downconversion to 480i/480p, which is puzzling to me since I can watch regular SD DVDs just fine, with all their extras on the PS3.

Thank you for everybody's help so far....

Last edited by AmonTwin; 09-16-07 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 09:03 PM

Okay. Still not working correctly. I have tried everything that I can think of and tried every setting on the PS3 that looks like it has anything to do with video settings including setting all parental controls to OFF [you never know, I was trying everything]. However, there is one extra on The Fountain BD that seems to work which is the Peter Parks Bonus which is basically just a montage of nice images from the movie set to music. I guess that is the one extra that is in HD I guess, which is a little odd to me. Anybody have any new ideas? I am considering just writing to Sony or to Warner about possible reasons the special features won't work.

I realize it shouldn't be such a big deal since the movies play fine, but I would like to know that the system is set up correctly and that I am getting the full use out of my new player (until I get a new TV with 1080p at least).

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by AmonTwin
So it is obviously like Adam said in that somewhere the TV is not able to take a downconversion to 480i/480p, which is puzzling to me since I can watch regular SD DVDs just fine, with all their extras on the PS3.
For what it's worth, though, the PS3 will upconvert standard definition DVDs, but I don't believe it does the same for standard def extras on Blu-ray discs. Your display would still be passed 1080i or 720p thanks to the upconversion of DVDs, but the Blu-ray extras would still be 480i/480p.

I seem to remember reading that this is going to be addressed in a future firmware update.
Old 09-21-07, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For what it's worth, though, the PS3 will upconvert standard definition DVDs, but I don't believe it does the same for standard def extras on Blu-ray discs. Your display would still be passed 1080i or 720p thanks to the upconversion of DVDs, but the Blu-ray extras would still be 480i/480p.

I seem to remember reading that this is going to be addressed in a future firmware update.
Do you remember by chance where you may have read about the firmware update? Being stubborn, I am still convinced that my problem simply lies in some sort of incorrect setting on my part. I find it hard to believe that this issue has not been brought up before. Surely there are some others who are having a similar problem....?
Old 10-26-07, 01:11 PM

Sorry to dig this thread up again, but does anybody know if any upcoming PS3 updates is going to address the issue I am having? I still am unable to watch the BD extras on my TV. It doesn't sound right that basically nobody can watch their BD extras on a PS3. I can't tell which PS3 setting to try and change...
Old 10-26-07, 01:18 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What brand and model of TV do you have?
Old 10-26-07, 01:32 PM

Sorry. Thought I had included that in my original post. I have an old CRT Sony KV34HS510 with a maximum resolution of 1080i. The PS3 is connectied via an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

To avoid having to read the whole thread, basically I am having difficulty playing standard definition BD special features on my PS3 on my TV. There is audio but the video is scrambled.

Thanks....
Old 10-26-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder if it's just that your TV won't accept SD over HDMI properly for some reason. Try a PlayStation or PS2 game with the upconversion off, or just try setting your resolution to 480p so that anything the system puts out is in SD.

Another thing you could try is changing the video output setting to RGB or YCbCr (instead of auto which is the default).
Old 10-26-07, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I wonder if it's just that your TV won't accept SD over HDMI properly for some reason. Try a PlayStation or PS2 game with the upconversion off, or just try setting your resolution to 480p so that anything the system puts out is in SD.

Another thing you could try is changing the video output setting to RGB or YCbCr (instead of auto which is the default).
Yeah but I can watch normal SD DVDs fine. It is only the SD extras on the Blu-Ray discs. Regular DVDs look fine through the PS3. But will try changing the video output settings as well. Thanks...
Old 10-26-07, 05:23 PM

Nope. That didn't do it. Setting it to YCbCr just gave everything a purplish tint and extras still scrambled. RGB had no color manipulation, but extras still no good.

Last edited by AmonTwin; 10-26-07 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 05:26 PM

While I'm at it, the settings on my PS3 are as follows with the other options in brackets:

Under BD/DVD Settings:

Cinema Conversion: Automatic [Video]
DVD Wide Display: Letterbox [Pan and Scan]
DVD Upscaler: Normal [Off, Double Scan, and Full Screen]
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): Automatic [RGB and Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr]
BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI): Automatic [Off and On]
BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI): Linear PCM [Bitstream]
BD Audio Output Format: Linear PCM [Bitstream]

Under Display Settings:

Cross Color Reduction Filter: Off [On]
RGB Full Range (HDMI): Full [Limited]
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): Off [On]
This one says "Sets for use of a TV that is compatible with super-white output"

Maybe somebody can see what/if I have something set incorrectly. I have tried so many permutations that I have lost track. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-27-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, keep it on RGB. Everything else looks fine. There's a debate over whether Full or Limited should be used. Limited is supposed to preserve the below black information, while Full remaps the colors from video to PC levels which may be good depending on the display. Some prefer the look with Full. The Super-White setting won't apply since you're using RGB instead of YCbCr.

I just thought of something else though. If I'm not mistaken (if upconversion is turned off) the PS3 automatically deinterlaces SD video from DVDs and legacy games when using HDMI (it converts 480i to 480p). It has done this since before they added upconversion. Perhaps your set is having trouble with 480i over HDMI/DVI, but it can process 480p video fine. If BD extras play at 480i (which I don't know but I'll check soon), that would leave those extras as the only video from your PS3 that plays at 480i.
Old 11-01-07, 04:30 PM

I just thought of something else though. If I'm not mistaken (if upconversion is turned off) the PS3 automatically deinterlaces SD video from DVDs and legacy games when using HDMI (it converts 480i to 480p). It has done this since before they added upconversion. Perhaps your set is having trouble with 480i over HDMI/DVI, but it can process 480p video fine. If BD extras play at 480i (which I don't know but I'll check soon), that would leave those extras as the only video from your PS3 that plays at 480i.
Huh? Now you have lost me a bit. Are you saying that I am out of luck? Thanks for all your help so far.