DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip --> 8/21/07

Old 06-23-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip --> 8/21/07

Columbia House has this up for pre-order:
http://www.columbiahouse.com/sa/71/c...in=71&bak=NONE

Members only can see the page (and will have to log in first). I am excited to hear this as I wasn't sure if they'd even give it an immediate release in view of the series not returning.

It is listed as 6 discs. 15 hours, 24 minutes. Format simply listed as widescreen. There are no other details at this time on the site and you actually can't add this to the cart at the moment for whatever reason. No cover art available either. They did list a description:

From creator Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing) comes the first 18 episodes of this witty series depicting a behind-the-scenes look at the making of a sketch comedy show. Clever at times and poignant at others times, the series kicks off with the executive producer having an on-air meltdown and series brass scrambling to replace him. Enter Danny Tripp (Bradley Whitford) and Matt Albie (Matthew Perry), two long-since-replaced employees who can single-handedly save the show. Thus begins a roller coaster of emotions and conflicts that include Matt taking up his relationship with the series’ star, Danny falling madly in love with the newly pregnant Jordan (played smartly by Amanda Peet) and Matt struggling with his out-of-control habit. Fans of Sorkin’s other work are sure to find this show just as full of political discussions, smart witty banter and romance. A real winner, hopefully this is just the start of something special.
Old 06-23-07, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 episodes? There were 22 produced and aired, so hopefully that's a mistake.

r
Old 06-23-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Maybe K&R counts as one long epidode?
Old 06-23-07, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know how they get that number, because if they count K&R as one episode, why wouldn't they count the Nevada Day episodes as one and The Harriet Dinner episodes as one.
Old 06-23-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
I don't know how they get that number, because if they count K&R as one episode, why wouldn't they count the Nevada Day episodes as one and The Harriet Dinner episodes as one.
Maybe that's exactly what they're doing. As someone already mentioned, there are 22 episodes. Counting the three-part episode, and both of those two-part episodes, as one each would result in a total of 18 episodes.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 06-23-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-23-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Maybe K&R counts as one long epidode?

A very lonnng episode.
Old 06-23-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Maybe that's exactly what they're doing. As someone already mentioned, there are 22 episodes. Counting the three-part episode, and both of those two-part episodes, as one each would result in a total of 18 episodes.

Rob

Yeah now that I look back I guess it makes sense. I was thinking the Harriet Dinner one was 3 episodes instead of 2. It continued into the third episode but titled differently if I remember correctly.
Old 06-23-07, 04:41 PM

Per Warner, Studio 60 is certainly NOT coming out in August, at Columbia House or anywhere else. Warner doesn't know where CH got that date, but it's wrong. They have not finalized a date, but it's later in the year...possibly as late as the late fall/early winter timeframe.

CH also has a wrong date for Veronica Mars S3. There it also says August, when it is actually coming on Oct. 23rd.

I've considered posting this info on TVShowsOnDVD, but CH's misinformation hasn't spread wide enough yet to really warrant it. Hopefully a mention here will head things off at the pass.
Old 06-23-07, 05:40 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Interesting...thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-23-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Just a warning for when it does come out, this show has some of the worst picture quality of any major network show airing in High Definition, so I wouldn't expect much from the DVD. On the HD channel there are episodes that look like bad VHS, so you can imagine what the DVD is going to look like.
Old 06-23-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Just a warning for when it does come out, this show has some of the worst picture quality of any major network show airing in High Definition, so I wouldn't expect much from the DVD. On the HD channel there are episodes that look like bad VHS, so you can imagine what the DVD is going to look like.
Totally agree Josh! I love the show but sometimes it just looks blurry!
Old 06-23-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by David Lambert
Per Warner, Studio 60 is certainly NOT coming out in August, at Columbia House or anywhere else. Warner doesn't know where CH got that date, but it's wrong. They have not finalized a date, but it's later in the year...possibly as late as the late fall/early winter timeframe.

CH also has a wrong date for Veronica Mars S3. There it also says August, when it is actually coming on Oct. 23rd.

I've considered posting this info on TVShowsOnDVD, but CH's misinformation hasn't spread wide enough yet to really warrant it. Hopefully a mention here will head things off at the pass.
Thanks for the heads up, Dave. Wonder what CH is thinking sometimes...
Old 06-23-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Totally agree Josh! I love the show but sometimes it just looks blurry!
I realize that they switched to Super16 after the pilot as a budget-cutting measure, but that doesn't explain the wild swings in picture quality from one episode to the next. Some look fine, some look horrendous, and most are just drearily mediocre.

Veronica Mars was another 16mm show that looked consistently better in HD than Studio 60 ever did.
Old 06-23-07, 09:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I realize that they switched to Super16 after the pilot as a budget-cutting measure, but that doesn't explain the wild swings in picture quality from one episode to the next. Some look fine, some look horrendous, and most are just drearily mediocre.

Veronica Mars was another 16mm show that looked consistently better in HD than Studio 60 ever did.
I believe it was the NBC HD feed that was the cause for those problems. They should look better on DVD.
Old 06-24-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JustinW
I believe it was the NBC HD feed that was the cause for those problems. They should look better on DVD.
I agree with you on that...
I have also found NBC to have the "lowest quality" HD feeds (relative to the other networks)....

Another example I have seen is with The Office....I thought my first season DVDs looked better than the HD broadcasts...
Old 06-25-07, 10:23 AM

Thrilled to hear this is getting a release. I never caught the majority of episodes but liked what I did see, plus I'm a sucker for anything Sorkin-related.
Old 06-25-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oakland
Thrilled to hear this is getting a release. I never caught the majority of episodes but liked what I did see, plus I'm a sucker for anything Sorkin-related.
The show was very uneven, but it had all the right elements in place to straighten itself out if it could have been given more time to grow.
Old 06-25-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HD-DVD release anytime??

Hmmmm??
Old 06-25-07, 02:34 PM

None planned that we know of. Right now it looks like Heroes and the rumored Galactica are the only TV-on-HD DVD releases on Universal's radar.
Old 06-25-07, 02:40 PM

Yay and nooooo. I keep wondering why S60 hasn't been announced yet, especially when Black Donnelly's has been. I realize the finale is this week, but still. I'm hoping for some commentaries, especially on the Pilot.
Old 06-25-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with Josh Z that it was uneven from the get-go and lacked the dynamic element that made Sports Night and The West Wing stellar TV shows right from the start. But still well worth watching and I've not missed an episode other than the pilot (which I want to see!). The cast is certainly not what was lacking... Sorkin shows never suffer from poor casting.
Old 06-25-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
I agree with Josh Z that it was uneven from the get-go and lacked the dynamic element that made Sports Night and The West Wing stellar TV shows right from the start. But still well worth watching and I've not missed an episode other than the pilot (which I want to see!).
The pilot was fantastic. Definitely the best episode.
Old 06-26-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by David Lambert
None planned that we know of. Right now it looks like Heroes and the rumored Galactica are the only TV-on-HD DVD releases on Universal's radar.
I'm assuming it would be on Warner's radar, you know, considering that's the actual studio producing the show.
Old 06-27-07, 07:51 AM

Sorry, brain fart there. Yeah, Warner's not been announcing hi-def TV shows at all yet, since the Smallville Season 5. There's stuff they're distributing for others, like HBO (example: Sopranos) and BBC (example: Planet Earth), but as far as stuff Warner is producing, there has been no word I've seen for HD DVD (or Blu-ray) of even Smallville Season 6, much less something new and different in the way of a TV show.

Having said that, I posted news this morning for Studio 60's DVD release on Oct. 16th.

One thought is this: there is very little likelihood of a studio - any studio - producing a hi-def (HD DVD or Blu-ray) release for a cancelled show that won't be a "franchise" that they can continue to build on. In these "early adopter" days, the studios are more than likely wanting to pick TV-on-Hi-Def-Disc choices that they feel will lead to bigger/better releases on down the line.
Old 06-27-07, 03:17 PM
Suspended

The Complete Series.

Hearing that still makes me

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.