Reload this Page >

20 Million Miles To Earth - 50th Anniv. Edition! IN COLOR

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-28-07, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be 3 versions on the 2-disc set; FS (b&w), WS (b&w), and WS (colorized). I'm really not a big fan of colorization, but Harryhausen has "Lucas-ed out" on us on this one; he says "audiences will be able to see 20 Million Miles to Earth as I originally intended.” You can see the new cover art, too, at this link:

http://dvd.monstersandcritics.com/ne...dition_in_July

THE STORY:
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment marks the half-century milestone of one of the earliest films by stop-motion animation genius Ray Harryhausen with the July 31 debut of 20 Million Miles to Earth: 50th Anniversary Edition. The two-disc DVD will be available for a suggested retail price of $24.95.

The film, which depicts the destruction of Rome by a reptile from the planet Venus, was directed by Nathan Juran (The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, First Men ‘in’ the Moon) and stars William Hopper (The Bad Seed) and Joan Taylor (Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers). In addition to the pristine, digitally-restored black & white original, the classic film will now be available in a newly colorized version supervised by Harryhausen himself.

In a recent interview, Harryhausen said “I am thrilled that this film is finally being seen in color. I had wanted to do the film in color in the 1950s, but our budget was not large enough to accommodate that luxury. Now, thanks to the marvelous advances made in the colorization process by San Diego’s Legend Films and others, audiences will be able to see 20 Million Miles to Earth as I originally intended.”

20 Million Miles to Earth: 50th Anniversary Edition also contains extensive new bonus features including audio commentary by Ray Harryhausen, visual effects artists Dennis Muren and Phil Tippett, and producer Arnold Kunert; Remembering 20 Million Miles to Earth, wherein Harryhausen and others discuss the film’s production and influence; Tim Burton Sits Down with Ray Harryhausen; The Joan Taylor Interview; Colorization; a video discussion of 20 Million Miles to Earth’s 1957 marketing and advertising campaign by producer Arnold Kunert; Mischa Bakaleinikoff: Film Music’s Unsung Hero; and an elaborate still and production art gallery.

Though special effects techniques today have been dramatically transformed by CGI, the highly-imaginative and incredibly detailed work by Ray Harryhausen in his legendary films continues to hold audiences spellbound today. A disciple of stop-motion pioneer Willis O’Brien (King Kong), Harryhausen adapted the techniques O’Brien developed and created his own genre of film from the 1950s to the 1980s utilizing his own stop-motion process eventually identified as “Dynamation.” His memorable films include The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953), It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955), The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), One Million Years, B.C. (1966), The Valley of Gwangi (1969), The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974), and Clash of the Titans (1981). His amazing body of work continues to inspire many of today’s special effects wizards.
Old 05-28-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
No thanks. Colorization makes baby Orson Welles cry.
Old 05-28-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
No thanks. Colorization makes baby Orson Welles cry.

The original version is on there too, you know. In WS & FS.
Old 05-28-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
This is a must-buy for me. I'm guying it for the original b/w but I'll be curious how the colorized version looks. If it's okay by Ray, it's okay by me... especially since he supervised it himself.
Old 05-28-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Colorization techniques have really improved dramatically over the years. And although I have a "take it or leave it" attitude about it, the fact that all 3 versions are being included should make everybody happy.
Old 05-28-07, 08:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, I have the old version, but I'm gonna double-dip.
Old 05-28-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Call me crazy, but I'll blind buy this. Looks like a decent sci-fi classic. It's great that three different versions will be present. Props to Sony!
Old 05-29-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is the one in the current Harryhausen box set not in WS?
Old 05-29-07, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as the BW is available let the guy colorize a version. Definitely will be interested in this one.
Old 05-29-07, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll buy the B/W version and probably rent the colorized one.
Old 05-29-07, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'll buy the B/W version and probably rent the colorized one.
I believe all 3 versions (FS b&w, WS b&w, colorized) are included in the same 2 disc set.
Old 05-29-07, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redskull
I believe all 3 versions (FS b&w, WS b&w, colorized) are included in the same 2 disc set.
I must have mis-read the article. I guess that would explain the list price then.
Old 05-29-07, 09:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
guess I can get rid of my laserdisc edition of the film now.
Old 05-29-07, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Living Dead
Is the one in the current Harryhausen box set not in WS?
Yes, it's in WS (its OAR). And it looks pretty good, too. If you have it already, then I don't see any urgent reason to "upgrade" -- except maybe for the extras. (The only title in the box sets not in its OAR is The Three Worlds of Gulliver.)
Old 07-30-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At Comic-Con, I picked up a signed cover that I'll swap out when I get the DVD. Click for large version.

Old 07-30-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Nice. I've always thought the cover looks very old school, but not the good kind of old school like when Warner or Fox use the original movie posters. It looks more like a $1 DVD rack public domain release from Good Times or something like that!

Regardless, it's still on my wishlist. Anyone plan on picking this up tomorrow?
Old 07-31-07, 08:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the wait for the BluRay edition in December is ridiculous.
Old 07-31-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
At Comic-Con, I picked up a signed cover that I'll swap out when I get the DVD.
I went last year with family and friends, and we stayed at a condo near a beach. After last year's Saturday madhouse crush of attendees, when I got back late that night, I made an offhanded comment to my wife about not knowing if I wanted to attend another ComiCon.

Yes...in hindsight, this is probably in the top 5 most stupid things I have ever said (right next to "I do." ). I can only blame it on exhaustion.

This year, my wife decided we needed to spend more time with hometown families and arranged for us to spend summer vacation in that metropolitain paradise of the midwest...Toledo, OH.

Otherwise known as Hell...with humidity.

Man...I could just kick myself for not going this year (and offhanded comments...from now on, I keep my mouth shut).

Guess I'll just do this instead.
Old 07-31-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great Harryhausen flick and being a huge Harryhausen whore.....sealed deal. Colorized version?
Old 07-31-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's an interesting pic I took on Saturday at Comic-Con. I was walking by the booth where Ray Harryhausen was signing and I spotted Clive Barker talking to him.

Old 07-31-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's an interesting pic I took on Saturday at Comic-Con. I was walking by the booth where Ray Harryhausen was signing and I spotted Clive Barker talking to him.

Good job. I think if I came across Barker chatting with Ray here in the toasty cornbelt.....I'd die on the spot.

C'mon you guys, you ARE talking about that film you'd like to do together, right?
Old 07-31-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ch.com members: Though it never was available for pre-order, it is now available on the site as of today for only $9.98 shipped. SOLD!
Old 07-31-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gutwrencher
C'mon you guys, you ARE talking about that film you'd like to do together, right?
Now THAT would be interesting!
Old 08-01-07, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn! I was at the booth on Sunday for about 40 minutes. My old science fiction high school teacher was the moderator for the "Rays" panel. Sorry I didn't show up the day before!

I heard Clive was really messed up (had to be helped on/off the stage of the panel he was on). I didn't even know he was there!
Old 08-01-07, 06:10 AM
Banned

Neither did he.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.