Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK - Anyone else like this one?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-11-07, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got my hands on this film, and I found that I liked it more then Lady Vengeance. I thought "I'm a Cyborg" would be a bit corny going in, and to be honest I didn't really know if it would be up my alley. I saw SFLV at the North American Premiere (TIFF) during the OLDBOY craze so my expectations were a little higher going in for that film. Either way I came out of "I'm a Cybog" much happier then I did SFLV. My favorite Korean film since Ki-Duk's TIME, hands down. I know it's not going to be for everyone, mainly because its art house edge, but I'm really happy I saw this. I'm curious what others think of this film as it doesn't seem to be getting half the press that SFLV or OLDBOY did. I can't see this film being made, remade or even being successful in North America, and maybe that's why the reviews have been varried!? The film is a breath of fresh air in my eyes, and I hope it doesn't slide under the radar. I was worried The Host would taint Korean Cinema, but this film reminded me of why I became attracted to Korean film over 10+ years ago. Yes, I'm still "new" to this stuff, but I was getting tired of the recent batch of Korean film concepts. Am I alone on this one, or is this a really enjoyable and original film? My gut tells me this is going to be a "love it" or "hate it" film for many. Anyhow, as I mentioned I'd be curious to hear what others thought about it.
Old 05-11-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it, as Chan-wook Park has a really good track record so far.

When does the Korean dvd of it come out anyways>
Old 05-11-07, 10:49 AM

The Korean DVD is out. I came out 2 day's ago. That is what I got. There is a place where I live that gets stuff the same time as YesAsia, and I just got it yesterday afternoon.
Old 05-11-07, 11:56 AM

Sorry but I hated this film, the ending was terrible, Park created brilliant endings in Oldboy,SFLV etc.. so why the crappy ending this time? The premise of the film was interesting but he did nothing interesting with it. I hope he never ever attempts a 'comedy' again, stick to what your good at Park and its not comedys. If this film was by another director people wouldnt be so kind, but because its Park and he's attempted something new people are little kinder to the film.
Old 05-11-07, 06:17 PM

Absolutely hated it. I couldn't even stay till the end.

I am just not into this kind of presentation, the same reason why I don't like the Science of Sleep.

Also, the actors in this movie remind me of very average typical Korean soap comedies, not a good thing.

Lady Vengeance to me is a masterpiece. A perfect ending to the vengeance trilogy. The "fade-to-black and white" version is particularly beautiful.
Old 05-11-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, sorry to chime in as I too have yet to see the film. ... as I'm holding out for a Japanese release of this one before I'll see it. And for, well maybe twice, I'm not pleased with the Korean release. And that's saying something.

But I have to know Splatti2 .. which film of Chan-wook's is your favorite? Mine just happens to be Sympathy For Lady Vengeance ..by far (it's actually one of my top 10 films of all time - no kidding). And I'm being selfish in my search of knowledge about Cyborg and whether or not I'm setting myself up for a fall with this one ...
Old 05-11-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tend to agree that this will likely be pretty evenly divided between those who love it, and those who despise it. Myself, I'm firmly entrenched in Stalin's camp ^. Gorgeously filmed, but tedious and trite. Then again, I didn't care for Ki-Duk's latest either.
Old 05-11-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey meritocracy .. sorry to thread crap, but what's your opinion on Dasepo Naughty Girls!??? The Korean release is an absolutely gorgeous release but it's damn expensive for what I've almost determined to be a below average film .. and not worth it. So what's your view on it .. if you don't mind me asking. Any other Korean films that it could be compared with? Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 05-11-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey visitor Q...Dasepo Naughty Girls is another which has viewers evenly divided into their respective camps. Some minor qualms aside, I had a great time with it and found it to be a delightful surprise. I'm not typically a fan of camp per se, but this had just the right mix of the bizarre and surreal to make for a highly enjoyable experience. Personal enthusiasm aside, I would still be rather hesitant to recommend it outright, as I can't say my experience would be replicated by the majority.

On a related note, a TV series of sorts for Dasepo was created as well. A friend lent me the set. I only made it halfway through the second disc before tossing it aside. In a word, awful!
Old 05-11-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

... ewww, well at least about your comment on the TV series. As I've heard about it. Korean films are expensive enough ... I think I'll leave the TV series out of the equation for quite some time . But seriously, thanks for the input. I enjoy quirky/unusual/thought provoking films .. aside from the usual "escapist" films. I might just have to give this one a try.

Considering quite a few of the frequent Korean limited edition releases get sopped up relatively quick, judging by what I'm hearing on Dasepo ... I might just have a few more months to decide on this one. But I might just pull the trigger .......

Thanks again
Old 05-11-07, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My copy of Cyborg is on the way, so I'll weigh in on it then. Dasepo should be in the mail any day now hopefully.
Old 05-11-07, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by meritocracy
I tend to agree that this will likely be pretty evenly divided between those who love it, and those who despise it. Myself, I'm firmly entrenched in Stalin's camp ^. Gorgeously filmed, but tedious and trite. Then again, I didn't care for Ki-Duk's latest either.
I'm glad as a fan of asian cinema Im not the only person who disliked this!, Most of the folks over at KFCCINEMA seem to love this film.

It'll be interesting to see what the twitch folk think of it...
Old 05-12-07, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by stalin_roy
I'm glad as a fan of asian cinema Im not the only person who disliked this!, Most of the folks over at KFCCINEMA seem to love this film.

It'll be interesting to see what the twitch folk think of it...
One of the guys that I go to festivals with watched it as well, and he didn't really take to it like I did. One thing I will say (love it or hate it) is I'm curious as to how this even got a green light. While I enjoyed it, I don't see the potential for a box office hit at all, outside of maybe the fact RAIN is in it. For those who didn't enjoy it, I'm sure you're asking why this was made anyhow.

In regards to the question someone else asked me above, the order in which I would have ranked Park's trilogy would have been;

#1 - SFMV,
#2 - Old Boy
#3 - SFLV

Of course, I saw them in this order so my expectations were high from SFMV. Anyhow, to each their own. I wouldn't be shocked to hear of others who didn't take to his latest.
Old 05-14-07, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
But I have to know Splatti2 .. which film of Chan-wook's is your favorite? Mine just happens to be Sympathy For Lady Vengeance ..by far (it's actually one of my top 10 films of all time - no kidding). And I'm being selfish in my search of knowledge about Cyborg and whether or not I'm setting myself up for a fall with this one ...
I feel the same too.
Lady Vengeance > oldboy > mr. vengeance.
It's just the way vengeance progressed in the 3 parts, and I tend to prefer the peaceful ending at the end of lady vengeance.
Old 05-14-07, 02:27 PM

Watched the Korean DVD last night. Nice DVD but terrible film. Loved most of what he's done up to now but this was just stupid.

And not stupid like The Blues Brothers or Brazil, annoying stupid.
Old 05-15-07, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was a like a very colorful version of Cronenberg's Spider. Park was the writer for "Bizarre Love Triangle" which I thought had a similar level of goofiness.
Old 05-15-07, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
I thought it was a like a very colorful version of Cronenberg's Spider. Park was the writer for "Bizarre Love Triangle" which I thought had a similar level of goofiness.
well I'll stay clear of it now...
Old 05-16-07, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
I thought it was a like a very colorful version of Cronenberg's Spider.
I never claim to read the future but I think I can say with some certainty that that statement will NOT appear on the US/UK poster

I want hammer strikes to the head like OldBoy or the great stories of the Sympathy For... films and Joint Security Area.

I don't do goofy.
Old 05-19-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
well I'll stay clear of it now...
I'm right there with you... I'm a HUGE Cronenberg fan but I LOATHED Spider.
Old 05-20-07, 03:44 AM

i watched this a couple of nights back. there's a few things i think people might generally dislike about this film, but mostly it's not likely to be as easy to get into as the last few films from park - this is a cryptic, abstract puzzle of a film - and it's easy to take it as messy as a result. personally, it's refreshing and charming, and i'm greatful park's gone a different route, shown confidence in doing so, and that he's not making this an easy one for anyone. it's a rewarding film if you pick your way through it - that may take several viewings, and i can understand many may not want to do that, and will expect more immediacy from it. it's not there. but it's a fine film, i think.
Old 05-31-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The PAL THAI DVD is available up at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=31504

Anamorphic, Korean DD 5.1, English subtitles all for $10.50 including shipping!
Old 06-04-07, 10:16 AM

I watched it also few days ago. I enjoy it. It is definately one of those "love it or hate it" movie. The first half hour is difficult to sit thur and follow. but the final half hour is quite moving (although I don't quite understand what the last scene is about...need to watch again.)

I recommand it to those who like Terry Gilliam movies (also, some elemants in the movie are similar to Stephen Chow's Out of The Dark.)

I can understand why many are disappointed wth it. But have to give credit to both director and the leading man, for their courage to take on such truly offbeat/absurd subject. (most fan of the leading man, Rain, will expect this to be mainstream staight forward romanic-comdey...)

I am also suprised there are a few rather violent scenses in the movie...
Old 06-14-07, 06:44 AM
Banned

By the way, here you'll find a review of the movie and the Korean DVD (in English and German), along with screen captures.

Link: http://tpg.dvdtiefpreise.com/?page_id=4264
Old 08-28-07, 09:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliosphann
I'm right there with you... I'm a HUGE Cronenberg fan but I LOATHED Spider.
well....

I'd say it's actually more of a 'Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' vein than 'Spider'

I'm still digesting the film - I think I really liked it, (I didn't quite get the ending) - it's just sooooo off the wall and absurd - but in a very charming kind of way.

as for the DVD I watched, the Thai (NTSC Region 0) edition - the Thai 5.1 dub version is great in terms of sound effects, the dubbing not so. The original Korean soundtrack is very muted and off centered, the 5.1 soundmix is disappointing when compared to the Thai soundmix.

Last edited by Giles; 08-28-07 at 09:11 AM.