Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dialogue-oriented movies...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-02-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't want to create a 2 or 3 post thread and have be done, hence the somewhat vague title.

The main point of this thread: I was having a session with my shrinkologist (that's right, shrinkologist) and it turned towards religion in some capacity. I made mention of the bible not being so literal (not much of a believer in it at all, but that wasn't the point). I had said that I doubt that God made the Earth in 7 days literally. I said "after all, what's a day to God? It's not like the guy's wearing a watch."

He said that there was a film that I'd really like, but he couldn't recall what the film was, so here's what he thought he could recall of it:

-made somewhere in the mid 50's to perhaps the mid 60's
-supposedly starring both Burt Lancaster and Lee J. Cobb (although perhaps both weren't "stars" in the film, I'm not sure)
-Lancaster played a person who was defending the bible (or something along those lines)
-apparently my statement of what's time to god line of thought is what triggered him to recall the film...however, I'm not sure if the idea of "believers v. non-believers was the core plot of the film

Having gone through quite a bit of stuff over at IMDB, I'm wondering if perhaps the film only has one of the actors in it, not both. I saw a film (or two?) that they were in together, but the general plot didn't seem to suggest the religious theme mentioned above. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

ON TO THE MORE GENERALIZED TOPIC:

Just curious about some good films that are philosophical discussions, I guess I'm thinking along the lines of Mindwalk. It doesn't have to be religious specifically. I hear that Dinner with Andre is a good one (assuming I recall the right title).

Any other suggestions? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 04-02-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
i'm not sure about the Burt Lancaster movie, but the two that jump out at me are:
Elmer Gantry and The Devil's Disciple

Both of which I haven't seen in years so I may be way off.

A great film with philosophical discussions which even brings up religion is The Big Kahuna a great dialogue oriented drama starring Kevin Spacey and Danny Devito.
Old 04-02-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Waking Life is almost exclusively discussions about life.

Also the movie you may be looking for with Lancaster in a supporting role: Separate Tables -- my hunch coming from this little piece of dialogue between Lancaster and Gladys Cooper:

Mrs. Railton-Bell: Are you on the side of Mr. Malcolm and his defense advice or are you on the side of the Christian virtues -- like Mr. Fowler and myself?
John Malcolm: Never in my life have I heard a question so disgracefully begged. You should be in politics, Mrs. Railton-Bell.

But I haven't seen it, so I don't know

Last edited by RichC2; 04-02-07 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 11:25 PM

Before Sunrise and Before Sunset are beautiful dialogue films.
Old 04-02-07, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll add Tape to the list.

This is now a Richard Linklater thread it seems.
Old 04-03-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny, I have Waking Life on dvd, but have yet to watch it. I guess it seemed like the type of film I'm thinking of here. Is it a bit more coherent line of thought than Slacker? I know that moments in that film that definitely do a bit of philosophizing, like the first scene with Linklater himself in the back of the cab talking about parallel universe type stuff. But then the camera eventually leaves him and goes elsewhere etc. I'm hoping that even if Waking Life does jump from person to person that at least the line of thought of the film stays a bit more together, instead of ending up talking about Madonna's pap smear (not that there's anything wrong with that of course).
Old 04-03-07, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Inherit The Wind.
Old 04-03-07, 07:02 AM

Dialogue-oriented movies? Any Kevin Smith movie.
Old 04-03-07, 08:04 AM

Roger Dodger and Melvin Goes to Dinner.
Old 04-03-07, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glengarry Glen Ross
Old 04-03-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by harpo787
Funny, I have Waking Life on dvd, but have yet to watch it. I guess it seemed like the type of film I'm thinking of here. Is it a bit more coherent line of thought than Slacker? I know that moments in that film that definitely do a bit of philosophizing, like the first scene with Linklater himself in the back of the cab talking about parallel universe type stuff. But then the camera eventually leaves him and goes elsewhere etc. I'm hoping that even if Waking Life does jump from person to person that at least the line of thought of the film stays a bit more together, instead of ending up talking about Madonna's pap smear (not that there's anything wrong with that of course).
Yup. There is definitely more of a specific thesis running from start to finish than you get in "Slacker", even with a bit of suspense as to what's happening to the main character, a realization, and a summing up. Much more conventional in that regard, but fortunately completely wacked in other respects. Not a strict, outlineable explication like "Mindwalk", but includes a stroll through some strains of contemporary thought (existentialism, post-structuralism), as well as a few more random musings and rants.

Check out:
Scenes from a Marriage (and any of Bergman's other so-called "chamber dramas")
My Night at Maud's (and just about any Rohmer, presently best represented on high quality DVD by Criterion's "Six Moral Tales" boxset, which includes "Maude's")
Old 04-03-07, 11:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Glengarry Glen Ross
Or anything else written by David Mamet.
Old 04-03-07, 11:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Waking Life is almost exclusively discussions about life.

Also the movie you may be looking for with Lancaster in a supporting role: Separate Tables -- my hunch coming from this little piece of dialogue between Lancaster and Gladys Cooper:

Mrs. Railton-Bell: Are you on the side of Mr. Malcolm and his defense advice or are you on the side of the Christian virtues -- like Mr. Fowler and myself?
John Malcolm: Never in my life have I heard a question so disgracefully begged. You should be in politics, Mrs. Railton-Bell.

But I haven't seen it, so I don't know
I loved 'Slacker' but I thought 'Waking Life' was so pompous and pretentious.
Old 04-03-07, 12:46 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another Linklater -- A SCANNER DARKLY.
Old 04-03-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Mike Leigh's Naked
Old 04-03-07, 09:17 PM

Before Sunrise/Sunset are Linklater's best IMHO and among the best movies with no real action I've seen. And add another recommendation for Inherit The Wind.
Old 04-04-07, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ghostface180
Glengarry Glen Ross

Seconded.
Old 04-04-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Big Kahuna