Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Carl Sagan's Cosmos...will I be offended?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-01-07, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a Christian...but I also believe in "Intelligent design". I have heard this series is phenomanal and want to pick it up.

1) Is it worth it?

2) As a Christian will I be offended?

3) Did it add the addendum that the Science Channel did back in 2003 with Sagan's comments, and added special effects?

I love documentaries...should I invest?
Old 04-01-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
1) YES!!!

2) Enlightened, yes. Insulted? Only if you weren't enlightened.

3) No. The DVD has a "Text Commentary" that tells about some scientific changes since the series premiered, but all of the on-screen graphics are the same as the original (the DVD was released in 2000). The new graphics by the Science Channel were new for the show's 25th anniversary (2005) and that version has not been released on DVD.
Old 04-01-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really understand how someone can be offended by being exposed to an opinion different from their own, but if you're that thin-skinned, yeah, you might be offended.

IIRC, "Cosmos" doesn't really deal with religion at all, just the scientific facts and theories of the origins of our universe. "Intelligent design" isn't mentioned as one of the options.
Old 04-01-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by DeVante
I am a Christian...but I also believe in "Intelligent design".

I don't know any Christians who DON'T believe in intelligent design.
Old 04-01-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you believe the Earth and the Universe were created about 6,000 years ago, you might be a bit offended. There is also some talk of evolution being factual in it.

Great show, though.
Old 04-01-07, 06:44 PM

Cosmos is by far my favorite program ever - more so than any other documentary, television program or major motion picture.

Yes it is definitely worth it.

But... I believe one of Dr. Sagan's direct quotes in the show is...

"Evolution is a fact, not a theory. It *really* happens."

Additionally, Dr. Sagan makes no bones in the series and idicates it's very likely humans invented god.

I'm not sure what the Science Channel did in 2003, but the DVD has a "Cosmos Update" after most of the episodes where an older Carl Sagan talks about changes and more recent events since the original broadcasting.

Last edited by obispo21; 04-01-07 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
He rips into believers of UFOs and Alien Abductions the most, and even then he's actually polite about it.
Old 04-01-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a Christian and I love Cosmos. Then again, I believe that God works mainly through science, not miracles.
Old 04-01-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
I know in some of his later writings, he really lashed out at religion, but apart from some frank discussion of evolution as fact and a detailed timeline of creation from the big bang to the present day, I don't think there's too much to be offended by.

Cosmos was more about Sagan's infatuation with life itself than pushing an agenda. It's a "voyage of discovery" and is a moving personal vision of hope for humanity and it's place in the universe.
Old 04-01-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Yes! By its outrageous price.

Other than that, it is a beautiful series. I strongly recommend it (to the wealthy).
This is the only problem with the DVD set.
Old 04-01-07, 10:09 PM
Banned

I am hesitant to pick this up(not for the price tag) but for the fact that they might release the 25th Anniversary collection(with the added Special Effects) on HD-DVD or Blu Ray.

Is their a chance of this...or should I forget about it.
Old 04-01-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, if you have to ask, why don't you pop in some VegiTales or something and as they say "Let go, Let God!"

I'm not trying to be an ass, but seriously, I'm pretty comfortable with the fact I understand my limitations with certain things and tend not to push it when I think there's a chance that something might not be for me.

It's for this reason I don't watch Fox News, I don't watch Grey's Anatomy, and I don't eat pork: they don't sit really well with me and I know it, so why bother?
Old 04-02-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are you offended by those Geico commercials?
Old 04-02-07, 01:47 AM

Pretend that Carl Sagan has a really active imagination.
Old 04-02-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think only the first episode addresses evolution and there's much more science to explore in this series.
You could check your public library and see if they have any copies of it. Even viewing on VHS would give you a preview to help you decide whether or not you'd like it.
Even if you do buy it and decide that you are offended by it, it would be a pretty easy resale.
Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Pretend that Carl Sagan has a really active imagination.
No pretending necessary. This series shows that Sagan, as well as other scientists, had quite an imagination.

Last edited by RKillgore; 04-02-07 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm offended by them, but it's because I'm a Neanderthal and don't appreciate seeing my people being exploited in such a frivolous manner.
Old 04-02-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally Posted by RKillgore
No pretending necessary. This series shows that Sagan, as well as other scientists, had quite an imagination.
What's really funny is that after Sagan died it came out that he was a big pothead.

And now I can't watch him without cracking up because it's so flippin' obvious and I can't believe I never picked up on it before.
Old 04-02-07, 08:17 AM

I so want to see this Doc. Haven't heard a bad thing about it. But yes, the proce tag is a little high for my liking.
Old 04-02-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sagan was more than a great scientist and intellect. He cared deeply about the earth and all who occupy it. More than anything else - more than SETI or any of the NASA missions he was involved with - Sagan hoped that his works directed toward a lay audience would be his greatest legacy.

I would highly recommend that you watch this series, and also read Sagan's "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" and "The Demon-Haunted World". Taken together, these are among the very greatest popularizations of science ever undertaken. Although your beliefs may require you to disagree with him from time to time, you won't find a more gracious voice in opposition. You will not doubt for one moment his sincerity and love for you and all mankind. More than anything, he wished to invest the average person with a deep wonder for the universe and our place in it, as well as our responsibilities to our home and one another. He's simply not a man who could be considered "offensive".

Look at it this way: even if you feel compelled to disagree with him on faith-based grounds, your beliefs will be all the stronger and better understood for having placed them on the crucible in this way. And you will be able to communicate your beliefs better to someone like myself who finds scientific inquiry to be a superior means of understanding our history and existence. You'll start to become fluent in a new language, and thus more able to proselytize to those who speak it. And, again, you may disagree with Sagan, but you'll be hard-pressed to take "offense" from such a sincere and gracious man.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 04-02-07 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Sagan was more than a great scientist and intellect. He cared deeply about the earth and all who occupy it. More than anything else - more than SETI or any of the NASA missions he was involved with - Sagan hoped that his works directed toward a lay audience would be his greatest legacy.

I would highly recommend that you watch this series, and also read Sagan's "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" and "The Demon-Haunted World". Taken together, these are among the very greatest popularizations of science ever undertaken. Although your beliefs may require you to disagree with him from time to time, you won't find a more gracious voice in opposition. You will not doubt for one moment his sincerity and love for you and all mankind. More than anything, he wished to invest the average person with a deep wonder for the universe and our place in it, as well as our responsibilities to our home and one another. He's simply not a man who could be considered "offensive".

Look at it this way: even if you feel compelled to disagree with him on faith-based grounds, your beliefs will be all the stronger and better understood for having placed them on the crucible in this way. And you will be able to communicate your beliefs better to someone like myself who finds scientific inquiry to be a superior means of understanding our history and existence. You'll start to become fluent in a new language, and thus more able to proselytize to those who speak it. And, again, you may disagree with Sagan, but you'll be hard-pressed to take "offense" from such a sincere and gracious man.

I would also mention that no ones religious views should ever be offended or threatened by reason and the scientific method. Agree or disagree, but questioning is never wrong.
Old 04-02-07, 09:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

shhh, you wouldn't want to get him angry...

as for 'Cosmos' - the one thing that stood out for me was the use of key music cues from Vangelis' 'Heaven and Hell' album -

Last edited by Giles; 04-02-07 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason
I know in some of his later writings, he really lashed out at religion, but apart from some frank discussion of evolution as fact and a detailed timeline of creation from the big bang to the present day, I don't think there's too much to be offended by.
In his last (or one of his last) books, "Billions and Billions", Sagan stated that he believed the universe was TOO well-ordered and intelligent design most likely was involved...although he still rejected the idea of "God" or one overseeing higher being.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 04-02-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-02-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
I would also mention that no ones religious views should ever be offended or threatened by reason and the scientific method. Agree or disagree, but questioning is never wrong.

"Test everything; hold fast to that which is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Old 04-02-07, 04:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside

Originally Posted by Numanoid

"Test everything; hold fast to that which is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21
Amen.