Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Leaked footage of David O. Russell throwing major tantrum on set of "Huckabees"

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-20-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus, I've read articles of Russell being a total asshole, but never actually saw it in the flesh until now (I still like Huckabees though):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djT-R...elated&search=

Another brief clip of Tomlin yelling at Russell (she can hear him in her earpiece):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhDO9...elated&search=

These clips have already gotten pulled a couple of times, so if you can't see it, I can transcribe them.
Old 03-20-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

unfuckingbelievable. I like David O. Russell's movies, but he seems like a total jerkoff.
Old 03-20-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Yikes
Old 03-20-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy crap that was awesome. I thought Tomlin was being a bit bitchy, but that guy went flipping insane. I almost lost my drink when he walked out the back and came through the side door... WHY DON'T YOU ACT LIKE A GROWN UP!!!!

Probably the greatest on-set rant I've ever seen, I loved watching the other actors and crew just act like nothing was going on, then leave in a big group at the end. I actually want to see what this movie turned out to be after that, that was fantastic. Thanks OP.
Old 03-20-07, 04:37 PM

That is absolutely hilarious. I heard a story about him George Clooney getting into a fight on Three Kings. I never really put that much stock in it until now.
Old 03-20-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Tomlin actually did a pretty good job of keeping her composure during that rant, I would have gone off on him something terrible if I were her, if he had called me a ****!
Old 03-20-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bravesmg
Holy crap that was awesome. I thought Tomlin was being a bit bitchy...

Thats what I was thinking too, and then WHAMMMY... IM INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-07, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Tomlin actually did a pretty good job of keeping her composure during that rant, I would have gone off on him something terrible if I were her, if he had called me a ****!
I'd suggest that you never play poker with Larry David.
Old 03-20-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The same thing happened on the set of Three Kings. He got in a fist fight with George Clooney. Russell has some major issues.
Old 03-20-07, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the description of the clip: "See?-Famous people are just like "regular" people, they are all assholes."
Old 03-20-07, 05:03 PM
Banned

I had heard the story about Clooney as well, but because he kinda downplayed it in an interview, I never put much stock in it. But wow.......I can't believe that guy.
Old 03-20-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert
The same thing happened on the set of Three Kings. He got in a fist fight with George Clooney. Russell has some major issues.
Now THAT would be some leaked footage I'd like to see!
Old 03-20-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts
AM I FUCKING YELLING!!!!! I'VE NEVER FUCKING YELLED AT YOU!!!!!! I'd hate to hear him when he's yelling.

Taken alone, it's hard to tell who's the asshole: Russell or Tomlin. But with the Clooney incident, I think I'd have to side with Tomlin on this one. Hoffman is so calm and cool though
Old 03-20-07, 05:37 PM

Here are a couple more of Lily in the car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iASkg0ZrnDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-4_OsaA3pE
Old 03-20-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pretty good stuff. While Tomlin did seem to start it with her cursing streak on the set, he certainly had more anger and passion behind his attack. Then there's the altercation with George Clooney in which he apparently tried to strangle him plus this that I got off of Wikipedia:

"Not long after this, an altercation occurred at a Hollywood party between Russell and Christopher Nolan (Director of Batman Begins). During preproduction for Russell's film I ♥ Huckabees, Jude Law abandoned his commitment to the project to instead take the lead role in Nolan's film Memento. Russell was so infuriated that he had lost the star of his upcoming project that he retaliated at a Hollywood party by placing Christopher Nolan into a headlock. Russell refused to release the headlock until Nolan released Jude Law from the lead role of his film. Almost immediately afterward, Jude Law left the Memento project and returned to Russell's film."

At the very least he's certainly passionate about what he does. I hate reality shows but one centered on him snapping at people might actually be worth my time.

Edit: Heres a longer version of Lilly flipping out in the car which is apparently what set him off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z-qOKF0jmg
Old 03-20-07, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, in what order did these happen?
Old 03-20-07, 06:22 PM

Now these are the sort of things that should be replacing the dull beind-the-scene features on DVD.
Old 03-20-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither seem like pleasant individuals.
Old 03-20-07, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by DarthMarino

"Not long after this, an altercation occurred at a Hollywood party between Russell and Christopher Nolan (Director of Batman Begins). During preproduction for Russell's film I ♥ Huckabees, Jude Law abandoned his commitment to the project to instead take the lead role in Nolan's film Memento. Russell was so infuriated that he had lost the star of his upcoming project that he retaliated at a Hollywood party by placing Christopher Nolan into a headlock. Russell refused to release the headlock until Nolan released Jude Law from the lead role of his film. Almost immediately afterward, Jude Law left the Memento project and returned to Russell's film."
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
Old 03-20-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither seem like pleasant individuals.
From the clips, I think Tomlin is clearly frustrated with Russell and his way of directing. Not that I'm saying she's innocent, but the footage seem to point out that Russell likes to approach and shoot scenes in several different ways, which can throw some actors off.

So, in what order did these happen?
Most movies tend to be shot out of order, so it would be hard to tell. But if the movie was done chronologically, the car clip would be towards the end of the shoot, since you can see Mark Wahlberg in the corner, and you can hear Naomi Watts saying "I'm sorry" to Tomlin.
Old 03-20-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I can't believe that no one has ever bitch-slapped the shit out of this chicken neck goat fucker before.

In my world, there's pencil necked coward, and then there's David O. Russell.
Old 03-20-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's too bad. I really like his movies. Now I see why there's not more of them.
Old 03-20-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

that's pretty insane. talk about a rant!
Old 03-20-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
It's funny how in the one with Tomlin in the car, she even snaps at Naomi Watts and Dustin Hoffman. And Hoffman, being the pro he is, tries to diffuse it as best he can.

All the while, Whalberg and Hupperrt are just smirking at it all.

Russell is just not good with people, it seems.
Old 03-20-07, 08:32 PM
Banned

Tomlin seems to come off like a real Cu*t with a capital C...
I'm sorry but i don't think Russell is to blame here...
I also feel bad for Dustin Hoffman cause he seems to be just stunned by this chick screaming in his ear...
They must have made up though considering the participation of all of them on the fantastic 2-disk Huckabees DVD...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.