Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME (D: Mike Flanagan) S: Carla Gugino, Bruce Greenwood

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME (D: Mike Flanagan) S: Carla Gugino, Bruce Greenwood

Old 02-27-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What actress would make the perfect handcuff victim in Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME?

It would have to be the female version of Tom Hanks in the film Cast Away - watching one person for two hours, handcuffed to a bed (instead of stranded on a desert island).

Plot Synopsis: during a sex game between husband and wife, Gerald handcuffs his wife Jessie Burlingame to the bedpost in their secluded mountain cabin. Gerald puts the key to the handcuff on the dresser across the room from the bed, he gets naked (his wife is already naked) - long story short, Gerald suffers a fatal heart attack, and Jessie is locked to the bedpost. The rest of the story tells of her survival.

Now, I have two choices between who can play Jessie.

Choice #1: Vivica A Fox - she looks good, and while I know a film version will not have her naked (boooo!) she will at the very least have a skimpy bra on.

Choice #2:: can't think of who it was. I was dreaming about it last night, and I can't friggin' remember! Owell.

Last edited by dex14; 09-08-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If we have to look at them for two hours, make it Salma Hayek or Monica Bellucci.
Old 02-27-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
couldn't agree more.
Old 02-27-07, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Kate Winslet. She's got the acting ability to make it interesting, and she doesn't mind getting naked.
Old 02-27-07, 01:46 PM

Is this being made into a film? Anyway how about Maria Bello, Laura Linney or Helen Hunt?

Last edited by OwlAtHome; 02-28-07 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hubba-hubba, how about Jane March (from "Color of Night" with Bruce Willis)
Old 02-27-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
how about Laura Linney or Helen Hunt?
NOOO! Not sexy enough!
Old 02-27-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Helen Mirren or Judi Dench.
Old 02-27-07, 03:14 PM

Peter O'Toole

wait...no

Jennifer Connelly
Old 02-27-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I wonder why it's taken so long to make this movie. The events happen the same time as Dolores Claireborne.
Old 02-27-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A movie like this would have to be made very carefully. It can easily be a bore-fest if not done the right way, by the right screenwriter, by the right director, by the right actress.

but just think of it - middle of summer, the girl is sweating to death, she's naked from the waist up, the sweat is glistening off her skin, her rib cage is visible, her breasts heaving...
Old 02-27-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
but just think of it - middle of summer, the girl is sweating to death, she's naked from the waist up, the sweat is glistening off her skin, her rib cage is visible, her breasts heaving...
Bondage fetish much?
Old 02-28-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carla Gugino
Old 02-28-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
While I'd love to see most of the actresses mentioned in this thread in bed for an entire film I don't think any of them have the acting chops to carry an entire movie solo ala Hanks in Cast Away. OwlatHome is probably closest with mentions of Helen Hunt or Maria Bellow. Sorry buttmunker, Helen Hunt is yummy.

Only person that comes to mind for me is Jodie Foster.

That being said, Gerald's Game is easily King's worst book so a movie translation can go nowhere but up.
Old 02-28-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I represent the other side, and I think the book was one of his best! Great psychological thriller. A "what would you do?"
Old 02-28-07, 10:35 AM

I went into Gerald's Game knowing that most fans considered it his worst. But from the first couple of pages, I knew it was going to be one of his best and I felt this sentiment when I was done with the book too. King's prose has never been better than it was here and he does a better job of maintaining the tension than he does in most of his other books. The coda (last 20-30 pages or so) seemed a bit unnecessary, but this book is easily top 5 King for me.
Old 02-28-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
For me, its one of his best books.

For casting, I agree 100% on Jodie Foster, however, for the pure "she'll be nude for most of teh film", Scarlett Johansenn.
Old 02-28-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I once again petition Jane March. C'mon, girl! Expose em again, you need the money. Jane, watch as the yo-yo goes back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, you're getting sleeeeeepy...you neeeeeed the mooooneeeeeyyy!
Old 03-05-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, since it seems you're talking specifically about looks, I'll say Kate Beckinsale or Halle Berry. For reference to Kate, check out Laurel Canyon. For Halle, check out a number of films.
Old 03-05-07, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Diane Lane would be perfect.
Old 03-05-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Diane Lane would be perfect.
That's another good one.

There is definitely a clear line right through the middle of this thread with most people just posting who they would like to see naked and people posting serious suggestions of actresses who can, you know, actually act.

My breakdown based on what's been suggested so far(best to worst):

Great (can probably carry the movie solo)
Jodie Foster
Monica Bellucci
Helen Hunt
Diane Lane

Good (can probably work with the right director)
Maria Bello
Jennifer Connelly
Kate Winslet
Salma Hayek
Laura Linney

Okay (if the movie is done in a campy way)
Scarlett Johansson
Kate Beckensale
Halle Berry
Vivica A. Fox
Jane March

I think those just posting hot actresses need to realize that NONE of them, on this entire list will do a movie where they are naked through the course of the film(except Ms. March). Bra & panties, maybe, or some type of non-revealing lingerie. So it will all boil down to acting.
Old 03-05-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kathy Bates
Old 03-05-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
You compare the part to Hanks in Castaway, but that was about more than just being able to watch the lone actor for two hours, it was about Hanks physical transformation.

How long is this woman chained to the radiator?
Old 03-05-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe she'll be there for 4 years, and she has to snack on her husbands corpse to stay alive, and she gets really skinny and grows a beard and becomes friends with her vibrator that lays on the table next to her, and names it "Duracell". She is heartbroken one day when it falls off the table and turns itself on, she knows she can do nothing to stop it from wasting it's batteries until it's dead.

Then one day a family friend decides to check on her after not seeing her for 4 years and hoping everything is ok, and she is set free. But this is the life she has become accustomed to, so she murders her friend and goes to jail. Secretly, though, this is what she wants, as dark enclosed spaces are all she can even tolerate. This sets it up for the twist ending....Gerald's not dead. That's right, even though she ate most of his corpse, he managed to survive. And he wants REVENGE.

Or something along those lines.
Old 09-08-16, 01:34 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: What actress would make the perfect handcuff victim in Stephen King's GERALD'S GA

I guess this is a good place to put this...

Exclusive: Mike Flanagan looks forward to doing justice to Stephen King’s GERALD’S GAME

With OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL ready for its October release, director Mike Flanagan is confident that his long-mooted adaptation of Stephen King’s novel GERALD’S GAME will get off the ground next. And he’s committed to doing right by the book—about a woman left handcuffed to a bed in a remote cabin after a sex romp with her husband goes awry—knowing that the track record of King movies has been the definition of uneven.

“Stephen King has been my hero since I was a child,” Flanagan tells RUE MORGUE, “and one of the things about being a fan of his is that I’m used to the familiar heartbreak of seeing his film adaptations and feeling like something’s gone off, and that the source material I love so much has not translated properly—with obvious exceptions. It’s just that for every SHAWSHANK or GREEN MILE or STAND BY ME, you’ve got…the others, that really hurt! It’s very important for me, as a fan, not to end up in that pile. I loved GERALD’S GAME from the minute I put it down; I had gooseflesh all over my arms and my neck when I finished it, and I remember just exhaling and saying, ‘I want to make this into a movie—and it’s unfilmable!’ [laughs] and shaking my head, thinking, ‘If I could crack this, this could be one of the greatest King adaptations of them all.’ ”

Flanagan’s involvement with GERALD’S GAME (which he scripted with his regular collaborator Jeff Howard) was first announced in 2014, shortly before he began working on a secret project that turned out to be the superior stalker film HUSH. That movie’s great success as a Netflix premiere earlier this year, the director says, has helped push GERALD’S GAME closer to fruition. “I view HUSH, actually, as my most successful movie,” Flanagan says. “All of Netflix’s numbers are proprietary, so I don’t get to look at them, but the way I’ve heard people talking, it’s been viewed an amazing number of times, and the reception has been very, very positive. Coincidentally, Stephen King watched HUSH at home on Netflix and tweeted about it, which kind of blew my mind. And that got us talking about GERALD’S GAME again.

“If you know the source material,” he continues, “you’ll know there are a lot of challenges inherent in that story. Not so much the narrative challenges of how to adapt it; it took me 10 years of constantly thinking about the book to crack the cinematic version. But it’s a real challenge for financiers and distributors, who say, ‘Yeah, we love your work, we love Stephen King, but this story, this particular story? We don’t know how it works,’ without reshaping it to fit a much more conventional structure, which I did not want to do. And Netflix, because of how well HUSH has done, said, ‘We’re really interested in this, and we’d like to do it the way you want to do it.’ And that eliminated the pressure of having to test-screen the movie and define the demographic that’s going to watch it—all of that stuff that typically comes into the conversation when you’re trying to figure out how to market a film for a wide theatrical release. It just cleared the table, so that I can make the movie I want to make. I’m hoping very much that we can get that movie up on its feet soon.”

As of now, Flanagan (who hasn’t heard any updates on when his horror/fantasy BEFORE I WAKE, which recently got bumped out of its fourth release date, will hit theaters) isn’t sure how involved King himself will be in the GERALD’S GAME feature. “That’s going to be entirely up to him. From what I’ve heard, sometimes he’s very involved when it comes to approvals and things like that, and sometimes he can be more hands-off. So I guess that remains to be seen. I would personally want him to be as involved as he possibly wants to be. And I think the more Stephen is involved, the more he’ll see the reverence that I have for this book. I would love for him to be part of this, and I hope he will be.” Keep your eyes here for further updates on GERALD’S GAME.
http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-pos...E2%80%99S-GAME

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.