Reload this Page >

The Dresden Files - "The Boone Identity" 1/28/07

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-28-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plot - A man hires Harry when he thinks he is being haunted by his daughter who was killed in a robbery.

I won't be able to catch tonight's show, so I'll have to see it on one of the million repeats from Sci-Fi. I'm glad that they repeat it so often, because On Demand sucks ass... the only Sci Fi program available on Comcast On Demand is Battlestar Galactica.
Old 01-28-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ended up staying home tonight, so I was able to catch the show. Not as solid as last week's episode. It also looks like they're drifting away from the plot in the novels about the Council wanting practicioners of magic to conceal their art from normal people.
Old 01-29-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
...I'm glad that they repeat it so often, because On Demand sucks ass... the only Sci Fi program available on Comcast On Demand is Battlestar Galactica.
VCR or DVD+/-R. Or get a DVR. I went with Dish Networks' twin-tuner DVR a month ago, I love it.

As for this show, I watched a part of the first Dresden Files and liked it but I haven't found the time to finish it, or the second Dresden Files (which I also recorded).
Old 01-30-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The show is entertaining. But nothing that I would freak out about if I missed it. I'm going to keep watching in hopes that it picks up a bit more with the mythos of the books.
Old 01-30-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never read the books, but do agree this show needs some kind of overall plot to drive it.
Old 01-30-07, 09:01 AM

My guess is that they'll fill in a lot of holes for the non-book readers once the pilot episode airs. I really like the direction they decided to go with Bob.
Old 03-30-07, 01:55 AM

Just wanted to pimp this series a little, I'm having a lot of fun with this series. Sarcastic-smart, sincere, nice storytelling, hot chicks, funky scifi channel effects; I'm a simple man and it's all here for me in this series.

I really hope this finds a consistent audience.
Old 03-30-07, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Ive watched a few mins here and there after BSG, but havent watched a full ep yet, but will try to catch the next one. I think im still mad it doesnt star Billy Zane, which is who I thought it was when I first glanced at the preview ads
Old 08-07-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
And now the show is canceled:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...-Fis/800019821

I bought the DVD set today to catch up, but not even sure if I should bother now.
Old 08-07-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
This show started to pretty good near the end. With this cancelled, SG-1 cancelled, and BSG done next year. Why isn't there more science fiction on TV nowadays?
Old 08-07-07, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
And now the show is canceled:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...-Fis/800019821

I bought the DVD set today to catch up, but not even sure if I should bother now.
Well, the set is #23 on Amazon's bestseller list today with an average review of 5 stars, so at least some people like the show. Maybe high DVD sales will make them reconsider.

Personally, I like the first season, even though the first couple of shows were a little weak. I also didn't agree with them airing the episodes out of order. But as the season winded down, I thought it got a lot better and I was really hoping for a second season. Oh well, it's not the first series I've liked that got canceled and it won't be the last.
Old 08-08-07, 05:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I enjoyed this too and agree it was getting better near the end of the season. At least it led me to the books which I've enjoyed so far.
Old 08-09-07, 02:22 AM

Wow, this really sucks! Once again, I fall in love with a show (thanks to my love, tickle-punishment for her later) only to have it dashed, I really hate that.

Should we send in peanuts to have the studio reconsider?!

Seriously, I loved the quirky characters and unique storylines; frankly, I'm desperate for some sci-fi and this was an excellent fix.
Old 08-12-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:sigh: I have read all of the books and was excitedly looking forward to this DVD release. Very bummed it will be the only one.
Old 08-12-07, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say I'm not surprised. The target audience - you know, the people that read the books - abandoned the show in droves because of how bad the translation was. I only lasted about 4 eps before I gave up.

It would have been a good show if they had just tossed Jim Butcher some money for the inspiration and called it something else. I'm sure the only thing that kept Butcher from complaining about how badly they raped his books was the fact that they could have sued the hell out of him and won if he said anything negative about it.

To anyone that hasn't tried the books yet, do yourself a favor and buy them. Harry isn't the simpering wimp that he is in the series. He's a legit badass wizard that scares the hell out of a lot of powerful beings. The character development has been top-notch also. Of the first 8 books, #'s 2-8 are all on the Amazon 3 for 4 deal.
Old 08-13-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I have to say I'm not surprised. The target audience - you know, the people that read the books - abandoned the show in droves because of how bad the translation was. I only lasted about 4 eps before I gave up.

It would have been a good show if they had just tossed Jim Butcher some money for the inspiration and called it something else. I'm sure the only thing that kept Butcher from complaining about how badly they raped his books was the fact that they could have sued the hell out of him and won if he said anything negative about it.

To anyone that hasn't tried the books yet, do yourself a favor and buy them. Harry isn't the simpering wimp that he is in the series. He's a legit badass wizard that scares the hell out of a lot of powerful beings. The character development has been top-notch also. Of the first 8 books, #'s 2-8 are all on the Amazon 3 for 4 deal.
I just finished watching the first disc of the set and i can see what you are talking about. They made some big changes (but i was expecting those since Butcher had said on his website that the show was basically an alternate universe to his books) but they also made some really weird minor changes that for the life of me I couldn't find a reason.

It is a shame if they made Harry out to be a wimp. I liked in the book that he regularly got his ass kicked but he always fought well. I'll be especially bummed if the books never go into the Faerie Courts - those were my favorite of the books.

So yeah, i'll second the recommendation to read the books. They are great modern fantasy.
Old 08-14-07, 01:18 AM

Well, I guess something good came from this; I will now go back and read through all the books. Still pissed about this cancellation...
Old 08-16-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never read the books...without knowing the character and watching this purely as a sci-fi TV show, I thought it was great...The loss of this show, SG-1, BSG next year and the up and not so coming Flash Gordon, and Sci-fi is headed south quickly... with only SG-A and Eureka as the only good shows left, not only in content but in quality........
Old 08-17-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by theedge
Never read the books...without knowing the character and watching this purely as a sci-fi TV show, I thought it was great...The loss of this show, SG-1, BSG next year and the up and not so coming Flash Gordon, and Sci-fi is headed south quickly... with only SG-A and Eureka as the only good shows left, not only in content but in quality........
If I had never read the books, I would have loved Dresden Files. I had only read the first book when the pilot aired, so I enjoyed watching it. I then started devouring the books, though, so by ep 4 I gave up on the TV series.

As for losing BSG next year, that's a godsend. We had 2 great seasons, then the hype got out and more people started watching. That made Sci-Fi execs do their usual "this show is too smart for our viewers" song and dance, and the series got severely dumbed down. Pretty much everything that drew me to BSG was trashed in season 3.
Old 08-18-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was very interested in the show and wouldnt mind getting the S1 set but a question for those who saw everthing.

Does the series stand good alone or are there alot of unanswered questions and did it have a cliffhanger sort of ending and all that.
Old 08-18-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far i have watched all but the last 2 episodes and there haven't really been plot points i can imagine being unresolved. There actually isn't much of a continuing storyline episode to episode.

That isn't bad though in my book. I have enjoyed everything in the series so far.