Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dissapointed with some of the suggestions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Guys,

I joined this forum last year around october. And in oneof my threads was about must have horrors. a lot of people had listed their suggestions. After going through the list. I made my first purchase from DDD during thier sale for the suggested titles that some of you had mentioned.

I am however disapointed to have bought those dvd's. I watched all those dvd's duirng the holidays. And I can tell you only one or two DVD were worth the money.

I Madman
Candyman
Serpent and Rainbow
Suspiria
The Vanishing
Lets scare jessica to death
Picnic at the hanging rock
Uzumaki
etc etc etc.

Out of this whole list. I think Suspiria is the worst movie I have ever seen.

I wanted something that would really scare me. I am not saying anything bad about you guys, its just that I had a lot of hopes from these dvd's and its not worth buying them.

I recently watched The Decent and that is worth spending the money on.

Anyways, I hope no one takes this in a wrong way. Its hard being a student to buy DVD, and its very upsetting when they are not worth it. Maybe that's the reason why I am getting upset.

Anyways, I am trying to find a way to sell these DVD's so I can get some of my money back.

Sorry for the frustration in this post.
Old 01-17-07, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sid369
I think Suspiria is the worst movie I have ever seen.

Heresy! Just kidding, to each their own.

But most people consider Suspiria to be a horror masterpiece. I'd be curious to read your thoughts on the film?

Last edited by Groucho; 01-17-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for every person that loves suspiria, there are some that hate it. for every person that loves the shining there are some that hate it, blair witch, saw, hanging rock, wicker man etc.

maybe you need to find a favorite reviewer or poster that seems to have the same tastes as you and then just follow them. when you ask a wide variety of different kinds of people to recommend something, youre gonna get people with really crappy tastes telling you that the blair witch is the best scariest movie ever, and the ring remake, and chainsaw massacre 2003 too. youll usually end up with the results you just had.

there will always be someone that suggests suspiria, if they dont, its a pretty crappy horror forum.
Old 01-17-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you should have rented first, instead of blowing all your cash on blind buys. That is how I long ago discovered what a terrible film Suspiria was.
Old 01-17-07, 02:34 PM

Are you on Netflix? That's a great way to see movies and not have to buy them. Blind buying tons of DVDs can get expensive (but EVERYONE here knows that right )
Old 01-17-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Ditto to the previous suggestions -- you really need to join the wonderful world of DVD rental. Blind buying based on suggestions is always a gamble (especially if you are short of money).

Horror in particular is a polarizing genre. I love Suspiria, but I've shown it others and I've sometimes gotten a "How can you like that crap?" response, in addition to the "That was great! Do you have other movies like that?" response. I can enjoy the movie on a purely visual and auditory level. The colors, the shot design, the editing, the music and sound effects. Watching Suspiria is going through a great horror funhouse for me, and I don't get tired of watching it. But I understand why people might hate it: there's a minimal and illogical plot, bad acting/dubbing, some cheesy effects. The very things I love about the movie (look and music) others find overbearing.

Looking back at your older thread, you got a variety of suggestions, some good, some bad (IMO). "I Madman" or "Let's Scare Jessica to Death" certainly wouldn't top a list of must-see horror for me. The American version of "The Vanishing" sucks (while the foreign version is excellent, in a low-key way). "Serpent and the Rainbow" is an interesting but flawed Wes Craven movie. I love "Uzumaki" but it's off-the-wall weird, and not for all tastes. I also love "Picnic on Hanging Rock", but is not really horror and again is not for all tastes. "Candyman" is a fine movie, and I'd hope that's one of the ones you thought was worth buying. Other suggestions in that thread included Dog Soldiers, The Eye, Phone, Tale of Two Sisters, early John Carpenter, Black Christmas (original), early Cronenberg, The Others, Exorcist 3, The Changeling, The Shining, Ghost Story, Session 9, 28 Days Later, old Val Lewton movies. Those are all good-to-great movies IMO. If you think they all sucked, there's not much I can say to help you.

Last edited by brainee; 01-17-07 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've gave the almighty Suspiria 4 chances throughout the years and it still does nothing for me, except for maybe the last 10 minutes.
Old 01-18-07, 10:05 AM

Thanks for joining the discussion, I know I should not have made a blind buy, but my reasoning is why do you want to rent it fro almost $5 from Blockbuster etc and then again pay to buy the DVD. why not buy the DVD and not rent it.
I thought that the suggestions I would get from this forum whould be worth the blind buy. However, I have learnt my lessons now. No blind buys anymore.
Old 01-18-07, 10:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are the two that you liked?
Old 01-18-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not buy the DVD and not rent it. .
So you dont end up in the same boat you are in now...

I thought that the suggestions I would get from this forum whould be worth the blind buy.
You sure havent been on this forum too long
Old 01-18-07, 11:45 AM

One was Session 9 and the other may be Dog soldier.
Old 01-18-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Session 9 is one of the single best horror films the last decade or so. It reminds me of the Shining.
Old 01-18-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
One was Session 9 and the other may be Dog soldier.
If you liked Session 9, the director's most recent movie "The Machinist" may be of interest. Another one that I just rewatched on HDNet is a highly regarded head-trip horror movie: "Jacob's Ladder".
Old 01-19-07, 01:49 AM

The Machinist is great, though not a horror film. It's also typically a one watch kind of film.

I never cared for Dog Solider, but thought The Descent was excellent (same director).

Session 9 for the win!
Old 01-19-07, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok Guys,

I joined this forum last year around october. And in oneof my threads was about must have horrors. a lot of people had listed their suggestions. After going through the list. I made my first purchase from DDD during thier sale for the suggested titles that some of you had mentioned.

I am however disapointed to have bought those dvd's. I watched all those dvd's duirng the holidays. And I can tell you only one or two DVD were worth the money.

I Madman
Candyman
Serpent and Rainbow
Suspiria
The Vanishing
Uzumaki
etc etc etc.

I wanted something that would really scare me. I am not saying anything bad about you guys, its just that I had a lot of hopes from these dvd's and its not worth buying them.

Anyways, I hope no one takes this in a wrong way. Its hard being a student to buy DVD, and its very upsetting when they are not worth it. Maybe that's the reason why I am getting upset.

Anyways, I am trying to find a way to sell these DVD's so I can get some of my money back.

Did you watch my recommendations?

28 Days Later
Event Horizon
Old 01-19-07, 02:49 AM

Blind buys are bad idea. I like Rawhead Rex, Hellraiser 1,2 & 3, Evil Dead and the first Phantasm movie. You may not. And while it won't scare you, Eraserhead will linger with you. XD

On-line rentals are your friend. I had to get by on the 5 vhs tapes for $5 from mom and pop video stores. Good times. ^^ Shoot, now I wanna see Lair of the White Worm and From Beyond again.

Anyhoo, Netflix and Blockbuster have 3 dvds out at time for 17.99 plus sales tax. BB might be better since you can take dvds the store and exchange them for in-store rentals. There are 2 weeks trials for both so give it a shot.
Old 01-19-07, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I haven't rented for years but this week I got a urge to venture back into renting and of the movies I took home was "The Decent"...based on the rave reviews/worship here on dvdtalk. Man was I let down big time. Other than the speculation about the film and it's ending, it was your normal everyday Chicks in danger/ Chicks die horror flick with 30 year old fake scare scenes.
Old 01-19-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Join Blockbuster online or Netflix, $18/month for 3 rentals at a time, unlimited rotations, great selection. Will save you from wasting cash on the truly terrible movies...
Old 01-20-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Its hard being a student to buy DVD
Yeah, here's the rub. Those of us who do a lot of blind-buying usually don't have to worry where our money is going. I also try to keep expectations low. Not every movie is going to hit a home run, so I won't be super-critical (I've found very few movies that really scared me but I will appreciate a good effort). I also adjust my level of expectation based on the type of horror and who's directing it.

Anywho, as has been mentioned, sounds like Netflix would suit you better.
Old 01-20-07, 10:43 AM

The only reason I quit doing blind buys was because of space. I use to blind buy games and DVD's and it simply became a space issue. I got tired of having an entire room of nothing but movies.
Old 01-20-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok Guys,

I Madman
Candyman
Serpent and Rainbow
Suspiria
The Vanishing
Uzumaki
etc etc etc.

You must have allot of money to blow. I would try Netflix first next time.
Old 01-20-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Reaper
I've gave the almighty Suspiria 4 chances throughout the years and it still does nothing for me, except for maybe the last 10 minutes.
If you're not into Suspiria after the first fifteen minutes, I don't think you'll enjoy the other eighty minutes. The crane shot revealing the aftermath of the first murder might easily be one of the greatest shots in the history of film. It nearly rivals that of the crane shot in Argento's Tenebre that circles the entire house showing all of the action inside of it before the two roommates are killed.
Old 01-20-07, 11:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Always take suggestions with a grain of salt. I think Suspiria is a great film...but I also like Nightmare City just as much.
Old 01-22-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Picnic AT Hanging Rock

Does not belong on a horror list... to bad you got suckered into buying one of the most overrated piles ever made. IMHO of course...
Old 01-22-07, 01:00 PM

It looks like, there are quite a few people who have made blind buys and were dissapointed. I know that everyone has their own taste speciall when it comes to Horror.
I like to keep an open mind but movie like cat people, the vanishing,suspiria, picnic at the hanging rock to name is few is not my type.
I don't mind the movie being slow, but it has to offer something at the end at least,so that it is worth the watch.
Can anyone remember the last movie that they saw and were truely scared even if it was for one scene and it lingered in their minds.

I was reluctant to watch SAW, becuase with the promos it looked like it was going to be all blood and gore, which it was but the story made sense to show all that and I am fine with that.

I have also seen event Horizon, but I don't understand how that movie falls in the the Horror Genre. I think its more of a Sci-fi/thriller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.