Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Details on "The Protector" 2 disc ultimate edition coming out jan 16!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-07-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note: Includes U.S. and original Thai versions with 27 extra minutes. (now if this is via seamless branching or each cut per disc, I am not sure.

2-Disc - Keep Case
Widescreen
Additional Release Material:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes -
1. Tony Jaa Martial Arts Demonstration
2. No Wires Attached: Making the Protector

so it looks like we will get to see the full length version of the movie (the USA version has plot holes galore.)

Here's a list of changes
Spoiler:

- Opening narration is simplified, and now includes multiple Muay Thai references and introduces Jaa’s character as “Cam.”
- The spirituality angle to the whole film has been eliminated. All the Buddhist material in the opening has been cut.
- To get to the action quickly, the opening 20 minutes of the film has been sliced down to about 10.
- Most of (not all) the bone breaking sound effects have been toned down considerably.
- The animal rights/sympathy angle has been deleted. The protest newscast has been cut.
- “Mark” the cop; his whole introduction sequence including the comedic bit with the earpiece at the barbershop and the convenience store bust (which pays off later in the film) has been cut. Basically, his whole character has been gutted by the new edit.
- Same with the prostitute who helps Cam. She’s essentially a random golden ticket now, helping Cam when he gets into trouble.
- Here’s a huge change: all references to Madam Rose’s transsexuality have been excised.
- Mark’s escape from the mud bath massacre on a Segway is gone.
- Most of the news broadcasts are deleted.
- Bad boy Johnny exits the film after Rose chastises him from her bath, not at the end of the film in a lobby shootout.
- Temple dialog scene cut, but the water fight remains.
- The bits involving Rose’s spiritual power harvested from the dead elephant have been lifted out of the final fight sequence.
- And this one cut leaves me perplexed: at the end of the film, the baby elephant is still tossed by the enormous bad guys, but all the shots where it breaks through a glass window have been cut. I mean, the thing lives! Why cut that out?
Give a shout out to Brian Orndorf for pointing out the cuts.
Old 01-07-07, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already have it and I will write a review of it if people want it sooner.
Disc 1 is the US version
Disc 2 is the international version

I haven't had time to see all of both cuts to compare, or the special features but I'll do it as soon as I can.
Old 01-07-07, 03:33 PM

Don't go near the US cut.

It hacks the film to pieces.
Old 01-07-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Isn't there a Bey Logan audio commentary as well?
Old 01-07-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by breadlymoore
Don't go near the US cut.

It hacks the film to pieces.
Its not a great film to begin with, but you're right, the US cut takes a huge chunk of the plot out and what little motivations people had in the original are completely gone!
Old 01-08-07, 06:11 AM

For the ones who already have the Dragon Dynasty verison, is the spine numbered like the first 2 Dragon Dynasty releases, Kill Zone and Police Story? Don't know if it's #3 or #4 because of them releasing Seven Swords the same day.
Old 01-08-07, 08:34 PM

protector is 3 and swords is 4

I was wondering what those were. it looked like one of those R3 ratings of the 18
Old 01-08-07, 10:45 PM

Well,

Looks like I'm not getting rid of my UK disc.

http://adg.invisionzone.com/index.ph...=0&#entry15016
Old 01-09-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the Korean DVD, I think I'll still get the american disc for subbed extras.
Old 01-09-07, 02:28 PM

i've def picking this one up, but how have the other dragon dynasty releases been?
Old 01-09-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Uncut or not, the ONLY reason to see this film is Tony Jaa, and the fight scenes are unbelievable!
Old 01-09-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Originally Posted by wennma01
i've def picking this one up, but how have the other dragon dynasty releases been?
#1 Kill Zone aka SPL
#2 Police Story

That's it so far
Old 01-16-07, 07:27 AM

Is this better than Onk Bang?
Old 01-16-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by OutRun2
Is this better than Onk Bang?

No it is not IMHO
Old 01-18-07, 09:13 AM
Cool New Member

Has anyone here watched the uncut version of the movie in the US DVD release? I've got a question regarding that cheesy CG sequence later on in the movie. The father narrates the dream sequence, and based on the subtitles, at one point, the kid asks a question. You never actually hear the kid's voice though. All that you get are the subtitles for what he supposedly said and then the father continues talking. Is is supposed to be like that?
Old 01-18-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which subtitle track did you have on? There are 2, one has the entire movie subtitled (including the english) and the second one only has subs for the thai. I browsed through the uncut version but havent' watched it in full. There's a featurette on disc one that proves for a fact that the long 4 minute fight up the hotel was shot in one take (granted it took 5 tries to get everything right)
Old 01-18-07, 03:15 PM
Cool New Member

I had the subtitle track with the English and Thai going. I must have missed the one that was Thai only.
Old 01-18-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I watched this last night and wish I'd know about the second track that sub'd only the Thai, it was distracting to see the English too, although the accents were tough. I watched the Thai cut and was interested to read about the changes that the American version had that changed parts of the story.

Overall, this movie had some great action but the story was pretty weak. Disregarding the whole "for the elephants" thing, which is fine, just not traditional, I thought the movie was a bit convoluted and didn't mix with the bang-out fight scenes.

I'm glad I "rented exclusively at Blockbuster" and the dvd seemed very good, good idea with the Dragon Dynasty. I chose not to watch the hour plus of featurettes but it is there for fans.

The Protector (Thai Cut) - C+