The Punisher(Dolph & Gossett) $3.99
Heaven Can Wait $3.00
Benny & Joon $3.00
Return to Me $3.00
Heartbreakers $3.00
Dragon Inn(Special Edition) $5.00
Rudolph & the Island of Misfit Toys $3.00
The Majestic $3.00

These are all in widescreen. They had some other stuff too but I can't remember all the titles.
Old 10-08-06, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice finds. The Punisher has been OOP for quite some time.
Old 10-08-06, 02:11 AM
Cool New Member

I remember seeing Constantine at my nearest Big Lots.
Old 10-08-06, 08:18 AM

I was at the Kirby Big Lot's in Houston friday and they added a display table full of DVD's $1,$3 and $5 in addition to the normal four sided upright rack. Noticed under the table that there were eight open but not empty boxes labeled various flipcases. The assortment is varied with some decent buys - $3 Bull Durham $5 True Grit, plus those already mentioned and a number of others that I can't remember.
Old 10-08-06, 04:07 PM

Patriot Games $5
Clear And Present Danger $3
Air Force One $5
Incredible Mr Limpet $5
Wedding Planner $5
Sabrina (Bogart) $5
Meet John Doe $1

Many other titles also...
Old 10-13-06, 02:05 PM

I hit the Big Lots in the Sacramento area (Carmichael, Greenback Lane, Northgate Blvd) and could not find Benny & Joon (birthday present for wife)...they did have Danielle Steele telemovies, Million Dollar Baby and a lot of dvds in the $5 range.
Old 10-13-06, 03:28 PM

Very odd... there are 2 Big Lots in my town and I have NEVER, EVER seen one single DVD (other than the $1 public domain cartoon discs) on sale at either one of them. Are they in some secret department that I just can't find? I know "YMMV," but sheesh!
Old 10-13-06, 09:13 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've never seen any good titles at ours. Just the public domain ones. Anyone from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that knows of a good Big Lots?
Old 10-14-06, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Big Lots nearest to me always has great deals on DVDs. I usually see new titles every time I go in there.

I've seen a bunch of newer release titles for $4.99 like all the matrix 2 Disc sets, Torque, and other things like that. They also have a good range of independent films and sometimes even some box sets.

The best deal I've seen there lately has to be: At last the 1948 Show (2 Disc) and Do Not Adjust Your Set (2 Disc). I believe both are the complete series of the two shows from the late 1960's that starred most of the Monty Python cast and helped to spawn that series. Both are 2 Disc sets with slip covers and some extras like intereviews and stuff. The kicker is they were both $2.99 each!!!!! By far one of the best Big Lots deals I've found. The real time to check is a few weeks before Christmas.
Old 12-12-06, 03:38 PM

Just picked up "1st &Ten" complete collection for $6. They had about a dozen copies left.
Old 12-12-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chaarlieee
I remember seeing Constantine at my nearest Big Lots.
Which is where it should be.
Short of a furnace.

Ahem! Sorry. Just no movie I can think of has so disrespected its source character...anyway!

I'll second the pre-python shows, they're a decent watch.

I also found the film Shade, which I've yet to watch, but should at least be worth something based on the cast....something, anyway. Not necessarily a lot...but something.
Old 12-12-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw several copies of Black Scorpion II for $3 on my last visit.
Old 12-13-06, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ^MuYa^
Just picked up "1st &Ten" complete collection for $6. They had about a dozen copies left.

I saw these also and was tempted to blind buy it but then I searched out the price on the web and it's not such a good deal after all...

$6.63 @ Overstock...

Last edited by chard31; 12-13-06 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 08:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was at my local Big Lots early today and they didn't have any of these. I didn't spot any titles worth mentioning although my Big Lots does have some good deals at times. Back when the Mike Hammer series and Gun were available for $7.99 my local store had them.
Old 12-14-06, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ^MuYa^
I was at Big Lots yesterday, and my store also had about 8 copies of this. The price was lower than Ross ($9.99) where I've seen it, too. I was tempted to blind buy -- and then I remembered all the unopened dvds I have lying around at home and that I'd probably never get around to watching it, so I put it back.
Old 12-21-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I was at Big Lots the Tuesday night 12/19 and they had some pretty good $2 discs. I got The Creeping Flesh and Luc Besson's La Dernier Combat also for $2. They only had 1 copy of every title there which was a total of about 20 movies. I have the memory of a goldfish, so the only other one I remember was The Looking Glass War, which I already own, but it's a good movie. They had a couple of Anime titles, but it looked like mostly more arthouse type stuff.
Definitely worth battling the Xmas crowds to have a look.
Old 12-21-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a copy of the 1st and Ten complete series for $6. It's 6 seasons, 80 episodes, and $6 after shipping and everything is about as cheap as you'll ever find that. I also got a bunch of $2, $3, and $5 titles. For $2, I got the Korean action flick Tube and The Secret Lives of Dentists: Special Edition. For $3 I got The Big Picture with Kevin Bacon, and I also got the foreign film, My Wife is and Actress. For $5, I got the Canadian version of Neil Jordan's The Good Thief with Nick Nolte.
Old 12-22-06, 12:28 AM

Thanks for all the updates everyone...well, other than the fact that $6 for 1st & 10 sort of rubs salt in my eyes since I paid $19.99 for it. Still haven't opened it but it's been too long. I was happy to pay the $19.99 actually since I have very fond memories of watching that show all throughout my high school years. Jason Beigh(sp?) as the qb of the ...Bulls?. My memories are faded but it's still an all-time favorite show of mine.
Old 12-22-06, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to the ^MuYa^ on posting that First and 10 was available for $6 - picked up a couple for Christmas presents for some football crazy relatives - one of them who had been borrowing my set - now he has one of his own! If your a football fan, definiately worth the price! (Heck, the $14.99 I paid for mine online-Walmart was worth it!)

LB...
Old 12-22-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
I also found the film Shade, which I've yet to watch, but should at least be worth something based on the cast....something, anyway. Not necessarily a lot...but something.
THe one with Stallone? I thought it was pretty good.
Old 12-22-06, 10:21 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

A caveat on 1st & 10 (from Amazon comments):
Only a couple of episodes are the HBO versions. The rest are syndicated television versions with added laugh track, inappropriate trumpet flourishes and cutaways.
Old 12-22-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the titles mentioned in the last few posts are out of print Columbia/Tri-Star DVDs that DDD has been selling off for $5.98 a piece since March. (I knew I bought too many...)

I don't know how many Big Lots will get & don't think there's a complete list in this long thread, but it might give ideas on what to look for:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=Dernier
Old 12-23-06, 11:04 AM

wow! think we hit the mother lode. My wife called me from big lots and they had literally hundreds of films - many that I wanted. I checked the ratings on IMDB while she read them off to me and decided on getting anything with a rating of 7 or higher - she ended up getting 25 dvds for $60! Some have been on my want list for a while. Too many to remember, but here are some..

Snake in Eagle's Shadow (Jackie Chan - original language)
Hard Eight
Mr. Sardonicus (yeah!)
Subway (original language)
2 days in the valley,
Angels over broadway
The Secret Ballot (Iran)
lots of highly rated foreign films (from Argentina, Chile, France, Italy, Iran, Chech, etc.)

Can't remember them all. 99% of these were $2!!!!!

I have been wanting to get a lot of these foreign films for a while but didn't want to pay a lot of money for them - even $5 seems a lot to me now a days for a blind buy.. but for $2?

Woo hooo!

Last edited by Steve; 12-23-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-23-06, 11:45 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I went back to my nearby Big Lots last night to get some batteries and decided to re-check the titles, since it's cheaper than renting, but somebody cleaned them out. All the remaining $2 DVDs were gone.
Old 12-23-06, 09:01 PM

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Here's some of the titles I saw (they were all either $2 or $3):

Big Brass Ring
Bonjour Tristeste
Divorce American Style
Don't Raise the Bridge, Lower the River
La Dernier Combat
Fat City
Lady and the Duke
Man Called Sledge
Me Myself I
Me Without You
Secret Lives of Dentists
They Came to Cordura
Tokyo Joe
Virtual Sexuality
World Traveler
Wrong is Right

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.