Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Lynch's new film: INLAND EMPIRE

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-12-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from Variety

Lynch invades an 'Empire'

David Lynch is making a new movie with StudioCanal. In fact, he's already been shooting it under the radar for two years.

Titled "INLAND EMPIRE" (in capitals, though Lynch doesn't explain why), it stars Laura Dern, along with Justin Theroux, Harry Dean Stanton, Jeremy Irons and a host of others Lynch won't specify.

In fact, there's still very little the enigmatic Lynch is comfortable to reveal about the movie.

"It's about a woman in trouble, and it's a mystery, and that's about all I want to say about it," he comments diffidently.

The title refers to the bleak residential area on the edge of the desert near L.A. -- the antithesis of the tony locale of his last movie "Mulholland Drive."

Lynch has shot much of his latest film in Poland with local actors, after making friends with the organizers of the Camerimage festival in Lodz. He's now back shooting in and around Los Angeles.

Even at this relatively advanced stage of production, Lynch is cagey about when it will be finished. But it's understood that StudioCanal is aiming for a world preem at Cannes next year.

"Making a film is a beautiful mystery," Lynch says. "You go deep into the wood, and you don't want to come out of that wood, but the time is coming very soon when I will have to."

Lynch has financed the production to date from his own resources, with his wife and longtime artistic collaborator Mary Sweeney producing. The budget is unknown.

StudioCanal, which financed "Mulholland Drive" and "The Straight Story," has come aboard "INLAND EMPIRE" to handle worldwide sales.

Digital convert

What Lynch will reveal -- and indeed, waxes lyrical about -- is the fact that he's shooting the movie on digital video.

"I started working in DV for my Web site, and I fell in love with the medium. It's unbelievable, the freedom and the incredible different possibilities it affords, in shooting and in post-production."

"For me, there's no way back to film. I'm done with it," Lynch says. "I love abstraction. Film is a beautiful medium, but it's very slow and you don't get a chance to try a lot of different things. With DV, you get those chances. And in post-production, if you can think it, you can do it."

DV has clearly given Lynch the freedom from having to clarify his intentions -- to financiers, or even to himself -- before he starts shooting.

"The explaining of things in words is always a huge problem," he confesses.

He characterizes the DV production process as a journey of "huge exploration" to discover what his film will be.

"I'm writing as I go," he says. "I believe in the unity of things. When you have one part, and then a second part that doesn't relate to that first part, it's very curious to find that they do relate after all. It's a most beautiful thing."

He also believes that it produces a different kind of performances from actors. "When you run out of film, you have to stop and reload, and during that time the heat sometimes goes off. But with this medium you can keep that heat, and it builds, and it's beautiful to see."

He says that Dern, in particular, has benefited from this freedom. "She's the most incredible actress. Some people get roles and do their thing, but some have a lot more inside and don't usually get the chance to show it."

As for the quality of the DV image, Lynch says, "It looks different. Some would say it looks bad. But it reminds me of early 35mm, that didn't have that tight grain. When you have a poor image, there's lots more room to dream."

"But I've done tests transferring DV to film, and there are all kinds of controls to dial in the look you want."
Old 05-12-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Old 05-12-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
As for the quality of the DV image, Lynch says, "It looks different. Some would say it looks bad. But it reminds me of early 35mm, that didn't have that tight grain. When you have a poor image, there's lots more room to dream."

"But I've done tests transferring DV to film, and there are all kinds of controls to dial in the look you want."
Thanks for the update. It will be interesting to see this and to also see what it looks like.
Old 05-12-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet, I remember hearing things here and there about him filming something with Laura Dern, and with digital video. Fantastic to hear that it was all true. I'm just really happy Lynch is creating, and that he feels very free. The film should atleast be interesting to see where it goes.
Old 05-12-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by automator
"It's about a woman in trouble, and it's a mystery, and that's about all I want to say about it," he comments diffidently.
Shocking!
Old 05-12-05, 04:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

learned a new word today! Diffident.
Old 05-12-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds cool.
Old 05-12-05, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
You love 'em... you hate 'em... but there's nothing quite like a Lynch movie.
Old 05-12-05, 06:01 PM

He is a MAD genius.
http://www.davidlynch.com/dailyreport/

Last edited by Cygnet74; 05-12-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-12-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He is indeed. That made me smile, thanks Cygnet.
Old 05-12-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great to hear. If Lynch makes it, James will watch it. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-12-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is surprising to hear Lynch so wholeheartedly embrace DV...and he doesn't mean HD (hi-def)?!? I am eager to see what he does with it.

I used to say that I wouldn't prefer DV/HD until someone shot a Days Of Heaven or a Lawrence Of Arabia with it...being a painter and such a stickler for visual quality, Lynch might just finally be the one to sell me on the format.
Old 05-12-05, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jepthah
I used to say that I wouldn't prefer DV/HD until someone shot a Days Of Heaven or a Lawrence Of Arabia with it...being a painter and such a stickler for visual quality, Lynch might just finally be the one to sell me on the format.
i'm sure Lynch sees a certain beauty in the ugliness of video.
Old 05-12-05, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
Grrrr...that made my browser crash!
Old 05-13-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Old 05-13-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cygnet74

Unless you were a fan of or understood David Lynch, that would make no sense. Fortunately I am and it did!
Old 05-13-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Unless you were a fan of or understood David Lynch, that would make no sense. Fortunately I am and it did!
Explain for the wanna be fans/understanders
Old 05-13-05, 07:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bold prediction: Mainstream audiences who see this movie will complain that it is "weird" or that it "doesn't make any f**kin' sense".
Old 05-14-05, 10:09 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
I'm so stoked to read this, and disappointed that, at this point in Lynch's career, and after the popular success of TWIN PEAKS and the critical success of MULHOLLAND DRIVE, he still has to self-finance...
Old 05-14-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd ask what the movie was about, but something tells me I'll be asking that right after I saw the film anyway...
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'm so stoked to read this, and disappointed that, at this point in Lynch's career... he still has to self-finance...
The way I see it, he's just trying to minimize studio meddling. If Lynch said tomorrow that he'd do a studio film, most of them would jump at the chance.
Old 05-14-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Shocking!
lol, I know, I just love that plot summary.
Old 05-15-05, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
I'm so stoked to read this, and disappointed that, at this point in Lynch's career, and after the popular success of TWIN PEAKS and the critical success of MULHOLLAND DRIVE, he still has to self-finance...
I'm sure he prefers it, at least to an extent. Using studio money means losing the rights you have to make the film whatever you want. He would still have control of the overall story, most likely, as well as a much larger budget, but chances are slim to none that he would be able to shoot everything he wants.

...and Twin Peaks rules all.
Old 06-20-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pic from the new film?

I don't know why but this picture excites me about a new Lynch film coming. I can't wait.
Old 06-20-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who's the woman? Looks like a bit of a nod to Blue Velvet.
Old 06-20-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Her name is Chrysta Bell. That pic is up at her website.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.