Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Circuit City Removes HD-DVD titles?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from Circuit City and went to where the HD-DVD were located. But they were gone, only BluRay's were there. I asked an employee where the HD-DVD's were and after he first asked if I meant BluRay, he asked another employee 'Do we sell HD-DVDs'?
The employee replied, 'Just online'.

So. It seems that Circuit City has pulled HD-DVDs from the stores and only offer them over the internet. At least in Virginia Beach, VA. Is this old news or an isolated incident?

Keep in mind that the majority of Circuit City employees are clueless and the store could have had HD-DVD's behind a cell phone display or hidden elsewhere in the store without anyone there knowing.
D
Old 09-24-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Last week I tried to get Seabiscuit and was not able to find it. At this point, I am supporting only Amazon (and BB if Amazon doesn't carry the title). I am tired of driving 20 minutes to browse the racks at CC and not have them carrying anything.

I do wish Toshiba paid a bit more attention to retailers, it's quite obvious that they don't know what the hell they're doing and need some guidance.
Old 09-24-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Oh well, there's a Target next door to CC here, so i'll just give them my money instead.
No one ever accused CC of being the smartest amongst retailers.
Old 09-24-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CC doesn't carry Toshiba's home entertainment products so they aren't fully supporting HD-DVD. There's no players in stores and only a small selection of HD-DVDs at most stores. There is a big BluRay rack along with a demo for that format.
Old 09-24-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I noticed that my CC today had an endcap in the DVD section that was half BD and half HD. So, they're not pushing it hard, but it's there.
Old 09-24-06, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I do wish Toshiba paid a bit more attention to retailers, it's quite obvious that they don't know what the hell they're doing and need some guidance.
Or Sony is paying BB and CC a ton of money to push Blu Ray as apparent by most stores lack of HD displays. They showcase that $1000 Blue Ray player playing RV yet the HD players are mixed into the normal DVD section with 4 titles above it.
Old 09-24-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering how many times I went to CC to buy a SD title on sale and, of course, they were out of stock on release day, I'm not surprised by comments on this thread. They were usually a last resort to me for a good price. I welcome Target's decision to soon be selling hd-dvds at a fair price.
Old 09-25-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My store still carries almost every title. They are still located right in front of the checkout area in the movie department...
Old 09-25-06, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They told me that they weren't selling well since they didn't sell the players. Then they told me that BR was actually selling worse and they are selling those players, so who knows.

The 360 add-on might help get more titles in store. CC is a horrible store anyway. I always go there for new releases and they're always sold out.
Old 09-25-06, 10:27 AM
Banned

I popped into Circuit City yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see that they had set up a brand new stand-alone rack for HD-DVDs (before, they would just mix them in with regular DVDs). The rack was prominently displayed and very well stocked (they
had Seabiscuit, for example).
Old 09-25-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think my CC ever had HD-DVD.
Old 09-25-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rusty James
I popped into Circuit City yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to see that they had set up a brand new stand-alone rack for HD-DVDs (before, they would just mix them in with regular DVDs). The rack was prominently displayed and very well stocked (they
had Seabiscuit, for example).
There is one about 40 minutes away that usually stocks stuff. I made the drive for Good Night and Good Luck since I was in the area but when I went back for Seabiscuit they didn't have it. I'm done with them. Once they actually stock stuff and sell them at a decent price, I'll be back. Not for the time being though.
Old 09-25-06, 06:04 PM

At my store here (BestBuy)... I created a HD-dvd section that is four feet wide , full of hd-dvd... bluray get the bottom 2 little shelves of it.

Most bestbuy stores should be getting a little layout reset and HD-dvd will have a section for them.

Last edited by Slowpc; 09-25-06 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Slowpc
At my store here (BestBuy)... I created a HD-dvd section that is four feet wide , full of hd-dvd...
Old 11-23-06, 05:34 PM

Popped into my CC here in South FL. VERY nice Blu-Ray rack with plenty of logos all over. No such rack of HD-DVD's. I asked five different salespeople with five different responses - "we don't carry HD-DVD" "they're in another rack on the other side of the store, but I don't know where" "they're coming out in the next few months, and that's when we'll have them" "we like Blu-Ray better"...

I did find an occasional HD-DVD scattered throughout the regular SD-DVD's, but this is very annoyng. And as was mentioned before, they don't carry either of the Toshiba's. I didn't think to ask about the XBOX-360 add-on. I mentioned all of this to a manager, and he said that they are only doing what corporate is directing and sending to them. I was advised to order at CC online. I told him that as far as online, I preferred Amazon. I DID prefer CC for brick and mortar - not any more. I'm done shopping at CC.
Old 11-23-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Best Buy has HD-DVD and Blu-Ray side by side, and probably have about 10% more HD-DVD.
Old 11-23-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll have to check at my CC. They had them at one time, but they were crammed in a small section and like most of the stuff at CC they were in no order.

CC has become pretty unimportant as a retailer anyway so I won't take them not carrying HD DVD to mean anything. Best Buy pulling them will be a huge story.
Old 11-23-06, 07:12 PM

CC has always been iffy with respect to whether it carried HD-DVD; extremely variable by store location. My CC never had it at all.

BB on the other hand seems to be carrying both HD-DVD and BR in quantity... nice if you like paying full MSRP.

Wal-Mart has much better pricing, but the ones around here have a few token titles of each format and that's it. Feeble.
Old 11-23-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Target in AZ just started carring both formats in the past month.
Old 11-26-06, 02:48 AM

At our shitty Best Buy in Pasadena TX, they have 1 side all the way down an isle (3-4 side by side shelves) stocked with only Blue Ray & HD-DVD movies.
Old 11-26-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I haven't given a single dollar to Circuit City since they pushed DiVx.
Old 11-27-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had to go back because Amazon doesn't sell Nacho Libre. I was pleasantly surprised by the change. The discs were placed near the HDTVs, which makes sense but they were just in a standard white wire rack like you'd find clearance DVDs in --- nothing exciting.

They seemed to have a full stock of HD DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Right now they're the only reliable B&M retailer --- too bad their store is like 40 minutes away. I've got another one closer to me but unfortunately that store is managed by teenagers and other species of retarded monkeys.
Old 11-27-06, 03:10 PM

CC in Joliet IL has both. The funny thing was they had the BD display blocking part of the HD DVD display. Both were buried in the DVD dept though. There seemed to be more BD vs HD DVD tiltles on hand. Don't know if that means they are selling more HDDVD or if they are not stocking HDDVD as much.
Old 11-27-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I had to go back because Amazon doesn't sell Nacho Libre. I was pleasantly surprised by the change. The discs were placed near the HDTVs, which makes sense but they were just in a standard white wire rack like you'd find clearance DVDs in --- nothing exciting.

They seemed to have a full stock of HD DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Right now they're the only reliable B&M retailer --- too bad their store is like 40 minutes away. I've got another one closer to me but unfortunately that store is managed by teenagers and other species of retarded monkeys.
Just curious....since DE only has two CC's, which is the good one to shop at?
Old 11-27-06, 03:37 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some CC near me had the HD-DVDs 'mixed in' with the regular DVDs. The flunky associate said "they have the red cases so you can find em easy". Great thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.