Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

BadlyDrawnBoy - Born In the UK

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-31-06, 04:32 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

NEW LP
Last Wednesday evening at Rockfield Studios in Monmouthshire, Damon's long-time partner Claire Hewitt laid down the final vocal touches which close the final track on the new Badly Drawn Boy LP 'Born In The UK'. The album has now been mastered and sent to the pressing plant and Damon's new label EMI aims for the LP to hit the record shop shelves in mid-October. The album will feature 12 new tracks (whittled down from a potential 40 recorded numbers!) and will be the first release since 'One Plus One' in 2004. More news on this will follow very soon.

I love the title song. love love love it.... It's the first single.

http://www.badlydrawnboy.co.uk/audio/player.html

Last edited by BDB; 07-31-06 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sad to say but his output has gotten progressively worse since About a Boy. This hopefully will be a turning point; it's catchy the second time around. I think his bombastic stuff has kept the same nice edge but the slower stuff has gotten pretty bad.

I'd love to see him live again. I saw him during the Bewilderbeast tour. He did three versions of "Fall in a River"...
Old 07-31-06, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with The Bus' statement. His last album, "one plus.." was just completely lacking in tunes (although it had a good production sound to it). Maybe he got Noel Gallagher syndrome, being so prolific with strong songs in a pretty short amount of time that he burned out a little.

Having said that, the new song on his website does sound very good so hopefully he's coming back strong. Ironically, I listed to Hour of the Bewilderbeast the other day not having heard it in a few years and wondered when he'd put out a new record.
Old 08-01-06, 02:56 PM

I don't think he's gotten progressively worse, but I do think that the production on his albums have gotten progressively polished. I've liked all of his albums thus far and look forward to this one. Have You Fed The Fish...? is my favorite I think.
Old 08-11-06, 07:16 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Couple of small tourdates cropping up now..

9-2-06 Seattle, Wa Bumbershoot Festival
10-16-06 San Francisco, Great American Music Hall.
Old 08-12-06, 10:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenacious D
I don't think he's gotten progressively worse, but I do think that the production on his albums have gotten progressively polished. I've liked all of his albums thus far and look forward to this one. Have You Fed The Fish...? is my favorite I think.
and my personal fave from off of that album:
'You Were Right'
Old 08-18-06, 12:12 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

http://monkfeesh.redefine.org/audio.htm
Couple of live tracks from UK TV last week.

Also the video for the single, which I love!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_m76b5Ng3Y
Old 10-05-06, 02:26 PM

so?... has a US release date been announced?
Old 10-06-06, 10:48 AM

It looks like Amazon has it up for pre-order with 10/17/06 release date....only a little over a week away!
Old 10-16-06, 06:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I'm off to the show tonight.
Old 10-17-06, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I'm off to the show tonight.
I anticipate your review...
Old 10-17-06, 11:55 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I have some video clips to upload later to youtube.

the new songs sounded great, he played born in the uk 2 times, as one song, first acoustic, and then tearing it up in his own style.

It was an off night for him, he kept getting frustrated with his equipment whether it was a guitar or mouth organ. But still he was good. He told us he was frustrated that his latest single charted the lowest of any of his singles.

He started Silent Sigh with a cover of Like a Virgin, which gave the crowd a good laugh.

From what I can tell he did not stick the playlist at all he was constantly talking to the band and mixing it up. pissing in the wind, when he played that he was really upset, every word was shit. pissing in the shit etc..

And now I see he's having an in-store at amoeba, I don't know if I can get over to it, supposed to hang out with the mrs.

Tuesday ∙ October 17th ∙ 6 pm
BADLY DRAWN BOY
‘Born In The UK’ is 160 seconds of rollicking rock’n’roll which details the events that have shaped his life since his beginning in 1969. Join us for a live acoustic performance and signing on release date!
Old 10-17-06, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
I have some video clips to upload later to youtube.

the new songs sounded great, he played born in the uk 2 times, as one song, first acoustic, and then tearing it up in his own style.

It was an off night for him, he kept getting frustrated with his equipment whether it was a guitar or mouth organ. But still he was good. He told us he was frustrated that his latest single charted the lowest of any of his singles.

He started Silent Sigh with a cover of Like a Virgin, which gave the crowd a good laugh.

From what I can tell he did not stick the playlist at all he was constantly talking to the band and mixing it up. pissing in the wind, when he played that he was really upset, every word was shit. pissing in the shit etc..

And now I see he's having an in-store at amoeba, I don't know if I can get over to it, supposed to hang out with the mrs.

Tuesday ∙ October 17th ∙ 6 pm
BADLY DRAWN BOY
‘Born In The UK’ is 160 seconds of rollicking rock’n’roll which details the events that have shaped his life since his beginning in 1969. Join us for a live acoustic performance and signing on release date!
so did the show go on.. and on... and on... ?

the last time I saw him he and the show sort of rambled. Not to sound too negative, but his concerts are testing - my fave performance was his one hour set at the Reading Music Festival a number years back.
Old 10-17-06, 12:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

actually lasted about 1hr 45 mins. so not on and on like in the past.
Lots of acoustic stuff as well. or him by himself.
Old 10-17-06, 11:28 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-19-06, 12:35 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Couple of youtubed vids.

Born in the UK (6 mins )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooEApJqH4E

Like a Virgin (his intro to silent sigh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKRsNqOh6GI
Old 10-19-06, 11:14 PM

Just a heads up, if anyone is thinking of picking up "Born In The UK", Best Buy has it on sale this week for 9.99. It wasn't in their ad, so I was surprised to find it on sale there.

Only have heard it once, but I'm really liking it. Big improvement over his last album.