Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody use a Harmony 890 with the HD A-1?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased the Harmony online and have it on its way. Has anybody used this remote or the 880 with the Toshiba?
Old 09-16-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a 658 ( I think thats the model #) It works fabulously.
Old 09-17-06, 12:04 AM

Actually I was going to make a post regarding all in one Remotes like Harmony and ask everyones opinion on which models are the best and which features each one has. I am looking into getting one after using that thing that came with my HD-DVD player for too long. Am sick of not being able to see anything on that remote. It reminds me of the monolith in the movie 2001. Its rectangular, Its black and it has no visable features on it whatsoever including words.

Anyways I am clueless on these things but it seems that everyone uses the Harmony. I would appreciate if you guys could tell me which models I should look at getting and what features they have or dont have. With the massive amount of cash Ihave spent the lst 6 months I would really like to not just buy the top of the line one but maybe get something middle of the road and savea hundred dollars or so. That isunless the mid models suck.

Any information on these would be greatly appreciated.

PS....
Old 09-17-06, 02:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've got the Harmony 880. It's really good, but not trouble free. Actually, I think a lot of the problem is my TV, which takes a while to start up, so it doesn't always accept the input change commands. Overall, though, you should be quite happy with it. I don't know the differences between the 880 and the 890, but presuming the 890 has everything the 880 has plus more, then you'll definitely have a nice remote.

Just be sure to spend some time fine tuning the features. It will be worth it.
Old 09-17-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. The main difference with the 890 is the RF capability, which is something I wanted. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much the same.

My TV takes a while to fire up too so I may see the same issue that you have. I'm looking forward to playing with it when it gets here.
Old 09-17-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really hate the channel and volume buttons on the 880, so I would stay away from that model.

If your TV is slow to start up you can go into the setup menu manually and add in delays. You will just have to be careful to keep the remote pointed in that direction for long periods of time.
Old 09-17-06, 07:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't even think about manual delays. Great idea.
Old 09-17-06, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Harmonys are easy to set up and really take control of your system. But the remote layout has always been a bit imperfect, at least for me. First there weren't hardly any buttons. Now they are too tiny and tightly packed. Some have had the age-old remote problem, poor layout. (like the cursor buttons in a strange place that's hard to use) I like the 659, good price, good layout, fairly full-featured. I think the 680 was their answer to Tivo, with a better layout for DVR users, but it's just too busy for me.

But I use HTM MX-500s. The best layout in the history of remotes (esp for DVR users) even though it is simple and plain, and the ability to label some of the buttons won me over years ago. And power. Serious power. I can't tell you the number of machines I've had where their remote could barely operate the thing at 3'. Teach the commands to my MX-500 and I can operate it from 40' away. This series (MX-500, 700, 850, etc) is harder to program than Harmony, and that will sway many to Harmony. I'm willing to spend a few extra minutes for the layout. So good. Um, invest in rechargeable batteries for the MX series. Probably true for any remote, really. But definitely for these babies.

These 2 product lines (or Prontos for touchscreen fans) are probably the best remotes ever, and 99% of people will find their perfect remote somewhere in one of these 2 lines.
Old 09-19-06, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
The Harmonys are easy to set up and really take control of your system. But the remote layout has always been a bit imperfect, at least for me. First there weren't hardly any buttons. Now they are too tiny and tightly packed. Some have had the age-old remote problem, poor layout. (like the cursor buttons in a strange place that's hard to use) I like the 659, good price, good layout, fairly full-featured. I think the 680 was their answer to Tivo, with a better layout for DVR users, but it's just too busy for me.

But I use HTM MX-500s. The best layout in the history of remotes (esp for DVR users) even though it is simple and plain, and the ability to label some of the buttons won me over years ago. And power. Serious power. I can't tell you the number of machines I've had where their remote could barely operate the thing at 3'. Teach the commands to my MX-500 and I can operate it from 40' away. This series (MX-500, 700, 850, etc) is harder to program than Harmony, and that will sway many to Harmony. I'm willing to spend a few extra minutes for the layout. So good. Um, invest in rechargeable batteries for the MX series. Probably true for any remote, really. But definitely for these babies.

These 2 product lines (or Prontos for touchscreen fans) are probably the best remotes ever, and 99% of people will find their perfect remote somewhere in one of these 2 lines.
thx for the info. I also am a stickler for button placement and would without a doubt go for a model that had better button placement over ease of programming. With that being said I am gonna look into the MX-500, 700 & 850. Thx for the heads up.

PS...
Old 09-20-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nazz
I just purchased the Harmony online and have it on its way. Has anybody used this remote or the 880 with the Toshiba?

I have the Harmony 880 and the Toshiba HD-A1 and had no problem with set up.......
Old 09-20-06, 11:37 AM

ditto on the 880. I've had no problems with it so far.
Old 09-24-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been setting up the 890 this weekend and the HD-A1 was a snap. That's working great and way better than the original remote. The only problem I'm having is getting it to fire up my Denon AVR-3805. I tried the automatic setup and the learning but still having trouble. When I select an activity it doesn't turn on the receiver. If I go into device it also won't turn it on. If I select an activity and then use help it does turn it on which is the most confusing part. The command must be there if the help can power it up.