Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help on FARSCAPE SERIES

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-13-06, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I very interested in watching the "Farscapes Series". I am debating if I should buy the Season 1-4 boxsets, which consists of 10-Discs per season or buying the "Starburst Editions" individually. What is the Difference? Maybe some members who owns the series might help me out. Thanks.
Old 06-13-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The starburst sets are the way to go. They are much cheaper and have more special features then the boxsets. Oh and you are in for a treat. Farscape is AMAZING!
Old 06-13-06, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As someone who owns the 4 season box sets, I can tell you they are expensive, but worth it if you love Farscape. But I'd also recommend you start with the Starburst sets.
Old 06-13-06, 02:23 AM

Is the difference between Boxset and Starburst Edition basically the Special Features?

Any difference in Picture and sound quality?

And just to make sure are the Episodes the same? Any extra episodes on the Starburst Editions?
Old 06-13-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Click on the "Reviews" link at the top of the page and search for Farscape. There are 23 reviews covering the original releases and the Starburst editions. All of your questions about the differences should be answered there.
Old 06-13-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by blackchubby
Is the difference between Boxset and Starburst Edition basically the Special Features?
more special features, and a MUCH cheaper price. I own the boxsets, but the Starbursts are the way to go these days..... Best SciFi series ever. Enjoy.
Old 06-13-06, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the help guys. One more question any word if they are going to make a Boxset of the Starburst Edition soon?
Old 06-13-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh one more thing.....
the first six Starburst Collections (the first two seasons) were originally released on DVD-18s. ADV has switched over to using four DVD9s for each Starburst set instead of two DVD18s starting with Set 7 (the first set for season 3). They also have stopped making the DVD18 versions for the first six sets (due to fan complaints that DVD18s are problematic for many people's dvd-players) and are now using the 4 disc DVD9 versions for them as well. However, many stores still have the less desirable DVD18 versions on shelves or in stock. I would try your best to seek out the DVD9 (single-sided 4 disc versions). This might mean you should get these in a B&M rather than online.
Old 06-13-06, 02:27 PM

garmonbozia what does "DVD18s" stand for? Not familiar with it.
Old 06-13-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the help guys. One more question any word if they are going to make a Boxset of the Starburst Edition soon?
There has been no mention of it yet. I expected they would package three sets together into a complete season about a year after they were first released like they did with the original releases.......but they haven't. I would not be surprised if they made a big box set of all of them a year or so after they finish releasing them all, but that'll be a long wait.
Old 06-13-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

garmonbozia what does "DVD18s" stand for? Not familiar with it.
the number stands for the amount of space in GB on the dvd.

DVD5 = single-sided, single layered
DVD9 = single-sided, dual layered
DVD10 = double-sided, each side single layered
DVD14 = double-sided, one side dual layered, one side single layered
DVD18 = double-sided, both sides are dual layered

DVD18s are often problematic for many players, and apparently are also subject to high rates of failure and defects.
Old 06-13-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've also been looking into these releases....and boy do they seem to be a pain in the ass to acquire.

I thought about getting them from DDD since the sale is on, but most if not all are backordered. DVDEmpire has some, but not others. Same with Amazon. Then there's the issue of getting the DVD18's vs. the DVD9's.

None of the retailers around here seem to carry it regularly. Best Buy has nothing. Fry's had 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of the Starburst, but how do I know they're the "new" versions?

If the full season box sets were cheaper I'd just get them and be done with it. I hate to buy direct from ADV, because they are charging full list price.

I'm hoping ADV might release a full boxset off all four seasons' worth of Starburst Editions by the end of the year. Since 4.1 just came out, and 4.2 is due in August, seems to me they could do 4.3 for October, then a boxset for say December.

If anyone knows of a reliable vendor selling the Starburst editions with DVD9's, I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 06-13-06 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-13-06, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
but how do I know they're the "new" versions?
I am pretty sure the cases are thicker. I saw them in stores and the cases were not the same thickness, else my memory is playing tricks on me. I don't see how you can fit four discs into a regular-sized Amaray case, so the newer versions would have to be thicker, right?
Old 06-13-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've also been looking into these releases....and boy do they seem to be a pain in the ass to acquire.

I thought about getting them from DDD since the sale is on, but most if not all are backordered. DVDEmpire has some, but not others. Same with Amazon. Then there's the issue of getting the DVD18's vs. the DVD9's.

None of the retailers around here seem to carry it regularly. Best Buy has nothing. Fry's had 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of the Starburst, but how do I know they're the "new" versions?
I would suggest getting the season 3 and 4 Starbursts from DDD this week during the sale.

...and if you want to make sure to get all of the season 1 and 2 Starbursts in the DVD9 versions, you could go to your favorite B&M and ask them to order you a copy of each one and hold it for you. Any new ones coming into stock will most likely be the newer ones. If not, just don't purchase the ones that are not, and try to find them elsewhere. just a suggestion.
Old 06-13-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
I would suggest getting the season 3 and 4 Starbursts from DDD this week during the sale.

...and if you want to make sure to get all of the season 1 and 2 Starbursts in the DVD9 versions, you could go to your favorite B&M and ask them to order you a copy of each one and hold it for you. Any new ones coming into stock will most likely be the newer ones. If not, just don't purchase the ones that are not, and try to find them elsewhere. just a suggestion.
I sincerely appreciate your help, and I may try ordering these through my normal DVD shop, who are very accomdating. It's just frustrating that it takes so much work to put a set together.

The ones I saw at Fry's were thicker cases for Season1, so I assume those are the new ones. They had a copy of 2.3 that was single-width. I assume this is the old release. In my research I have not yet seena confirmed case of 2.3 being DVD9's. I wonder if that version even exists in DVD9 yet.
Old 06-14-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ones I saw at Fry's were thicker cases for Season1, so I assume those are the new ones. They had a copy of 2.3 that was single-width. I assume this is the old release.
Yes, I would bet on it. Thicker case = DVD9s. Thinner case = DVD18s.
Old 06-14-06, 10:45 PM

I bought the Starburst Editions of Farscape 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3 from DDD during the 20% off sale. All 3 were thick cases with 4 DVD-9 discs each, so you are probably safe ordering from DDD now.
Old 06-14-06, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could probably also check the UPC (provided by DDD on their product pages) to make sure.
Old 07-02-06, 08:21 PM

Is anyone aware of any recourse for defective DVD-18s? My 1.1 set won't play on my DVD player or my computer. Will ADV provide replacements? My receipt is long since gone.
Old 07-05-06, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ight=starburst

Another thread (worth a laugh):
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=407924

Bottom Line - Definitely go with the starburst releases

Also, for the Peacekeeper Wars, pick up the R2 release. That is, if you are region free:

DVDCompare.net Link
Old 07-06-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
Is anyone aware of any recourse for defective DVD-18s? My 1.1 set won't play on my DVD player or my computer. Will ADV provide replacements? My receipt is long since gone.
I had good luck getting ADV to replace a defective disc from my Farscape season 1 set (large batches of dvds were made where the episode "The Hidden Memory" would not play, so returning it to the store I purchased it from just resulted in me getting another bad copy). I just emailed the customer service address on their site and they gave me instructions on what to do.
Old 08-02-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone interested, I ordered all the 1.x and 2.x Starburst releases from Amazon last week after someone at HTF reported receiving all 4-disc versions. Mine came in yesterday, and they were all 4-disc.

So finally, it looks like ADV has redone all the DVD18 sets.
Old 08-02-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts
As someone who bought them all individually (the first run) I saw you should wait as long as possible
in not to long they will probably start putting them out on HD-DVD
then compleat seasons of star burst will be a decent buy

I really really hate ADV
they have so much of my money