Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Can the Foreign/Art/Independent Film release list be made a sticky?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 07:00 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm of course referring to this thread:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=466118

Which is now being maintained by our own <b>FilmFanSea</b>. It's a tremendous resource, and one which should be made more readily available by being placed as a 'sticky'. I realize we already have sticky thread for new DVD releases, but for many of us it is woefully inadequate. This new thread combines DVD releases from around the world, and concentrates on art cinema, which, unless released by Criterion, is generally ignored in any new release announcements. This thread would fill that huge gap.

I certainly hope Brian isn't offended that I took it upon myself to start this thread about his thread.
Old 05-28-06, 07:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, please.
Old 05-28-06, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Agreed.
Old 06-24-06, 07:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's not a forum I moderate, but from my own experience and observation I can say that one of the problems with stickies is that - after a while - they become <i>invisible</i>; especially if you have a load of them up there. By "invisible" I mean many people tune them out/don't notice they are there. This is evidenced when duplicates are started or when people ask a question the answer to which has been staring them in the face for six months at each forum visit.

Certainly in International & Music I try to keep stickies down to five or less but I know that the choice of which to stickify and which to let sink or swim based on postings is not always appreciated. It is a tough call.

Although this request has been posted in the right place, if you didn't already get a personal response from one of the moderators, maybe you could email a couple or three with your views to see what they think? Please don't expect an immediate response, though. Moderating is a spare time activity and one or more may be away engaging in Real Life.
Old 06-27-06, 09:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
It's not a forum I moderate, but from my own experience and observation I can say that one of the problems with stickies is that - after a while - they become <i>invisible</i>; especially if you have a load of them up there. By "invisible" I mean many people tune them out/don't notice they are there. This is evidenced when duplicates are started or when people ask a question the answer to which has been staring them in the face for six months at each forum visit.
I understand what you're saying, but I actually think this is a benefit, rather than a hindrance. There are a couple of "sticky" threads that I look into frequently. I know where they are, and I can find them quickly. The ones I don't use I can easily ignore, because of the "invisibility" factor. To me this is an example of the "sticky" function working pretty much as designed.

As far as getting any kind of response for my request, there was a moderator comment in the original thread. No one (i.e., no mods) bothered to post in this thread at all. For all I knew my request was completely ignored. Given that we're supposed to use the Feedback Forum for this type of request, this seems a case of the moderators really dropping the ball - if you want us to use this forum for what it was designed for, then why ignore my request here and answer in in the (presumably) inappropriate forum?