Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did you miss this season of "24"? Here's your chance...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-31-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hasn't Jack Bauer been through enough, what with saving the world and taking down a corrupt president and raising FOX's ratings?

Not quite, say the network suits. They're making him relive his just-completed really long day this summer.

For the first time in the show's five-year history, summer reruns of "24" will air on FOX this year. The no-bathroom-breaks adventures of counterterrorism agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) will begin again Friday, June 16. Back-to-back episodes will air each week for 12 weeks, ending right about the time the network rolls out its fall schedule.

Because of "24's" heavily serialized format, FOX has never aired summer reruns of the show before -- and without doubling up, there aren't enough weeks in the offseason to run a full season. The repeats will allow the network to earn a little extra cash on the series.

Serialized shows typically don't repeat as well as close-ended procedurals like "Law & Order" or "CSI," but ratings for the "24" repeats figure to be just as good or better than the lineup of movies FOX typically slots on Friday nights in the summer.

Fueled by a plot featuring nerve gas, the assassination of a former president and evil dealings by the current commander in chief, "24" had a banner year in the Nielsens. The show improved its overall audience by 14 percent over its fourth season and by 12 percent in the coveted adults 18-49 demographic.
http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-fo...p-tv-headlines

IIRC, there were a few questions on whether either Fox or FX would repeat this season. Now we know.
Old 05-31-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outstanding! I missed the 2nd half of the season, now I can watch them vs. waiting on the DVDs.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-31-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very smart of FOX - unusually smart. Those who want to catch up can get the DVDs of previous seasons and record this one until they're caught up.

Easily one of the best seasons of the show IMHO.
Old 05-31-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Better than introducing another fantastic series only to cripple it and cut it halfway through a season.
Old 05-31-06, 10:39 AM

This is great news I just started watching 24 on DVD. I just finished season 2 and am starting on season 3. I guess I need to be done watching season 4 by June 16. I thought I was going to have to wait until later this year to see season 5 on DVD.

The best part of this decision is it will be on Fox and I can watch it in HD.
Old 05-31-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just started watching Season 1. I'm just past the halfway point and loving it. Can I skip directly to season 5 or should I try to catch each season in order?
Old 05-31-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The current fifth season has many story threads that started in the previous season. I'm not saying you'd be lost, but I think it would be the best option to take them in order.
Old 05-31-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I've just started watching Season 1. I'm just past the halfway point and loving it. Can I skip directly to season 5 or should I try to catch each season in order?
Do yourself a favor and watch them in order. There are some great character moments that would be lost on you without seeing Seasons 2-4.
Old 05-31-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
So what Friday shows are they pre-empting with 2 hrs of 24?
Old 05-31-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's cool news. I was always quite bummed when FOX didn't do what they did with the first season of the show - which was to air repeats on their sister station FX on the following two consecutive nights - for all the seasons after the first. Hell, in the pre "nearly every TV show being released on DVD" / pre DVR days, it was the only way I was able to keep up with the show that first year.
Old 05-31-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
While I'm going to say the advice of 24 afficiondos isn't valid, I started watching 24 this season having never the show before. You'll probably miss out on some things if you watch them out of order, but you won't enjoy it any less.
Old 05-31-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
While I'm going to say the advice of 24 afficiondos isn't valid, I started watching 24 this season having never the show before. You'll probably miss out on some things if you watch them out of order, but you won't enjoy it any less.
Thanks for the advice. But I think I'll just watch them in order. I don't see any good reason not to. I might just TiVo season 5, but hold off until I get around to seasons 2-4 first.
Old 05-31-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Michelle? Chloe? Edgar? the Chinese? Heller? Audrey? Logan?

None of these characters were in the first season. All their development and motivations will be lost if skipping ahead.

Can you still enjoy it? Possibly, but I think it would just be that much more rewarding watching them in order.

Not to mention if he skips ahead he won't find out about: HUGE FUCKING SPOILER FOR SEASON 1, DO NOT READ MJEHarrison

Spoiler:
Nina Meyers outcome. Honestly, who wouldn't want to watch in order after that finale to see what happens next?

I think you don't have to worry about skipping ahead, MJE. After finishing the first season you won't want to. I vote for tivoing and catching up first.
Old 06-01-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Michelle? Chloe? Edgar? the Chinese? Heller? Audrey? Logan?

None of these characters were in the first season. All their development and motivations will be lost if skipping ahead.

Can you still enjoy it? Possibly, but I think it would just be that much more rewarding watching them in order.

Not to mention if he skips ahead he won't find out about: HUGE FUCKING SPOILER FOR SEASON 1, DO NOT READ MJEHarrison

Spoiler:
Nina Meyers outcome. Honestly, who wouldn't want to watch in order after that finale to see what happens next?

I think you don't have to worry about skipping ahead, MJE. After finishing the first season you won't want to. I vote for tivoing and catching up first.
Best argument is right there. I wouldn't skip. I mean if time is an issue (as it often IS in 24), you might want to just wait until S5 is on DVD. S6 won't be starting until January. By then you might own a DVD-R to which to burn your episodes to keep you Tivo from getting clogged up!
Old 06-01-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Best argument is right there. I wouldn't skip. I mean if time is an issue (as it often IS in 24), you might want to just wait until S5 is on DVD.
It's not an issue. I still have plenty of other TV-on-DVD to keep me going (Monk 1-3, Veronica Mars 1, X-Files 4-9). Season 5 will be out before I ever get around to it. Although as much as I'm enjoying it, it will be tough when it's over to start on another show. I might not have the control and go out and get season 2. Either way, I'll make sure I watch season 2 next.

Originally Posted by rfduncan
S6 won't be starting until January. By then you might own a DVD-R to which to burn your episodes to keep you Tivo from getting clogged up!
I can already move shows from my DirecTivo to my PC and burn them from there.
Old 06-16-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bump as a reminder for those interested. This starts tonight.