Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony's 4K DLP system at the Arclight with 'DaVinci Code' screening - anyone seen it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sony's 4K DLP system at the Arclight with 'DaVinci Code' screening - anyone seen it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 03:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

USA Today: Sony unveils new digital projector as theaters gear up to dump film

from what I have read about this new system is that colour and resolution is supposedly better the traditional 2K DLP systems that most theatre are outfitted with. Widescreen Review noted that this system could rival and match the resolution of 70mm film.

I gather this is the first and only digital presentation of 'The DaVinci Code' using Sony's new digital system in the US right now or is there a New York City theatre outfitted as such? - has anyone been to LA's Arclight theatre and seen this - I love to hear what you think of the overall presentation of the film.

Arclight: 'DaVinci Code'

Last edited by Giles; 05-25-06 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Widescreen Review noted that this system could rival and match the resolution of 70mm film.
Curious statement. The question is was the film shot with 4K digital cameras, as well as projected with a 4K digital projector. Or was it shot with 2K digital cameras. Otherwise you're limited by 2K resolution.
Old 05-25-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, I saw it and M:I 3 in digital. Looks very, very clean.
Old 05-25-06, 10:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the image is very sharp and clean. I was slightly more impressed with the MI:3 presentation only because that film uses richer colors. I think the announcer said that there are only two of these projectors in the country and the other one is on the opposite coast. I'm crossing my fingers that they use the same projector to show Miami Vice.
Old 05-27-06, 09:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Did a bit more research on this, and ArcLight's Sony system is the definately the first and only (so far) setup - obviousily the next system introduction has to be in NYC - will definately have to check it out when it makes it East Coast debut.