Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Microsoft Planning To Release A Slim Xbox?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-01-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been away from gaming for months now and I don't have a clue of what is going on now. I haven't played my xbox and suddently it doesn't work
The way is going I'm going to have to quit playing games.

Are there any news of a slimmer xbox?
Old 04-01-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They aren't going to make a slim Xbox.

The Xbox is dead, MS isn't making any new 1st party games. They aren't going to sink any more money into it.
Old 04-01-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As tenaciousdave said, MS would probably prefer not to sell another Xbox at all... since they are still in the area of its life cycle where they are still losing money on each one sold and they have the 360 out to support, etc.
Old 04-01-06, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Microsoft completely quit producing the Xbox hardware in January? I thought I read that on either Gamespot or IGN. That would mean that the original Xbox is now dead; once the hardware sells out in stores now, there won't be any new ones to replace them.

Also, wouldn't it be almost impossible to make a slim Xbox? It is so big because it is the only current-gen console with a built-in hard drive. I don't think it would be possible to make a slimmer Xbox and still include the hard drive.
Old 04-01-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't just the hard drive -- the HDD expansion bay in the pre-slimline PS2 took up as much space as the Xbox hard drive (not surprising, since both systems used 3.5" drives), yet it was still smaller than the Xbox. The original Xbox used a nearly full-sized ATX motherboard, as opposed to the custom form factor used for the 360 mobo. If MS really wanted to they could shrink the motherboard significantly (much like Sony did with the PSone and slimline PS2) and possibly even replace the hard drive with a smaller 2.5" drive. But MS won't be doing that for the reasons already covered.
Old 04-02-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

slim what ha come on nothing screams video game console made by an american company better than a hugh black box and a little smaller but still oversized looking iPod box.

i mean if you look at this its a lot like the difference a few decades ago between the small jap import cars and the end of the muscle cars.
Old 04-02-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=kgrogers1979]Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Microsoft completely quit producing the Xbox hardware in January? I thought I read that on either Gamespot or IGN. /QUOTE]

I'm going to try and search for it.

Do you have the link just in case I can't find it?
Old 04-02-06, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Rumors years ago (e3 2003...?) about a Slim Xbox. Never happened. Will never happen.
Old 04-02-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Microsoft completely quit producing the Xbox hardware in January? I thought I read that on either Gamespot or IGN. That would mean that the original Xbox is now dead; once the hardware sells out in stores now, there won't be any new ones to replace them.

Also, wouldn't it be almost impossible to make a slim Xbox? It is so big because it is the only current-gen console with a built-in hard drive. I don't think it would be possible to make a slimmer Xbox and still include the hard drive.
There were rumors that they were going to stop producing them, I think MS might have even said it at E3 last year.

Although a couple of months ago they said they weren't stopping production, but it sounded fairly ambiguous.

I'm still trying to find the story.

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 04-02-06 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-02-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't MS assemble the Xbox from off-the-shelf parts? If so, I don't think it ever has been plausible for them to shrink the system like Sony.
Old 04-02-06, 08:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=kar10]
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Microsoft completely quit producing the Xbox hardware in January? I thought I read that on either Gamespot or IGN. /QUOTE]

I'm going to try and search for it.

Do you have the link just in case I can't find it?

No sorry I don't have the link. I just remember reading something along the lines of Microsoft saying that their focus is now 100% Xbox360, and as far as they are concerned, the original Xbox is now dead.

In my area, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Circuit City have no more Xbox hardware. Either that means Microsoft has indeed stopped supplying Xboxes, or the stores have just stopped ordering them.
Old 04-02-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's just like their older versions of Windows, when a new version ships they stop talking about the old one in any public form. All patches are released "silently" and its like the previous version does nott really exist anymore.
Old 04-03-06, 10:25 AM

a big part of the reason MS shelved the original xbox so quickly is the bad deal they signed with Nvidia. MS was paying huge royalties on every machine, and there was no language in the agreement to reduce or eliminate said royalty over time. This is why they couldnt wait to stop making Xboxes, and why there will never be a slim Xbox.

the irony of course is that MS was taking a lot of heat over whether or not 360 would have backwards compatibility, so they kludged it in, but there was no way to do it without violating some of Nvidia's IP. So MS has to pay Nvidia a royalty on 360s, but its supposedly much smaller as there is no actual infringing silicon, just the way it runs games.
Old 04-05-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

not a slim xbox but damn cool IMO

http://download.divx.com/labs/Video/...Origami01.html
Old 04-05-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Bummer.

My XBOX started acting up this morning and I think it's about to give up the ghost. The unit has slowed to a crawl.