Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

MPA Study Finds Theatrical Experience Beats Home Viewing

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 03-14-06, 09:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Author: JOHN LATCHEM
[email protected]
Posted: March 10, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

Eight in 10 moviegoers are satisfied with the theatrical experience, according to a worldwide market research report by the Motion Picture Association.

The survey found 81% were satisfied at the last movie they attended, calling it “time and money well spent”; 15% found they should have waited for the DVD.

Overall, 69% of movie fans prefer seeing a movie in theaters, compared to 31% at home.

Young men in the study were most likely to prefer the theatrical experience. The study found 81% of men under 25 said the theater was the ultimate movie-watching experience compared with watching at home; 71% of men 25 and older preferred the theater.

Women in the study were more partial to home viewing. Among women, those under 25 preferred staying home 31% of the time, compared to 36% for their 25-and-older counterparts.

Still, moviegoers are big DVD buyers. About 42% of moviegoers plan to buy the DVD of the last movie they saw, with 56% of these DVD fans making the decision immediately after leaving the theater. This means one-quarter of all moviegoers walk out of the theater wanting to buy the DVD, which would seem to lend credence to a proposed simultaneous release strategy of exhibiting a film theatrically and selling the DVD in the lobby.

The MPA study also found avid technology users were more likely to see a movie in theaters. One in five moviegoers who reported seeing at least one movie in 2005 use four or more entertainment technologies (DVD player, premium cable, VOD, online subscription service, DVR, video game system, etc.). That 20% of moviegoers sees an average of 8.2 movies per year. Meanwhile, other moviegoers averaged 6.2 movies per year.

The top tech item in both camps was a DVD player, owned by 91% of avid technology using moviegoers compared to 76% for the lower-tech household group. Big screen TVs were owned by 82% of avids compared to 21% of their counterparts.

More new films were released theatrically in 2005 than in history, with 549 new films, compared to 520 in 2004.

But the 2005 domestic box office totaled only $8.99 billion, its lowest level since 2001, down from $9.54 billion in 2004, a 5.7% drop. Even removing 2004’s The Passion of the Christ, which drew upon an audience that traditionally does not go to theaters, from the equation, the box office still was down 2%.

Worldwide numbers were more upbeat. While 2005 totals fell 7.9% from 2004, the $23.24 billion earned last year was up 14% from 2003 and up 46% from 2000.

U.S. theater admissions fell to 1.4 billion, down 8.7% from 2004 and at their lowest level since 1997.

The average domestic ticket price rose from $5.39 in 2000 to $6.41 last year.

The MPA also reported a “blockbuster gap,” in that eight films surpassed the $200 million benchmark in 2005, compared to five in 2004, but those films that did not reach $200 million underperformed compared to 2004
http://www.homemediaretailing.com/in...=2&newsid=8760

I bet that the people who "organized" this research only passed the survey in theaters. I just think this was another attempt by the MPA to blame piracy for the "lower" profits instead of the crappy, expensive films that are being released and the bad to horrible theater experience that many moviegoers have been through. With this "research" they expect to bring back viewers to the theater. This is a continuation of their agenda of "Theater - good, DVD - bad" that started at the Oscars.

Last edited by dx23; 03-14-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-14-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Theater only good if people don't talk during movie and no cell phones go off.
Old 03-14-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Theater only good if people don't talk during movie and no cell phones go off.
And the screen is clean, and the bulb is fresh and bright, and there is no odd smell, and feet don't stick to the floor, and I bring in my own food because $10 for a popcorn and drink is organized rape, and no crying babies, and person in front of me not too tall, and it's not flu season, and that speaker toward the front right doesn't have that annoying buzzing, and I get the seat I prefer (40% up the theater rows, centered), and no one kicking the back of my chair, and they can pause the movie if I have to go pee, and...
Old 03-14-06, 10:46 AM
Retired

Personally I love going to the theater. I watch more movies at home just because of limited time and the cheapness of Netflix...but movies are meant to be seen on the big screen.

When I go I either go weekday matinees, late weeknight showings (Sun-thurs) or early weekend mornings. Theaters are nearly empty, so no problems with noisy patrons, and I've never had any presentation problems at the theaters I go to.
Old 03-14-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
If I had to go to the theater, my dog would be missing out on a lot of great movies.
Old 03-14-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, clearly, the MPA is wrong...
Old 03-14-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Well, clearly, the MPA is wrong...

Obviously...

Young men in the study were most likely to prefer the theatrical experience. The study found 81% of men under 25 said the theater was the ultimate movie-watching experience compared with watching at home; 71% of men 25 and older preferred the theater.
Hmm... the only reason those 81% prefer the theater is because they don't have their own house & can't afford their own home theater. So it makes sense that the demographic with access($$) to a home theater prefer that route.
Old 03-14-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Younger teens prefer the theater because:

1) they can sneak into a movie that they don't want to rent at mom & dad's
2) they can grope each other in the dark for the duration
Old 03-14-06, 02:04 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hmm... the only reason those 81% prefer the theater is because they don't have their own house & can't afford their own home theater. So it makes sense that the demographic with access($$) to a home theater prefer that route.
But is also says 71% of those 25 and older prefered the theater.

Some hate it, definitely a majority here. But DVD talk is hardly representative of the average theater goer or movie watching public in general.

People here are more likely to have good home theaters and more likely to be very in to movies and obsessed with having absolute silence while watching than the average person who just catches a few blockbuster movies and mainly goes as dates or something to do with friends.
Old 03-14-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
"Eight in 10 moviegoers are satisfied with the theatrical experience"

well duh, way to skew the results.
If they weren't satisfied, they'd be 'home theater enthusiasts' or 'online rental members'. Most people who are not satisfied, don't experience the 'theatrical experience' much anymore, so they wouldn't even be in this survey. Their entire survey pool were people who were satisfied enough with the theater experience to go to one in the first place.
I actually agree to an extent--except for the 'bad' instances, which are usually few and far between, I'm generally 'satisfied' with going to a movie, when I do. Of course, I go 1 or 2 times a year, whereas I use my dvd player and HT almost daily, so it's sort of 'cognitive dissonance'--if I make the effort to go to a theatre, and I spent the 20+ bucks to do the whole movie thing, it's either going to be crap, in which case I'll complain to management, or 'satisfying.'

And I agree, I think 'most' people in a movie theater are 'normal' people, who might not know the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS [as an example], etc. My parents would probably be 'satisfied' with the 'movie experience.' They do have a dvd player, [both of them loved Firefly, by the way] and were members of Netflix, but before hey moved, they'd go to the movies twice a month or so. Not because they were huge fans, but because they had a dollar theater that was halfprice on Tuesday, so on Tuesday nights they could have a 'night out' with dinner [fast food with a coupon], movie, and popcorn [with free refills] for around than ten bucks. And they would wait long enough to see the movie, that they might be one of ten people in the room. If I had easy access to that, I'd probably be 'satisfied' as well.
Old 03-14-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
90% of drivers say driving a car is preferable to public transportation.
Old 03-14-06, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Numanoid
90% of drivers say driving a car is preferable to public transportation.

exactly my point.
Old 03-14-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no problems with the presentations of my theaters. There are about 5 or 6 close by and all of them have top notch seating with very good audio/video quality. I have noticed the main large theater I go to now has a huge "No Cell Phones" sign up. Probably won't help, but it's nice to see. They must've had lots of complaints.
Old 03-14-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enable cell blockers and establish age restrictions and I'll go back to the theaters more. The theater experience has gotten progressively worse for me over the past few years, while my home theater has gotten progressively better, so I'm not in the MPA's majority.
Old 03-24-06, 01:15 PM

Let's not forget those great commercials that are added to the program! Of course they are called "on-screen entertainment" or such.

Did the MPA ask viewers if they "enjoyed" watching commercials as part of the movie-going experience?
Old 03-24-06, 06:37 PM

I love going to the theatre but i usually get in free and go when the movie won't have a crowd (i hate people . I went last night and my brother and I were the only ones in the 10:25pm showing of Eight Below. Cost was gas to and from and paid $5.25 for nachos the only thing i buy at the concession. Arrived after the commericals love when that happens and had a great time.