Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode - remastered

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-11-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post date: March 1st, 2006
The albums of Depeche Mode will be reissued over the next year. Not only will the albums be fully remastered, but they will also contain 5.1 surround mixes, along with other bonuses. The first batch of CD's will be "Speak & Spell" (with Daniel Miller as the executive producer), "Music For The Masses" (with Dave Bascombe, Alan Wilder and Daniel Miller as executive producers) and "Violator" (with Flood, Alan Wilder and Daniel Miller as executive producers). Full details are now available on our special "Remasters" micro-site . As more of the titles are released later this year, the micro-site will have the news you need!

www.depechemode.com
Old 03-11-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
This is such great news. If you don't have a copy of "Playing the Angel" in 5.1......get it NOW!
Old 03-13-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I find it interesting that Alan Wilder seems to be involved in these releases. I always found it kind of crappy how that band these days acts as if Alan was never in the band. Seems to me that he was involved in their best stuff.
Old 03-13-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This explains why Depeche Mode was the #1 artist listened to in Music Talk last week.
Old 03-13-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn that rules! I got most my DM Cds for free so I will get these. Too bad I own them all and it looks like I gotta get em all again.

So are these 2 CD sets with the regular and the DVD. Or are they seperate releases? I hope its together for around $15; anything else is uncivilized
Old 03-13-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not certain about the domestic North American releases... I believe they are DVD-video resolution only (meaning, I guess, Dolby Digital or DTS), and not hi-res DVD-Audio. I'm also unsure if it's DVD-V + CD or Dualdisc.

Don't know much, do I?

Actually, I do know this: the same remixes and remasters will be available on hi-res SACD releases in Europe, so I'm importing them just as I imported the double-disc DVD-A + CD releases of the Talking Heads catalog (to avoid the crap Dualdisc format they were released on in the States). Yes, it sucks to be on the continent getting the short end of the stick, and I'll be paying a bit more to import them.
Old 06-08-06, 10:17 PM

Anyone pick up the US versions of the remasters? Came out on Tuesday.
Old 06-09-06, 01:30 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sherm42
I find it interesting that Alan Wilder seems to be involved in these releases. I always found it kind of crappy how that band these days acts as if Alan was never in the band. Seems to me that he was involved in their best stuff.
I agree 100% with you but it's been over 10 years since Alan left Depeche on his terms. Also from what I've read and heard in the past, Depeche really don't go out of their way to credit Alan because they don't have to. I guess it might be like someone always talking about an ex, what's the point. They want to move forward. You have to imagine the band realizes they were always better with Alan than they were without. Their CD sales indicate that. But during and after Songs Of Faith And Devotion both Alan and the band had different ideas of where they should be going musically.

Alan is a true genius when it comes to composing and producing, just check out his solo work Recoil and also all the bands that he has produced. One of the latest being NIN's "With Teeth" which happens to be amazing (Imo), this coming from someone who isn't a big NIN fan. Give this a listen really loud and you'll hear Alan all over the place.

As far as Alan being involved in the re-mastering process, Daniel Miller has so much respect for Alan that it comes as no surprise. Look at how Daniel has backed Alan's Recoil project. Recoil has to be some of the most un-mainstream, un-Depeche sounding music to come out of Mute and yet it they still make it.

We can only hope that one day Depeche and Alan can work together again (crosses fingers) because in the end isn't that what rock-n-roll breaks-ups are all about, getting back together?

Last edited by hal9000; 06-11-06 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-10-06, 11:05 PM

I was going to pic up Violator today but couldnt find it, than I had a few thoughts, maybe you guys could answer something for me:

1. has anyone compared these to the originals? Ive heard these remasters are very low and not that great

2. are the Bsides ONLY on the 5.1 DVD or are they on the regular CD as well? I want to here these tracks all the time aswell

3. Are these double sided or anything?

Thanks to anyone who can help out.
Old 06-11-06, 12:32 AM

A big problem with remastered CDs these days is that they've been severely dynamically compressed, so they sound "louder" for boom box and iPod users, but it sounds like c#@p on real sound systems. It's why the latest Nickelback album is so fatiguing to listen to.

Record company execs think that to compete their CDs must be "louder" than the competition. I have no idea where they get these notions.

Do the Depeche Mode remasters suffer from this.
Old 06-11-06, 11:10 AM

I have the English versions of the and they sound pretty great to me. Violater is not that different in volume from the previous releases as that album always sounded great. Music For the Masses sounds noticeably better and louder. Didn't get Speak and Spell.

The B-Sides are only located on the DVD. Interestingly, the extra tracks are not on Music for the Masses. The album ends at Pimpf, no remixes or Pleasure Little Treasure on that disc.
Old 06-11-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
One of the latest being NIN's "With Teeth" which happens to be amazing (Imo), this coming from someone who isn't a big NIN fan. Give this a listen really loud and you'll hear Alan all over the place.
I'm pretty sure you are confusing Alan Wilder with Alan Moulder.
Old 06-11-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I waited this long for the Domestics to come out, but now I'm torn on what to get (Import or Domestic).

Domestic's cheaper, but it doesn't have SACD (which doesn't matter to me now, since I don't have the audio set-up to enjoy it, but maybe down the road I will...?)

Import's more expensive, but the DVD is PAL (which I guess doesn't matter if I watch it on my laptop, but how often will I watch these short documentaries anyway? I'm sure they'll end up on YouTube.com, if they haven't already).

The big question I still have is whether the bonus audio tracks on the DVD are rippable to a mp3s for my iPod and/or somehow get them onto a regular old CD for the car. I don't want to only be able to enjoy these songs at home.
Old 06-11-06, 04:38 PM

Let's just say that there are ways to get the audio portions of the bonus tracks into both MP3 form and into a form suitable for CD (WAV). However, it would probably not be technically legal. Such as using DVD Decrypter.
Old 06-11-06, 05:03 PM

Ehh screw that than. I dont really hear CDs on a DVD player and I want everything on one CD. Besides I have all the Bsides on an import CD I bought years ago.
Old 06-11-06, 10:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
Ehh screw that than. I dont really hear CDs on a DVD player and I want everything on one CD. Besides I have all the Bsides on an import CD I bought years ago.
so I guess you don't have surround sound then?
Old 06-12-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's the difference between the SACD and DVD-Audio formats anyway? I just noticed that, on the Domestic, the DVD repeats the songs on the CD, but in a 5.1 mix.

If that's the case, then why are some complaining about the SACD not being available on the Domestic (unless it's just the annoyance of having to use a DVD player instead of a CD player to enjoy the 5.1 mix)?
Old 06-12-06, 12:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
oh I see what you're saying, it's just a preference of mine since I do have a SACD player, and can notice the difference in sound clarity that SACD's offer. Let's put it this way, if a SACD and DVD-Audio version of the same album came out, I would most definately purchase the SACD over the DVD-A in a heartbeat.
Old 06-24-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
I'm not certain about the domestic North American releases... I believe they are DVD-video resolution only (meaning, I guess, Dolby Digital or DTS), and not hi-res DVD-Audio. I'm also unsure if it's DVD-V + CD or Dualdisc.

Don't know much, do I?

Actually, I do know this: the same remixes and remasters will be available on hi-res SACD releases in Europe, so I'm importing them just as I imported the double-disc DVD-A + CD releases of the Talking Heads catalog (to avoid the crap Dualdisc format they were released on in the States). Yes, it sucks to be on the continent getting the short end of the stick, and I'll be paying a bit more to import them.
Okay, I don't have an SACD player anyway so I won't be getting the UK versions.

In my car, I can play DVD-Audio and DTS Audio discs, but not DVD-Video discs with DTS options. So, I'm guessing that the reissued DVD won't play in my car... is that correct? I don't want to buy it unless I can play it in my car.